+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hyperspadias Surgery

Hi all,

My 6 month old son is undergoing surgery next week to correct his hyperspadias. Has anyone had any experience with this surgery? I'm a bit nervous, he seems so little to be operated on

How was the recovery, pain etc? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone???

Thanks
    Reviews
    One last time????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I can't help, no idea what it is but all the best! Maybe call the Dr doing the op so you can ask all of your questions before the surgery? I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss it with you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moozle For This Useful Post:

sniggle6 (14-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck to you & your little one x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lateralus For This Useful Post:

sniggle6 (14-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moozle View Post
    Sorry I can't help, no idea what it is but all the best! Maybe call the Dr doing the op so you can ask all of your questions before the surgery? I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss it with you.
    Thanks. I have spoken to the dr but was hoping to hear from another parent and what their experiences were. Hyperspadias is where the opening of his urethra is in the wrong spot and his foreskin doesn't go all the way around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey my son had this surgery when he was 9 months old. he initially went in for the surgery at 6 months old but was actually really sick so they rescheduled the surgery.
    The surgery itself went for about 1 1/2 hours. I had to take him in to the operating theatre and hold his hand when they gave him the anaesthetic. That was probably the hardest part, they tell you before hand but once they breath in the gas on the mask it makes their breathing go all raspy and heavy and weird and it was pretty scary but completely normal.
    The recovery was ok, we spent one night up on the ward where they managed his pain medication and we came home the next day. He was sent home with some strong pain meds but we didnt need them, we alternated between panadol and nurofen, so we would give him nurofen an hour before the panadol was due to wear off. my best advise would be to keep on top of the pain relief for the first three days.
    My son had a stent in which is like a catheter and they took that out a week after the surgery. unfortunately my son developed an infection and became really really ill so we were admitted to the RCH for a week whilst he was on IV anti biotics, i knew something wasnt right with him a few days after the surgery but my doctor brushed it off, i was right, so go with your gut and if you think something isnt right demand to see the surgeon.

Sometimes they need a second surgery, my son did, he had it last novemebr so i around 16 months old. It was alot easier the second time, i asked if we could go home instead of spending the night and that was awesome, its hard on both of you trying to sleep up in the ward when there are other kids who are sick in pain and hurting, my boy was much better at home. The second surgery took about 2 hours and was longer then they expected but they fixed everything and other issues that they werent even aware of until they did the surgery. That surgery healed fine. Im not sure if it was because he was a little older or because he didnt have an infection this time but he really recovered well. from what i have been told, the recovery should of been like this the first time but we didnt know he had the infection so that would of made it harder.
    If you want to know anymore questions feel free to PM me. its a hard thing to go through, i remember starting the same thread as you have done on here last year and i got no replies, i guess not many people on here have experience with it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

sniggle6 (14-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad you found someone to chat to about it!!! I hope everything goes smoothly with his op and recovery is speedy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much! As far as I'm aware, we're scheduled for day surgery so it doesn't seem there will be an overnight stay.

That's what I'm scared of, when they put him under and also of infection afterwards. I've asked DH to take the day off work so he can come to the hospital as well.

Thanks again. I can't think of any questions at the moment but I'll PM you if I do.