ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travelling overseas with a 3 month old baby - what do we need to consider?

Hi all, my husband and I are going overseas at the end of December for 3 weeks with our soon-to-be son (who will be 3 months old at the time).

When we've enquired about accommodation, we ask about whether a cot is provided, and what sort of laundry facilities there are, as well as a fridge (for bottled milk). What else should we be thinking about?

Also, how much stuff would we be taking? DH doesnt want to take a pram - I think this is just mental, and I think he will change his tune once the baby comes and he realises how convenient a pram can be.. but is there anyone who has travelled without a pram, or what are your general opinions about this?

The destination we are heading to is going to be cold (actually, freezing mostly - we're heading to Italy for some skiing). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babysitting? do u have a way to sterilise bottles etc? r u taking your own formula is u r bottle feeding or can u get that brand over there? same with bottles and dummies? if u r not taking a pram r u taking a carrier or sling? u mayb able to hire things like prams over there.

lots of warm clothes and blankets, a sleeping bag/ warm wrap?

not sure what else

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What sort of cot and is it a safe cot (spacing of the bars etc)

If you are not going to take a pram, definitely take a good carrier like an Ergo. There are some great prams that fold down really small and could probably fit in a suit case. Depends where you are going, there are some places I would feel more comfortable wearing my bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went os last year when DD was 2.5 and my biggest regret was not checking whether there was a separate living area to the sleeping area. We were in a small hotel room and had to go to bed at the same time as her every night because there was nowhere to go once she was asleep.

A pram or a carrier is useful if you want to go exploring or even go out for a meal. It seems inconvenient to lug a pram half way across the world but not as inconvenient as having to take turns eating in a nice Italian restaurant :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the responses!

I'm hoping to breastfeed but will have to wait and see if I'll have probs with that once bubs is born. Do you think there is a risk that if I am fine with breast feeding and I dont take formula with me, bubs might stop drinking breast milk while we are away? Does that happen often with babies that age? should I be taking formula as a back up?

I don't know much about sterilizing, can you use boiled water to do it, or a dish washer? We'll be staying in apartments everywhere we go (mainly in the dolomites in Italy). Not sure what kind of cots they provide, but good point about the pram while eating meals.

I know the resort we are going to is really family friendly and they do have baby sitters and child care.

Its going to be pretty interesting traveling with a baby and all the baby stuff.. We go skiing overseas every Xmas / new yrs - going to be very different this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    for sterilising pigeon make microwave sterilising bags google them. i used them on holidays with our bubs. each bag is re- usable up to 20 times each a you do is add water and put in microwave.

greengables is offline love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.. love never fails.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice is make sure you REST as I tried travelling while my daughter was 6 weeks old and I was fricken exhausted and had a breakdown'!

Be kind to yourself, don't try to be a superhero - that's my advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for the advice! I'll look up those bags! And I definitely plan to rest, dh and I will not be skiing every day (and anyway we will not be skiing together, or all day long for that matter... Can't wait for us to have kids old enough to go to ski school! Hehe) it's a pretty relaxing place (dolomites) - a quaint village with cute cafes and restaurants. Even when we went to Switzerland last Jan, I spent a lot of time just reading the slopes are only open from 9ish til 5 anyway and after brekky, you don't get on them til around 11am it's a hard life...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're also used to not skiing together (I actually snowboard) and dh loves steep scary slopes, I prefer to take it easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should be allowed to take a pram for free, as well as a car seat on the plane.
    Or if you hire a car you can also get the option of a fully installed car seat. Maybe would be an idea to look into the countrys regulations tho incase the seat isn't up to your standards. If you Pre-book a taxi you can request a car seat too.
    If you choose not to take your own pram then you could look into hiring one with a basinet? Then if you are in a nice restaurant you could just take the basinet for bub to lay in instead of taking the whole pram.
    Also on some airlines on long haul flights you can request your own cot! (pretty sure this is also a free service!) then you will not have to nurse bub the whole time.
    So jealous lol!! Have a great trip!!