+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please....18 month sleep regression!

Up until last week, I didn't even know that 18 month old sleep regression existed!
    I was so proud of my DS for being a great sleeper, never a peep from him when put down for the night until he would wake around 6:30am.
    Now he screams when you put him down and leave the room. Walk back in, and he lies down instantly and is quiet.
    We have tried both Controlled crying and sitting on the floor (but not engaging him). The controlled crying I found extremely difficult as it went on for about 2.5hrs. The sitting on the floor method usually has him asleep in about 10-15mins.
    What I am struggling with is then he wakes between 12 and 2am, and I am unsure the best way to deal with this. The last 2 nights has been brought to bed with us, which I have always been against the idea of sharing our bed with him (even though the cuddles are lovely).
    I have tried changing his bedtime routine to include more 'quiet' story time with Mummy and Daddy and pushing his bedtime back until we have clear tired signs.
    I thought he may have been cold (as it's been really cold the last week) so I put a column heater in his room last night. (he sleeps in a grobag as well but only a 0.5 tog one).
    We have tried night light on, and off, with no difference.

If you have been through this how did you deal with it?
    Apparently it's a stage, but who knows how long it will last?
    I'm terrified of undoing all our efforts to teach him to go to sleep on his own.

What do I do? I am working full time and am really struggling at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a stage. I tried everything to. I then landed up sitting outside his room with earphones on and loud music and walked in every few min to comfort him. I wasn't prepare to undo out work on sleep. Now DS looks at me an if he thinks about acting out he probably reckons "this cow ain't biting, I might as well just go to sleep".
    Can't remember how long it lasted. Maybe a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input, it is very appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS did the same thing at about 14 months I think. We would be up for upto 4 hours at night with him. After a few nights of rocking/bottle/fighting with him to go back to sleep, I gave up and got him up. Once he looked tired, I would put him back down. It lasted about a month, but the time we were up got shorter. Every few nights, I would try 15 mins earlier than the night before and just bought it back in slowly. Then he just went back to sleeping through. It's bloody hard, but he will get back on track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can someone pls explain what this 18 month sleep regression is? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically their sleep turns on it's head, it's like having a newborn all over again, but worse cause I am used to sleeping and now I am having to deal with working as well.
    Apparently it can be developmental, but who knows.

Basically, out of nowhere, they start freaking out when put down for sleep and start waking through the night.
    My DS has been a great sleeper since he was 7 months. Now out of nowhere, bam. I have had about 4 hrs sleep each night and today the cracks are really begining to show and I'm not coping at all.

If you Google it, there is a ton of stuff on the net about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there... I am curious to know how this progressed? I am going through this with my 18 month old atm... he was the best sleeper and self settler and for last 3 months his screaming at bedtime has been on and off. It went from us going in and shushing and patting and he was OK, to camping out once in the week he was doing it and now he is full on hysterical every nap / bedtime and us going in and out makes him more hysterical. We have tried CIO various times and have resorted to camping out until he is asleep but he will wake during the night or at 4am and just scream as we are not in there.
    We talked to Ngala (sleep centre) and they said its a phase and just ride it out. They did ask us to try a few other things but they didn't work. Hubby and I are FT working so it's extremely tiring and putting huge strain on our marriage. I am wondering how you dealt with it, how long it lasted and any tips as the last thing I want to do is undo all his great self settling techniques. We always put him down awake like usual and give it a couple of goes going in and out to resettle before we resort to camping out so he knows this is nothing different. Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tygress View Post
    Up until last week, I didn't even know that 18 month old sleep regression existed!
    I was so proud of my DS for being a great sleeper, never a peep from him when put down for the night until he would wake around 6:30am.
    Now he screams when you put him down and leave the room. Walk back in, and he lies down instantly and is quiet.
    We have tried both Controlled crying and sitting on the floor (but not engaging him). The controlled crying I found extremely difficult as it went on for about 2.5hrs. The sitting on the floor method usually has him asleep in about 10-15mins.
    What I am struggling with is then he wakes between 12 and 2am, and I am unsure the best way to deal with this. The last 2 nights has been brought to bed with us, which I have always been against the idea of sharing our bed with him (even though the cuddles are lovely).
    I have tried changing his bedtime routine to include more 'quiet' story time with Mummy and Daddy and pushing his bedtime back until we have clear tired signs.
    I thought he may have been cold (as it's been really cold the last week) so I put a column heater in his room last night. (he sleeps in a grobag as well but only a 0.5 tog one).
    We have tried night light on, and off, with no difference.

If you have been through this how did you deal with it?
    Apparently it's a stage, but who knows how long it will last?
    I'm terrified of undoing all our efforts to teach him to go to sleep on his own.

What do I do? I am working full time and am really struggling at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ria3683 View Post
    Hi there... I am curious to know how this progressed? I am going through this with my 18 month old atm... he was the best sleeper and self settler and for last 3 months his screaming at bedtime has been on and off. It went from us going in and shushing and patting and he was OK, to camping out once in the week he was doing it and now he is full on hysterical every nap / bedtime and us going in and out makes him more hysterical. We have tried CIO various times and have resorted to camping out until he is asleep but he will wake during the night or at 4am and just scream as we are not in there.
    We talked to Ngala (sleep centre) and they said its a phase and just ride it out. They did ask us to try a few other things but they didn't work. Hubby and I are FT working so it's extremely tiring and putting huge strain on our marriage. I am wondering how you dealt with it, how long it lasted and any tips as the last thing I want to do is undo all his great self settling techniques. We always put him down awake like usual and give it a couple of goes going in and out to resettle before we resort to camping out so he knows this is nothing different. Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!
    Can you update us? 😀