+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pelvic and Hip Pain

Hi everyone,

I am getting pain in my hips and pelvic area, but at the back.
    It is almost as if it is around my tail bone and extends out to my hips, and then down the back of my thighs and into my calves.

I have been doing yoga throughout my whole pregnancy and try to get a few minutes of stretching and relaxation in everyday. But it seems that whatever I do, no matter how much stretching I do, I can't relieve this pain I've been getting.

Some times it is so bad I find it difficult to walk at night, and it is starting to affect my sleep.

Any suggestions?

Mel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no advice but i just did a a search as i have hip pain really badly and im only in early pregnacy! any tips anyone ????

oh mel do you sleep with a pillow between your knees??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried a pelvic belt??

The hip and pelvic pain in pregnancy is usually because the pelvic joints are loosening up, to help your pelvis expand and expel your little one (so it's a good thing!!). Wearing a pelvic belt can help hold it together and lessen the pain.

I get pain in my sacroiliac joints, which are on either sides of the tailbone, sounds like you might be getting some of that? These joints loosen in pregnancy so the pelvic belt may do the trick. This pain may radiate down your legs, or you may have a touch of sciatica, also common in pregnancy.

Try a google search, but if you can't find a pelvic belt, ask your doc - my GP said she could source one for me if I needed her to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and also - while yoga is great, it actually adds to the effects of the hormone relaxin that is already coursing through your body and causing the joints to loosen - so you might want to go easy on the yoga for a bit... overstretching could actually be making it worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing, I had it REALLY bad in my pregnancy. Pelvic belt definately helps. But the best relief for me was physio. A pregnancy massage also helps heaps. Just make sure you find a therapist that is actually trained in pregnancy massage.

The pain is caused by the pelvic joints being 'loosened' by the pregnancy hormones. This puts extra pressure on the muscles around that area causing sore muscles as well. You can stretch out the sore muscles by standing facing a table/bench/bed, with a bent knee place the foot-knee section of you leg flat on the surface in front of you. Then lean forward gently over the leg and you should feel the sore muscles being stretched out. I never stretched it too hard, just held a gentle stretch for a couple of minutes. I got HUGE relief from doing this. Hope it helps for you too.

Best of luck, I know how painful & annoying it is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that...yep, I have a pelvic belt. Tried wearing it yesterday to see if it made a difference. Didn't notice much, but I'll try again today.

I am concerned that the belt might stop my pelvis from opening though? I don't know, but my thoughts are that maybe my pelvis is meant to be spreading to allow for the baby to pass through the birth canal easier and I just have to put up with the 'growing pains'. I'm kind of thinking that wearing the belt too much might stop everything from opening up maybe???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My advice, see a chiropractor! It sounds like you may have SPD (symphasis pubis dysfunction). I had it in my last pregnancy and it was so bad I was practically paralysed. I then saw a chiropractor and it was magical. Instant relief!

*Excuse my autocorrect, it hates me.*

Thanks
    Reviews
    OHHHHH me too!! It is so bad that by the evening im hobbling about and it has flarred up my siatica aswell. I have noticed that bubs sits much lower than my first which has been super uncomfortable and the hot water bottle and showers just don't cut it anymore. My dads a GP and has suggested physio to me. I havent been yet but I am hoping it will give me some relief. I would say if you have kept active and you've tried the belt thingo I would get some professional help.