+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes

Hi everyone,

I have just been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 25 weeks pregnant and was wondering if there was anyone else out there that is in the same boat or have had it previously??

I am attending an education session at the hospital on Wednesday but any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey Blueshell I don't have much advice just wanted to wish you luck. One of my close friends had gest diabetes and she was put on a strict diet and had to monitor her blood sugar levels regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Blueshell, I had GD when I was pregnant and mine had to be controlled with insulin. They try you with diet control first and you have to take your blood sugar levels 4 times a day. If that doesn't work then you'll be put on insulin. If thats the case then from about 36 weeks you'll be monitored a few times a week on a CTG. The hardest thing I found at first was not cutting back on carbs when my levels were high. Yes they were high but bub's needs you to have those carbs! My levels seemed to rise no matter what I did and my insulin doses were continually increased. I felt guilty at first but gradually realized that there is NOTHING you can do to prevent GD, it's just that your pregnancy hormones are so strong that the insulin has trouble getting through. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it with DD and expect I'll have it this time too. I'm seeing my OB this week and he'll have my results.

Mine was controlled with a low GI diet. I did finger prick testing two hours after meals (3 times a day). I basically gave up refined sugar, so no chocolate, bakery treats etc. I still ate fruit and carbs but really cut back on 'white' carbs like white bread, pasta and rice.

I did go on to develop pre-eclampsia (diagnosed at 38+5) which you're at higher risk of if you've got GD. Not sure why that is.

I had bub at 38+6 due to the pre-eclampsia but she was perfect and 3.26kg (so not a big GD baby) Her first APGAR score was 9 and she had no blood glucose issues. They do monitor bub's own blood glucose levels after birth because it can be a problem.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you. It can seem daunting, but in the scheme or pregnancy issues, it's not a biggie IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

Am feeling a bit better about it today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had gd with ds diagnosed at 29weeks from memory.
    mine was diet controlled during the day but my pancreas didnt want to work properly overnight whilst i was sleeping and i had to have a very small amount of insulin before bed so my levels werent high come morning time.
    as i was scared of having a big baby i was pretty strict with my diet but whinged about it to dh too like when he would get pizza and i could only have 3 slices and salad.
    exercise after meals will help bring your levels down, well it did for me. so if you are going to eat some of the "naughty" foods and you suspect your levels will be high do some exercise.
    ds came spontaneously at 37+4 weighing 6lb 5oz or 2.884kg.

best wishes

xoxo