ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default q for rental property owners?

i have q for owners of rental properties.
    We rent, have been in this house about 3.5yrs. Sometimes when things go wrong they get fixed very quickly, other times they take an awful LONG time!!!!
    So late december I noticed that there was a leak at the back of the toilet (clean water thankfully) and emailed the real estate a maintenance request form. well... the toilet is still leaking!! I have chased the property manager up about it a few times since then and they just keep telling me that the are sorry for not chasing that up and that they have had no response from the email they sent to the owners but they would chase that up again.
    Now we have another leak from a toilet pipe as well (this time under the house.) so made a call thursday and friday and told the new property manager about the old leak as well. They couldn't get the owner on the phone on friday afternoon so they put thru the work order anyway.

So my q is would you EXPECT the property manager to follow up the maintenance request a bit better than they are??? I mean that's 5 months of water dripping onto their floorboards everytime we flush the toilet... that's going to do some damage surely. Or would you think it is simply your fault because you forgot to get back to them or whatever??
    I think it's a bit of both, if it was my house I'd expect that if i'm paying a property manager then they should be following these things up until it gets fixed, not just sending an email then forgetting about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be p¡ssed at the real estate!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i would expect the property manager to have followed it up a lot more than an email.

we own a rental but now do it privately due to useless property managers. our tenants call us and we can get the issues taken care of straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As an agent I can tell you that yes the property manager was slack but some owners are even worse! A small amount of owners ( in my experience) are just so painfully slack and unfortunately in our management agreements we only have certain rights to organize repairs ( mainly emergency) without the landlords written authority, which does mean that with some repairs , some landlords just don't care and try and hold off to save money, we as agents do get stuck in the middle alot, we have a responsibility to look after the tenants but legally have no rights to organize non urgent repairs without landlord approval, we have in the last few years actually cancelled our own agreements with owners as they just wouldn't take our advice on repairs, luckily that is the minority, unfortunately it sounds like you have one of those owners! I am not a property manager ( would never want to be!) and unfortunately as it's such a high turnover job you do get alot of younger inexperienced agents who just have no idea and just don't get the training they need for such a high stress position

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

sunshinebub  (22-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was a Property Manager before having DS, and frankly your PM doesn't sound like one of the good ones. They should have been following it up every second day. If they use the computer program properly, it let's you plan everything and keep track of everything too. It is hard to manager 100+ properties, but all it takes is good organisation!

With regards to the owner, it all depends. I had some that gave me a limit for repairs before I had to call them. So I could do most repairs without bothering them. Some didn't and were painful as would never get back to me either. But you just hound them until they do!

With a leak, that should have been fixed straight away. If that happened to me and the owner wasn't getting back to me, I would have called a plumber after a week and just informed them why and worn any pain from them. You don't mess with water leaks or electrical faults. Anything that is dangerous needs to be fixed ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello, long suffering but quite happy property manager here. I work Mon Wed and Fri, if I get maintenance in, I always tell the tenant to call me after 2 days if they haven't heard anything. I then follow up by phone and email and I continue this pattern until it gets done.

I wonder why the builders and tradies of new houses (that we actually have alot of maintenance) get sick of hearing from me

Of course if it is an emergency ie plumbing or electrical etc I expect it to be done immediately ie that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi neeky. I am a landlord and I also worked in real estate for 10 years prior to DD. In your case it sounds like you have both a slack property manager and slack landlord. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about them, but if I was in your position with a leak I would of been ringing or emailing the real estate every 2nd day, PITA I know but then maybe in future they might not be so slack with you! Also if you are required to pay water usage then ask for a reduction $$$ from the time the repair was first reported until the time it was fixed (every $ counts nowadays).

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can breach the owner - go and see a tenant advocate in your local community legal centre for assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been waiting, oh, 6 months for an electrical fault in my oven to be fixed. In this case I KNOW it is the landlord trying to avoid paying for the repair (Why, why, why?! It's HIS house losing value! I dunno. .) And I actually feel sorry for the property guy, he's been in the game for a long time and is always wonderful towards tenants and landlords alike. I have had to resort to harrassing him constantly but I'm thinking about going over his head soon (Fair Trading) as I don't think there's much more he can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a tenant, I would happily chase up the property manager once as paper work can get misplaced, etc. etc. But anymore then that I would be annoyed. I know there can be issues sourcing tradesmen which is fine, but that has to be communicated to the tenant.

I am a landlord, and our property managers have been told to go ahead with routine maintenance and repairs under $500. Seriously, I don't want to hear about every water leak, or broken hotplate! Just fix it!