+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default would you breastfeed infront of a friend who was uncomfortable?

My friend who I have known for years and years is clearly very uneasy with breastfeeding. Her family are huge huge prudes. She is one of those girls who had to hide the fact she had boyfriends from her mum until she was 21. She sees breasts as a very sexual thing and is really uptight about nudity etc. Don't get me wrong, she isn't uptight about sex itself. When I had my last baby, she was weird about me feeding my baby infront of her, particularly after we had an incedent in a hungry jacks where a bunch of guys said some really grosse things and um.. Said they wanted to drink my breast milk. Lovely. We are a bit older now and you would think she had got over it but yesterday when I said I needed to feed new dd at the park she suggested I go sit in my car?!?! I said hmm no that sounds uncomfortable. Then she said "well I understand if you need to go home then". Wth? Instead I went and sat on a park bench, which felt a bit lonely tbh. Anyway I don't knoow what to do. I love her but I can't run away and hide when I need to feed my baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. It's about the baby not anyone else. If they are uncomfortable they can look away

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-06-2011),Sheer Bliss  (24-06-2011),trishalishous  (23-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would continue to feed The problem is HERS, not yours or bubs. If she doesn't like it she can walk away without making a feeding mother move!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-06-2011),Sheer Bliss  (24-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel this way too. I don't knou why my boobs freak her out so much. Back in high school we used to wear hardly any clothes most of the time. But her level of discomfort makes ME uncomfortable. Ugh its so awkward. I should probably use something as a cover but you know what its like with a newborn. We haven't got it perfect yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    To make her feel less uncomfortable I would just pop a muslim wrap over. When I was breastfeeding I used to always ask if the person was comfortable with me breastfeeding, luckily for me my friends and family were all fine with it. If you were in your own home, then I would feed as normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have u had a chat to her about it? Maybe explain to her my bfing is important and that it's a natural thing. Cld u compromise and have a blanket or sheet over Bub whilst u feed?
    If she's a good friend this will b worked out. Unfortunately not everyone is comfortable with bf. I don't bf (cldnt) but I completely understand it and do not and will not condemn anyone who does it I have to admit I have to look away when my friends pop the boob out but I don't make a big deal about it and just carry on like normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely I would continue to feed my child, it's such a shame your friend has such a distorted view of something that is non-sexual, beautiful and natural. If I were you, I would be trying to de-sensitise her to it and would continue to feed in front of her, speaking of it's benefits etc. Hoepfully the more she sees you feeding, the less prudish she would be about it, but then again, she may just walk away anyway, so that theory goes out the window!

I actually feel for your friend, I would hate to be female and so uptight and prudish about sexuality, let alone breastfeeding which has nothing to do with sexuality. It must be a lot of work to stay so prudish in such an overly sexualised world these days.

MyAlterEgo is offline Love my hubby, my kids, my life what more could I want.... oh yes another bubba
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would tell her to go sit on her own and be a hermit if she can't accept your babies need to be fed, maybe (if you don't already put a bunny rug over to help cover if you think it would help but personally I think it is her issue not yours.

***Oh look it's an ad for iPhone hiding at the bottom of my post***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get how it makes you feel awkward too, especially with a newborn!
    Just try to remember its entirely her choice to look, its not like you are smacking her in the eye with your boob its just like a stupid tv show..I dont like it so I turn away..easy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (23-06-2011)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmingupstream View Post
    Yep. It's about the baby not anyone else. If they are uncomfortable they can look away

this