+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Coffee debate - full strength, decaf or none??

Right , well I am bored on a Friday morning so thought I would start a debate on something I ponder every day....

Coffee - what did you / are you doing to help get your BFP?

I love my coffee, and while I only have one a day I feel guilty every time and switch between full strength, decaf or none depending on my mood. I know naturopaths don't like the chemicals in decaf and too much of the full strength is supposed to not nelp the TTC - ahhhh

I would love to hear everyone's take on the coffee thing?
    Last edited by Scruffy; 01-07-2011 at 12:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have one a day leading up to transfer and then switch to one tea a day during TWW. Not sure why i stop the coffee, as I'm pretty sure it makes no difference in the end!! Around the world there are probably thousands of people getting preggers everyday drinking coffee, smoking, drinking etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Vesper,

It's amazing the things we drive ourselves mad over that non-ivfer's don't even give a second thought!!!

I hope all is going well for you?

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I cut it out totally during IVF & pregnancy - (even chocolate in my first pregnancy & i limit it in the second pregnancy). I had two miscarriages prior to IVF & wanted to do everything to ensure i didnt jeopardise the pregnancy. I was drinking coffee during those pregnancies so I wanted to make sure I did everything in my power this time around to ensure a healthy pregnancy especially in the early stages. Caffeine is actually a drug & there are a number of studies linking caffeine in excess of 200mg with miscarriage & depending on the strength & size of your coffee its not hard to get to that amount. I can't remember the exact figures but I think caffiene increases the risk three fold if you drink an excess of 200 or 300mg per day. There is another study in the US that indicates 1 cup of coffee per day reduces your chances of becoming pregnant by up to 50%. The trick is, you have to know how much caffiene is in your coffee & really varies so much.Even a cup of tea can vary between 70mg to 180mg depending on the tea & size of mug. If you decide to breastfeed, you have to monitor your caffeine intake then as well - but there are guidelines on the ABA website (as it does enter the breastmilk). Caffeine crosses the placenta & into breastmilk easily.

I havent had a cup of coffee or tea for either of my pregnancies. I let myself a very small amount of chocolate every other day to give me a bit of a boost but its a very small amount & really only because i am studying at the moment so i need a bit of a lift sometimes.

My OB said it is probably fine to have a cup of tea everyday, & i know many people that still have tea during pregnancy - but I haven't just to be extra careful. I think I am still a bit paranoid, but IVF can do that to you as you have to go to such great lengths to actually even get pregnant in the first place.

at the very least i would not have any while trying to conceive or during the first 3 - 4 months of pregnancy.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 01-07-2011 at 12:30.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Scruffy (01-07-2011)

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Scruffy: Oh i love a good friday BH post to finish off the week . I don't like coffee so have one tea every morning.

We are doing IVF due to severe MFI. My DH looooves his coffee - ususally only has 2 a day but they are both double shots. Our first cycle we had a pretty good cycle, 1 fresh transfer wich resulted in BFP but MC at 8 weeks then chemical pg and then a BFN. Although we did have great embies and manged to get three frozen blasts. DH had abstained from coffee for 6 months prior to this cycle and took Menevit.

We then did a second stim and DH had not time to prepare so had been drinking coffee for 6 months in the lead up and only took Menevit for 1 month prior to cycle. It was our worst cycle. 1 crappy day 5 to transfer and no frosties. (even our fert rate was worse and by day three all our embies but 2 had died off)

It could be a total conisidence but the coffee and Menevit where the only things he did differently. We are just about to start out third stim and DH has been off coffee and in a pretty strict routine of vitamins, supps and herbs for the last three months. I am hoping it makes a BIG difference.

But my point is we asked our FS if the coffee was a reason for such a 5hit cycle and he said no that DH could continue his 2 double shot coffees a day, i put my foot down and said no though. It just doent feel right that he should be drinking that much of it given our last cycle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EternalOptimist For This Useful Post:

Scruffy (01-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scruffy- yes, I think us IVFers are an extra-special paranoid breed I'm going well, started new cycle today and trying to feel confident...

EO- I've restricted dh to one a day. He's of Italian desent and I think he found the limited alcohol thing much easier to deal with then the coffee restriction!! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I would struggle to get DH off ALL alcohol and coffee, but he does listen to my occasional rantings to limit them

I started him on Menevit about six weeks ago, it was a struggle as all his sperm test have come back fabulous but every extra embie that can help us with PGD testing is a bonus so he caved in

Thanks for the info Wicket and EO. I intermittently cut out caffeine but now I am determined to do it properly (maybe a tea a day though, esp in winter!) Luckily don't have a sweet tooth so can't remember the last time I had chocolate.

Vesper - I have everything crossed for you on this cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    To get our BFP's for both pregnancies, I completely cut out coffee and alcohol and so did DH. Worked both times first go, good luck.

I still miss my coffee but its been 3 years now. I'm addicted to hot milo these days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - great effort Butterfli You are my new inspiration

Congrats on the latest BFP!!!