+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shortage of Sperm and Egg donors

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to best manage the limited donor sperm and eggs available for people undertaking IVF.

Personally I don't think we should limit same sex couples or single parents. Since these resources are so limited, perhaps limiting patients to one live birth could be a way to go?

what do others think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That to me is right on par with banning same sex couples or singles. All its doing is telling someone how many children you think they are entitled to, be it one or none.

Inappropriate.

I think they should allow payment for donation. Capped of course so people dont use it as a career!
    And a limit on how many times a woman can donate, same as vic laws on how many times a man can donate.
    The laws of donation shouldnt change.. Counselling and things like that should remain tightly controlled, but I bet that donations would increase if payment was involved.

I understand the issue of donating to do a good thing, and that payments 'flaunt/abuse/exploit women, but in this country we could regulate things SO well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to mention, would it be fair to allow one couple to use a donor 10-15 times before a live birth occurs, but tell a couple who were lucky to have live birth on their first or second cycle that they only get those 2 shots at it?

Using a donor isnt a choice made willy nilly. Chances are the couple has been to hell and back before landing in a donor situation. Why add to that heartbreak?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36 (23-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are limits on how many times a woman can donate RWS. A woman can only contribute to make 5 families in VIC (I think it is upto 10 in some states, but 10 is the max).
    I think the answer is not payment for donation, but to make the process more known about. The blood bank does regular advertising to get more donors, I think that egg and sperm donation needs to be advertised too.
    When I told people I was donating to my IPs, so many people didn't know that you could donate eggs, let alone there being a need for them.
    Also, for sperm donation, I don't know what the rules are like for a certain IVF clinic in Melbourne now, but 4 yrs ago when DH looked at donating, the rules were too harsh (have to complete a minimum of 10 donations, over a set period of time). This turned DH off as he did not have the time to jump through their hoops.
    Limiting who can access donations or how many donations they can have is not the answer. If we start limiting anything like that, it will only be a matter of time before it gets out of control (ie. fertile people who want more kids getting sterilised after they have had their 'allotted' children.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36 (23-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, if limiting live births, to whom is the limit applied?
    I know of several couples who have sought egg donation, where only one partner has never had a live child. So if it is a second marriage, do they get to start over? even if one member of the couple has multiple live children?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36 (23-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the laws need to change to encourage more donations. While it remains possible for the adult offspring resulting from a donation to track the donor down the number of donors will remain low. I am sure more would do it if it was truly anonymous for life and only family medical history got passed on.

That way no restrictions would be required.

I also think the age for egg donors should be raised for people who are happy to use a donor who has had a baby successfully over 38 as obviously their eggs are still ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amara For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36 (23-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt know the limit applied to women

Both sexes have to jump through hoops to donate, its like they make donating hard on purpose!
    Like you said, your DH tried to donate and it was too hard with time and expectation placed on him when what he wanted to do was the greatest gift of all.
    Perhaps monetary gain would have made a difference to him?

Donor (both sexes) have to have blood tests, give many personal details, attend counselling before the donation even takes place. Its a long drawn out procedure.
    Then they need to take time off work for donation. Women need to take drugs that affect their moods and no doubt their family.

The system is tough ;(

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

jo-anne.36 (23-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very good points all. For the record I was not sold on the idea of limiting - I don't think it's for me to tell anyone that they can or can't have a baby. I just know that there is such a limited supply of eggs and sperm that thought if there DID have to be limits, then one baby from donor egg and or sperm might be a way to go. Let me make it clear though that I don't think any of us have to right to say who can and can't have a baby.

I know in the US you can be paid for being an egg donor - I know quite a few women who have done it for some cash. Not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    Not to mention, would it be fair to allow one couple to use a donor 10-15 times before a live birth occurs, but tell a couple who were lucky to have live birth on their first or second cycle that they only get those 2 shots at it?

Using a donor isnt a choice made willy nilly. Chances are the couple has been to hell and back before landing in a donor situation. Why add to that heartbreak?
    I never for a moment assumed that using a donor is a choice made willy nilly. I am more than aware that some people have been through many many many other options and or procedures before going the donor route just as many go that way first cab off the rank due to MFI. Its wonderful that these options are open to people who cannot conceive naturally

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think the answer is some kind of monetary compensation for donors. . . which should be limited and tightly controlled by the clinics.

The difficulty in donating HAS to be there to protect the recipients. Who would accept donor oocytes where the donor had not been properly screened for diseases for example.

I don't think that a "one live birth" limit is appropriate firstly because of the reasons already mentioned and secondly because well. . . children created via donor eggs and sperm are in a unique sitation and it is one they may struggle with as they grow up and even as adults, to deny them siblings is to deny them comfort on their journey if you like. They will always have their sibling to share that experience with throughout their life and will be better adjusted because of it i think.

I will admit that on our journey using donor sperm i have at times struggled with my own selfish thoughts of "if they only made the lesbians and the single girls find their own sperm donor there would be enough in the bank to go around for the rest of us creating more conventional families" . . . i should add that i quickly catch myself and know that those are just my selfish and irrational thoughts when i was in my darkest moments. That is NOT the answer to the shortage.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cocosmum For This Useful Post:

pinkymcg (14-04-2011)