+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Not bishy at all I wasn't offended, and I'm glad that you like living there. I just wouldn't choose to, is all

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's ok! I read it over 10 x's and edited about as much. Tired and maybe a little grumpy? lol
    Moving here was all we could afford at the time and honestly we live in a street filled with retiree's. I know it's not all like that but for now it's good.
    (I just wish it wasn't so expensive to live along the coast because I'd shift there in a heartbeat! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Girls,
    Thanks for all your replies!!
    We currently live in Brighton, Melbourne with my parents and well Melbourne prices are just riduculous and i can't justify paying over nearly three qtrs of a million to live here... So Geelong looks really similar housing to where we are now... i love the old period homes etc. Leafy streets. I grew up going to Portarlington as a child for holidays (every school holidays) so i know the area a little, not so much Geelong we only really drove through it.
    I use to Live in Tarneit, we built a house there didnt really like it.. I know i can live in other areas of melbourne although i love established areas with old housing and all of those in Melbourne are too expensive...

So we thought Geelong, we drove around looks pretty... that is why i was asking for opinions on what the area is like.

Just another question if you all wouldnt mind answering... What is Herne Hill or Hamlyn Heights like?? I noticed on the net its ALOT cheaper then Newtown and is pretty much next door to...

Thanks ladies!!!! Your advice is both good and helpful.. i know everyone has their own opinion on things as some people say they would not live in geelong i could say that about every place in melbourne except for i live so i know where you all coming from!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We rented in Hamlyn heights while we were waiting on settlement of the house we bought in Newtown.
    Hamlyn heights and Herne Hill aren't really what you are describing. (I don't thinknyou would really like them ) West geelong and drumcondra are really nice. As are east and south geelong. All central with period style home.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you need Geelong West by the sounds of it

I live in g west and love it, love the homes I see when walking and live pakington street. Maybe one day I'll live in one of those houses.

Personally ds will be going to a public school, however kardinia international college is a great k-12 school or I also gear great things about St John Lutheran k-6, which is in Geelong west.

Hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks you have all been great help!
    We drove around yesterday definately my fav is Newtown, East Geelong, West Geelong and Manifold heights!

Cant wait to go house hunting... there is not enough houses on the market though!!!!! Maybe because of easter, unless geelong is not like melbourne and have abundance of homes for sale!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH's parents live in Hamlyn Heights. They moved there when DH was in highschool so he could be closer to his school (he went to Kardinia International College and LOVED it). Hamlyn Heights is not a bad place at all. 2 other suburbs DH prefers to steer clear of when looking at houses are Whittington and Newcomb. In particular, Solar Drive. Good Luck!! Keep us updated

Guest Guest
    This has been a good thread, we'll be moving to Geelong hopefully by the end of the year. I've been looking at Newtown, GW, Highton and Belmont. I'm not sure about Belmont yet, but it seems quite cheap for some decent houses?

Thanks
    Reviews
    East Geelong and Newcomb aren't that bad either. E. Geelong is very old school yet seems to have more affordable housing. They have gorgeous houses their too. It's by far one of my favourite suburbs in the city.

Mum2LnC- I'd suggest just doing a drive-by (or googlemaps tour) to look at the houses around the one you would like to rent. Common sense there, I know! But it's amazing how much you can tell about a neighbourhood (or even a house) by the way it looks.
    Belmont is nice though. It has a really decent stretch of shops, close to town & also very close to Waurn Ponds- the shopping complex there is looking to expand again and it's already pretty large.
    Last edited by The C Team; 18-04-2011 at 02:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Computer glitch- double posted. Sorry.