+ Reply to Thread
    Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First night in a sleep suit. Pointers needed! :)

Tonight is the first night my 9 month old DD is sleeping in a sleep suit. It's Tog 2.0, but I'm not really sure what that means... Assuming it's on the warmer side. It's about 13 degrees here in Melbourne at the moment, there is a heater on in her room, her room is currently about 22 degrees and she is sleeping under a cotton sheet and two thin blankets.

Does this sound about right? Or do you think she might get a bit too warm...? It's the first time I've used a sleepsuit or sleeping bag and to honest, the whole thing confuses me....!

Help me understand it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out the website for grobags, just google it & that'll give u a guideline for tog ratings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure that sheets and blankets are necessary with sleeping bags, but also not sure what temp that tog rating suits. Checking the website is a good idea.

Put your finger down the back of her neck and if she's clammy, she's too hot. This is the best way to check temperatures of bubs (I've found, anyway)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    To give you a comparison, our 10 mo DS is in a 2.5 tog grobag, with a thin blanket that he will probably kick off, and it's currently 18 in his room, which is likely to drop to 17 or 16 overnight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds to me like she should be ok. Using blankets with sleeping bags is something that people hold differing opinions on..

We're in Melb too and my 1 year old DD is sleeping tonight in a singlet, wondersuit and a 1 tog grobag with a sheet and 2 blankets (1 cotton and one heavier) and the temp in the house with ducted heating will drop to about 18 overnight. The blankets are only up to her chest/armpits and her arms are always out of the covers.

We also have 2.5 tog grobags for when the weather is even cooler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never used any blankets or sheets with my childrens' sleeping bags. I thought it was unsafe to do so. Their cots just have a mattress protector and a fitted sheet and then they are in their sleeping bags.

My children are in flannel pjs tonight and are in 2.5tog "Grobags". The house temp will be 19 overnight.

Having said that though I would look at the instructions re room temperature for your particular sleeping bag either on the packaging or on-line. There are many different types of sleeping bags. Failing that you should really be able to tell if your DD is too warm by her skin temperature.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alanasmum For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone Not sure if it makes a difference but she's actually in a sleep suit rather than a sleeping bag, so it's basically like a slightly baggy onsie. So she's just wearing that and a singlet. I'm not sure of the brand, my mum bought it for her from a small boutique store. It didn't say anything on the tag other than Tog 2.0, hence my confusion!

The blankets we have in her cot are really thin, a thin cotton one and a polyester one she more uses as a comforter to get to sleep. I've turned the heather down so hopefully that should be ok for the night.

Thanks again for your replies everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicky Pea View Post
    Thanks everyone Not sure if it makes a difference but she's actually in a sleep suit rather than a sleeping bag, so it's basically like a slightly baggy onsie. So she's just wearing that and a singlet. I'm not sure of the brand, my mum bought it for her from a small boutique store. It didn't say anything on the tag other than Tog 2.0, hence my confusion!

The blankets we have in her cot are really thin, a thin cotton one and a polyester one she more uses as a comforter to get to sleep. I've turned the heather down so hopefully that should be ok for the night.

Thanks again for your replies everyone!
    I do know those ones. Target sell them also. Definitely confusing for you if it didn't come with any instructions re temperature. The higher the tog number the warmer the sleeping bag/suit. So the brand I use has 0.5 for summer months and go up to 2.5 for winter months. Probably good that you've turned the heater down a bit. Hope she sleeps well for you tonight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alanasmum For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (22-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS sleeps in a Snugtime brand sleepsuit (blanket sleeper). It's a 2.0 tog which is rated at 17oC to 20oC. His room is normally about 18/19 on average at the moment overnight (we are in Adelaide). He normally sleeps in just the sleepsuit, maybe a singlet underneath and if it gets a bit cooler I sometimes drape a small light blanket over him.
    As someone said visit the growbag site to read up on tog ratings BUT they won't have a 2.0tog they have .5, 1.0 and 2.5 from memory. I got the temp rating of a 2.0 from the product as well as the web site I bought it from www.thesleepstore.com.au
    I think the ideal room temp for sleeping is 18oC so personally I wouldn't be heating beyond that (if at all)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoleE For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (23-04-2011)