+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with night weaning

My DS is nearly 18 months and on average enjoys 2bf every night (plus a feed before bed). I'm really keen to wean him off night feeds, but this is the only way i can settle him back to sleep. I'm still happy to bf through the day, but want to get some sleep at night! Does any one have any suggestions on how i can make this least stressfull for both of us?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I so know how you feel- and doesn't everyone just give you heaps about it...well everyone seems to give me heaps. I've got twins- a girl and a boy- and this is what I've done- which has kind mostly worked for my girl- but my boy is still a bit of a waker- though he's only just started settling without booby- they're two.

I told them around 18 months I think (when I knew that they understood me) that there was no more booby in the night. The first night was the hardest as I had to stay strong while I held them and they cried telling me how much they needed booby- eventually they accepted that there was no booby and went to sleep. After a week my DD was sleeping through- though DS still isn't really.

Of course sometimes I give in- it's more tiring to hold them while they are crying for it, then actually just giving them a feed and drift off back to sleep with them. Also- if there are any teeth or sickness then you have to go back through the whole process once they are over it.

My whole thing was wanting them to understand what I'm saying- I couldn't just let them cry it out by themselves- it's so emotive isn't it.

I wish you well and congratulate you on giving your baby what he needs!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh im going through this one right now i have the day boob down to 3 feeds but he still wants booby about twice a night and i find it so hard to say no during the night i try and cuddle him back to sleep but he refuses, i don,t mind still Bf him but like you i need some sleep and it does get very emotional as they so love there booby...lol ...jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kylie, I don't envy you having to get up to bf 2 babies at night! Congratulations on making it this far!

I know what you mean about people giving you heaps. I'm sick of hearing 'haven't you weaned him yet!'. Some people just don't get it & can't understand why. They're all entitled to their own opinions though i guess, doesn't mean we have to listen to them though

My DS has started to improve now. Lately he's only been waking once a night. Sometimes settles with a feed, sometimes without. so he might start sleeping through.

Jo_jo I know what you mean about it being so hard to refuse boobie. They know what they want and can't understand why all of a sudden they can't have it. It breaks my heart, but i know in the long run a full nights sleep for all of us, will do us all good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks- that's sweet- I don't know how I do it either sometimes- but I have just coped cause I have to. My hubby has been really sweet of late- and got up with the bubs in the morning so I can catch a little more sleep. I also try and rest during the day- but it doesn't happen much.

When it gets tough- and it does- I just have to remember the last time they were sick which reminds me of how benificial it is to continue breastfeeding- not only is it such a comfort to them when they are sick- they aren't sick for long and I know that they are getting the good stuff they need to help them get better.

Also- I remind myself daily that booby is the only thing that gets two grumpy babies quiet and settled quickly. Which is a really important thing when you have 2 two year olds chucking a tantrum!!!

I know it's not for everyone- but it's sure worked for me!!

But it would be just blissful if DS would sleep all night!!! Can't have everything- and I think boys seem to be a bit more needy in the cuddly part- well my boy is anyway!!

When people give me a hard time I tell them that I'm just doing what the WHO recommends- bf till at least two- and that most of the world mummies sleep with their babies and feed all night long for a long time. It's just our culture that seems to have this obsession with teaching our babies to sleep for 12 hours a night...