+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What were YOUR experiences with Religion as a CHILD??

** not a 'debate'.

Just because I have noticed a few threads with this 'theme' of late.

I am genuinely curious of people's stories...

( I have my own and will share later once kids are fed and bathed)

...have you any situations that are firmly etched in the memory bank?? - good or bad.

Have you changed certain views over time? What age were you when you felt SOLID on your beleifs?

**again not started as a 'debate' - more a 'discussion'. There's no point denying we are ALL affected or have been affected in 'some way' by relegion in our life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents don't follow religion as they both had it pushed on them as children. They never said anything against religion either. I had am idea when we were young their was something bigger than us. I thought of it like dolls in a dollhouse

Sent from my Desire HD using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One bad thing I was told at school religion class was not to bring petty little nonsense things to God that don't really matter as he doesn't listen to those things... I was a firm believer when I was around 3-4 I had a very hard childhood and used God to help me get through things. Attending church like I did gave me a great foundation to life and I'm able to decipher as an adult what I deem appropriate, biblical ect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh but my grandparents were very religious and took us to church a few times which I enjoyed but also made me nervous as I didn't know all the ceremonies, etc. Oh and they were catholic.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was brought up in a Christian family. We went to church on Sundays and I stopped going when I was around 11-12 I think. Mainly because I wanted to sleep in but I guess I just felt I kind of didnt belong as well or something.

Mum and dad ard the kind of Christians I believe Jesus wanted us to be. They are not evangelists, or bible bashers or judgemental based on their religion. They accept anyone, always have their house open, are very forgiving and 'live simply so that others may simply live'. They will share their experience of gods love if people ask, and are not ashamed of their faith. However where they live now they don't share it because it's illegal (o/seas). They have modelled to me how to have faith in god without ever pushing it on me.
    As a result, I still don't attend church but have a very strong faith and am eternally grateful to my parents for instilling that in me. It has helped me through many hard times in my life and I plan to encourage my childrens faith as they grow older as well.

ETA: I haven't been baptised or Christened as mum and dad believed it should be a decision we make ourselves.
    Last edited by Annabella; 15-04-2011 at 19:19. Reason: forgot something

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Catholic and was raised that way. I only have good memories, except confession it always freaked me out, still does..."forgive me father for I have sinned..umm how much time do you have"..lol.

Loved my first Holy Communion and I took it very seriously.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My grandparents on my Mum's side are/were very religious.

My Grandmother used to tell us bible stories and teach us about the rights and wrongs according to the bible. And I knew enough to be the only child in Religious Education at school to put my hand up. (besides a friend who was a ministers daughter)

I never attended church unless I wanted to. (which I did maybe a handful of times, and that was the minister's daughter lol) And I have to say I found it dreadfully boring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Okay so I'll go first! - oops took longer than others I wrote and epic

I was raised in a probably agnostic/athiest home - sort of borderline! I am not christened or baptised - My parents decided that it was a choice for me (and my sister) to make as an adult. As such neither of us have done so.
    My Paternal Grandparents and and uncle and aunt are religious - have been members of a few different churches at different times. Dads brother and his wife are VERY involved with the church (in NZ) and gave every penny to the church - my Uncle stopped working (as a lucrative commercial artist) to work for the church and they were of the belief that God would provide - meaning that their children often went without things such as warm clothing unless they were donated. They are very pushy with thier religion too and that gets me offside as they don't respect that others don't share their views.
    My Grandparents - were taken for a ride with one minister who stole all the donations etc and moved to Aust so they were put of that particular church and when they moved to Aust it took them a few tries to find a church they were happy with. I saw these "good christians" be incredibley hurtful to both my mum and myself and though I don't think the fact that they were religious was the cause of the behaviour I do feel that because they went to church there felt that they were better than the rest of us (but again that was them not all who go to church).

My Maternal GP were less church orientated Nanna would go on xmas if others were going (I vividly remember staying at home with my Dad, grandad and an uncle while everyone else went to chuch on xmas day) Grandad is athiest as is my mums youngest brother.

So I guess I have seen a bit from both sides I am happy to be where I am I guess I lean more toward wiccan principles if anything though I wouldn't class myself as such.

I figure if there is a god/dess then if I have lived my life the best way I know how being as good a person as I can (with the enevitable failings) then I figure the fact that I never went to a church to pray is neither here nor there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents weren't very religious but decided to send me to Sunday school to educate me a little I guess. I always thought the priest who came upstairs from the church below to collect our donation money was God. Mum used to tie my coins inside my hanky and one time I couldn't get it undone so I told "God" I would have to give him my hanky too. He said thank you but he could untie it for me and did. I thought God was so cool back then.

These days, I believe in God, just not organised religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my grandparents were italian and very strict catholics. even though my dad built up resentment towards it, to make his mother happy when she demanded that his children (my siblings and myself) get christened, first confession, first holy communion and confirmation, he agree'd.

i resent this.

from the time i was forced to attend scripture at school, i always dreaded it every week, i always believed from a young age that i was being lied to, that my leg was being 'pulled', and would often get scolded by the scripture teachers when i questioned the logic behind what they were saying.

to do the above rituals i also was forced to attend a local church that i had never been to before, 3 nights a week to be 'taught what these rituals were about, and why they were important'. i distinctly remember telling the priest and his 'helper' that i didn't want to do it. and was threatened with 'if you dont do this, and you die, you will go to hell'. well that plan ol just p1ssed me off, i told my mother, that i'd rather go to hell then go back. unfortunately i was still forced to keep going.

so first confession time came, and i sat there for 40 minutes trying to come up with something to confess about. because in my eyes i hadnt done anything worthy of needing to apologise to 'god' for. i ended up lying about something to be sorry for, because i felt extremely uncomfortable, and just wanted it to be over.

the rest of the rituals i always looked around me, everyone repeating the same promises and words all at the same time, i always felt they were like people that had been hypnotized, i still to this day feel very erked when i sit through a family christening or wedding in a church, in my later years i have read the bible x 2 and my opinion hasnt changed, i still have those same feelings i had back in yr 3 scripture.

i repsect everyone's choice to believe what they like, ive always felt this way, but i object to being forced to listen to/participate in their beliefs.