+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child Health Clinics / Mothers Groups

Hi - I was just wondering if any other mums regularly visit any of the government Child Health Clinics in Brisbane, and if they have found them any good, have mothers groups etc? I live on the Southside and the Mt Gravatt clinic seems to discourage people going there. It would be really good if I could take my daughter to such a clinic for regular check-ups and ask questions. Have they changed their system? I would also be very interested in attending mothers groups.

Thanks
    Mel-Lou

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child Health Clinics

Hi Mel-Lou,
    I am also at Mt Gravatt and have found the same thing! I used to go to the Cooparoo clinic for my pre-natal care which was wonderful but as soon as my Bubby was born the were quite discouraging. The general attitude I found at 3 local clinics was that they saw the baby and 6 weeks and 6 months - nothing more.

I have a friend who lives at Wynnum who says their clinic is very welcoming. You can drop in for weigh-ins any time, book appointments to see the nurse or visit for group sessions on child health issues. It is also a very supportive place for mums to meet and have a cuppa. I have never been as it is a little far but my friend goes regularly. Might be worth a visit if you are able to travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Child Health

Hi Mel-Lou
    Our local clinic in Nundah was always very welcoming. (I know that you won't want to travel that far, but this perhaps shows you should shop around!) They also had a new mothers group that I went to with my first daughter. They ran about 9 weeks worth of informationssessions on a whole range of topics and the mothers in our group continued to meet for about another 6 - 9 months, before we petered to a stop (due to mutual slackness, I think). But we still run into each other and its great to see how our little babies have turned into toddlers. Definately worth checking out.

However, I found that some of the actual information given to me by the CHN contradicted that given by my paediatrician and lactation consultant (they don't seem to be really supportive of breast feeding, suggest complimentary feeding too quickly before trying to boost supply, suggest controlled crying for young babies). So I found that I just had to ignore their advice on occaison where it clashed with others.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also often get great Health Nurse advice from the few private midwives/child health nurses that visit your local pharmacies. These nurses are usually paid for by the pharmacy as a community health initiative.

These nurses usually visit a particular pharmacy for set consultation times each
    week or fortnight and then you just pop in at that time.

I've come across some extremely friendly, helpful and insightful child health nurses this way and I would highly recommend this option as a great one instead of using the State MCH system.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Government Health Clinics

I live on the southside at Kingston. There is a Health Clinic on Wembly Road Woodridge, this may be closer to you. They are very friendly and welcoming. They have open plan clinics on a Monday Am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - thanks for your replies. I have visited a child health nurse at a pharmacy near me, but they don't make appointments and therefore I have ended up waiting over 2 hours sometimes to see her, which is extremely hard to do with a young baby. I believe it's the same situation at most pharmacies.