+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Soo tired stressed and confused please help me....

DD is 8.5 months now... has been a pretty good bubby until about 2 months ago where sleep regressed to 2 night feeds, then out popped two teeth, around a two weeks ago, and now she is even WORSE.

I'm so confused it's crazy so this is going to be garbled... basically she's waking up at night for a feed, and normally goes straight back to sleep, but there was a while there that she wouldn't so i'd put her on my chest and rub her back and she'd bring up tiny little burps and then she'd go down to bed (she'd be asleep on my chest)...

The last week she's been almost impossible to put back down, so I've had a few nights where she's slept on my chest for say 2 hours, not on the boob, as in head on boobs tummy to tummy. I am not sensing any reflux or anything, I think ti's purely for comfort. I think I've created a monster, as now she only wants to sleep there!! Now it's escalating and the last two days and nights have been total hell!!!!

Then there is the fact that if she doesn't sleep on my chest cos I won't let her, she won't sleep, gets over-tired, cries, takes on air, needs to be burped and well, it's 1.30am and she's been up since 10pm, after I put her to bed at 7.30pm with a feed (easy) and 10pm feed, fell asleep on the boob but as soon as in the cot wide awake crying. Last night was the exact same, I got to bed at 3am> i'm just listenign to her scream now.... ARGGH. i am SO frustrated. What happend to my angel? I gave her panadol when she woke up but that obviously wasn't the problem. Also her day sleep, which are also being problematic the last two days also!! Normally one big sleep at around 12 ot 12.30 of 2.5 to 3.5 hours, now 1 to 2 horus and not until 2pm...? (This was happening infrequently in the last week or so also).

ALSO she has taken to rolling onto her tummy before sleep too during these times, So I have just turned her back about 6 times now... and either cries, or starts to play, or both, she seem really overtired crazy to me, arms thrashing kicking, nothing consoling her like normal as I try to persist with the no chest thing.

And if I do persist to leave her in the cot more then 30 minutes the chest thing stops working anyway! She is just plain overtired!

I tried some form of CC but it doesn't work IMO, she just cries for half an hour at a time relentlessly and I end up WAY too stressed out to keep doing it to her so go in and pick her up console her retuck her in offer boob etc, nothing works...

I just dont know why this is happening? DH thinks that its because she is a hyper/alert baby and needs more stimulation in the day, as after her first day of day care (which she really enjoyed) she slept really well that night... I dont know, she seems SO intermittent I find it really ahrd to find a pattern??? I dont think it's teething pain. I think he could be right with the lack of day time stimulation, but she seems so content and happy playing games and moves rooms and has loads of toys and eats and plays with me and does her jolly jumping and comes in the car when I run errands i normally wear her in the harness, and seriously - what else should I be singing or doing to her??? he thinks I should be carrying her around outside more is his input... I dont know maybe he is right but I am so bluddy F***NG tired and a wreck that sometims the last thing I feel like doing is carrying her around outside in the harness when my back is already tired!

So why is she being so hyper?? What should I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly you are not creating a monster you are giving her the love and support she needs at the moment! Big hugs because it's really hard when they go through these phases! And no doubt it is a phase that will pass.

I reckon most likely it is teeth and she needs your comfort. DD1 was a great sleeper till she started teething and it took till after 18 months and her two year old molars for her to stop having these phases.

Maybe have a GP check up and rule out illness like an ear infection first, this is one reason she may not want to lay down and sleep. Also if she wants to sleep on her tummy in the cot and is rolling onto her tummy herself I would leave her to sleep like that, lots of babies sleep so much better on their tummy

Also I don't agree with your DH so I wouldn't start worrying about wearing her out or carrying her more etc. I really feel it is a phase. Fingers crossed for you and great big hugs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LibranTwin For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I'm not a CC fan either. We didn't use CC and DD1 is a great little sleeper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LibranTwin For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you get some more sleep last night? I hope she turns the corner for you soon, fingers crossed!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LibranTwin For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've literally just described my DS and your situation to a T!

My DS is 8.5 months old. He has ALWAYS been a VERY alert boy, even as a newborn. He is also VERY active. DS too, slept perfectly (for me anyway) until he hit around the 5.5-6 month mark. Since then, he has gone from sleeping in his cot for ALL sleeps (NEVER slept with me in my bed before 6.5 months old) to now starting off sleeping in his cot and will usually stay there for daytime sleeps, but nightime he starts off in there and ends up with me. He also (up until 2 weeks ago) would have 2x2 hour sleeps per day. He just one day started waking around the 30-45 minute mark and usually won't be resettled. The thing is is also, no matter how tired DS is it does not make one difference to how he sleeps. He will have the same sleep pattern whether he is ready for sleep or overtired. I can't do CC either, so you're not alone there.

Ok, so I guess you are doing all you can do to help your bubby so I can't give you advice...because I'm in the same boat and struggling too! I recently put up a thread in regards to DS sleeping and I got some wonderful advice and kind words so I will pass on what others have gently advised me to do.... 'try to stop stressing and let it go..' THIS is hard to do. I'm still struggling with not letting the stress and worry of his sleeping get to me. It's hard. But you can only try.

I so very much feel for you right now.. you are in exactly the same position as myself, and our babies sound very much the same, active wise. I often wonder if DS has an underlying issue, as he is SOOOOOOOOOO hyperactive and if he could bounce off the walls, he would. I wasn't prepared for this, I guess we can never prepare, just try and go along with it... but man oh man...I hope my next baby is a better sleeper, or that I at least learn something with DS.

Please know you are certainly in my thoughts and I hope things get better with time... I'm still waiting but hoping things will fall into place eventually...I guess it's just trying to keep a sane mind while we go through the tough times!!

PM me if you ever want to chat privately
    Last edited by TheUndomesticGoddess; 06-06-2011 at 09:17.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheUndomesticGoddess For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD did the same with teething, but it passed once teething did
    Shes another 'active' child. We have very few days at home, going to the park/toddler gym/playgroup/rhyme time/swimming every morning, plus I try to make sure she has lots of sensory play with water/sand/rocks/grass.
    It seems to help, if I keep her stimulated during the day.
    Shes cutting molars atm, so not sleeping well, but it will pass.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, babies all make their own sleep patterns, and just about all will go through a 'bad' patch. If this change is only recent?? the usuall possiblities, teething, growth spurt, could be a cause. Keep bonjela or panadol handy, try to get a bit more sunshine into bubs day, a walk in the pram in the back yard would be enough. If the problem sleeping is upsetting the bub, then try some different routines, if the problem is upsetting you, try to get some help so you can take a nap, or learn to sleep when bub does and catch up your sleep at the same time. Dont let other peoples opinions rule you, not everyone can accept controlled crying, not everyone has to have x number of hours sleep each night. Try to go with the flow. Marie.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (06-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you! It is seriously heart warming stuff to get this support.

Last night I got her to sleep at 2am. i was pinning her to the bed to stop her rolling onto her stomach, as she doesn't roll onto there and rest, she rolls and lays with her head up like a mini push up and looks around and starts reaching for things, so I roll her back... if she'd just put her cute little head down I'd leave her there to sleep like that! But she rolls to the side of the cot and bangs her head onto it from wrestling! Little varmit!! So tonight is the test, will the 10/11pm feed be unable to resettle again? god I hope not, but I think iw ill jsut lay her on my chest immediately, rather then try to leave her in the cot, which gets her so distressed and overtired she doesn't sleep for hours. I'm just going to ignore hubby on that one! I dont think he knows best. i get into so muc htrouble when i dont take his advice though, but I keep telling him, he should be taking MY advice, as I'm the one that gets her to sleep every time tha tworks!

Kaeja, that's amazing, yes, 5.5 months she slept through every 2nd night for about 3 weeks... then after that she stopped. DD went from 2 sleeps of about 1.5 hours, to staying up even later, basically if i time it, she stays up for 6 hours and then will crash for 2 to 3 hours, but now more like 1 hour - and thats it for the day! She seems pretty content not overtired when i put her to bed, she just has one little sleep and thats it i'm done mum! she is a can of worms too always thrashing kicking... DH's mum says he was like that too, and DH is 40 and only slowed down these past few years with his energy levels. Hyper as in active but not mentally crazy, just always phsyical??? Maybe it's a genetic thing. Then again, maybe all babies are the same and I just 'think' she's hyper. A lot of people always say how placid she is, as her mentality is quite nice, happy, easygoing, smiley, but she loves to bounce and always be held on her feet since around 3 months. My DH never crawled ,just walked, so I thikn something is going on along those lines, she isn't crawling yet so mabye she'll be slow to crawl but fast to walk. I sure hope she crawls or walks soon it may wear her out some more!!!

That is SUCh good advice, yes the stress of not 'succeeding' in her sleep is too much. I can't really sleep in the day with her as I'm working and need to be able to make and receive calls so it' quite stressfulas those are the only times I can get some work done! Then once she's asleep like now I'll work late into the night to get my work done that i missed in the day. Crazy times!

LibranTwin - your words meant so much to me too, very kind of you, thank you the advice is gold.

Ladies - I think she's had a bit of congestion lately, could that be why she wants to be on tummy? Or needing extra comfort? I didn't want to drug her again...

Oh Question - When people say teething up to 2 years old etc, so is this how it's going to be every night for 2 years, or just in phases of a month or two bad, then good, then another bad patch...? I dont get it, surely the teeth aren't permanently bad? Someone told me today I'll be fine after they hit about 3.5 years old i was like - is that meant to be comforting? I'm going to have more babies next year so what - I can look forward to the next 5 years or so of sleepless nights? i was kinda hoping this would last a few weeks max... hahahaha

I'm so glad i'm not training her to sleep on my chest, I was most worried about that, that she would never want to sleep without me, but she does for day and the first sleep. Last night after 2am she finally slept, she woke at 4am, had a feed, wouldn't go back in the cot so she slept on me until 5.30am when I stirred, and got up and put her in the cot, where she stayed until 9.30am - best sleep in I've had in ages, so I really got 7.5 horus of sleep interuppted by one feed, now if you ask me, that's pretty good!!! I feel fine today!

Anyway thanks for reading my encyclopedic thread...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    We have very few days at home, going to the park/toddler gym/playgroup/rhyme time/swimming every morning, plus I try to make sure she has lots of sensory play with water/sand/rocks/grass.
    It seems to help, if I keep her stimulated during the day.
    Ok i should get her out more then - she absolutely adores swim class so may drive her up to our nearest heated pool (argh 40 mins away!) to have some play there. Too cold for outdoor play here at the moment though Any other ideas are more then welcome. Thanks Trishalishous, how old is your dd now?

greengables is offline love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.. love never fails.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say I don't think u should worry so much about her Rollin into her tummy - she's older now and sounds like she has a strong neck. Some babies just prefer sleeping that way!! My son would SCREAM unless he was allowed to sleep on his stomach, so in the end I didn't fight him!

she also sounds like ahe is teething and this is the sh(&ttest time ever!! I too was working full time when my son was teething, and I'd unfortunately work with an older bunch of unsympathetic biatches- who had obviously forgotten how TORTuROUS it is with a teething baby.

Do whatever u need to get sleep-

we used bonjela and panadol/nurofen combined - it didn't solve it but definitely helped

good luck and Look After Yourself!!!?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to greengables For This Useful Post:

dizzy1  (07-06-2011)