ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is the GEELONG area like?

Any advice on nice safe family friendly ... great private schools in geelong area?

What is your top suburbs you would suggest?!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    U already know what I think!! Lol

But I'll put my thoughts on here so others can agree

Newtown and highton. And the suburbs between them and geelong city.

Geelong college is the best school in geelong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we lived in bell park and loved it. Can't offer opinions on private schools as we sent our kids to an absolutely fantastic public school. Seriously have not come accross a school like it since
    as with all places there are some great and not so great areas.

finallyready is offline Lead me not into temptation... I can find it all by myself!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in Grovedale (back when it was new) and had a terrific childhood. Went to Oberon High School (govt school) and got a terrific education.

There's not that many private schools to choose from in Geelong and I guess it also depends on whether you want a school with a religious affiliation....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Highton, and really like it (although it is quite pricey). I am currently looking for a larger place, and am looking in Highton, Newtown, Geelong West, East Geelong, Belmont, and Grovedale. Belmont is really good value at the moment I reckon!

Good Luck!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I grew up in South Geelong, and it was lovely. Safe, quiet, family oriented. My parents still live there, although I haven't for over a decade now. West Geelong is fashionable, Grovedale is where there are a lot of new estates going in, Highton is lovely, leafy and friendly, Newtown is pricey, but lovely. I would probably happily move back to Geelong and live in just about any location from except Corio and particularly Norlane.

Schools, well, it depends on what you're after. I dispute that Geelong College is the best school in Geelong, I think that's highly debatable. Kardinia College has an equally good reputation, is comparable for price, and has a LOT of extra inclusions (like the ability to have your child's educated 'streamed' - ie learning at their own pace, rather than their chronological age level). However, most of the schools in Geelong proper, public and private, religious and non-denominational, have pretty good reputations, so it really depends on what you're after and what area you live in.

I loved living in Geelong as a child, it was a really awesome town to grow up in. Depending on where you live, there is just the right balance between country and city - enough access to shops, but quiet enough areas that it's still safe for your kids to play at the local parks. Enough community spirit and activity to make you feel safe, not so much that your neighbours want to live in your pockets, etc.

Having said that, I moved away at the first opportunity, so make of that what you will

Thanks
    Reviews
    geelong is a great place to live. I agree with Tam, stay away from Corio and Norlane, northern suburbs in general, and you can't in wrong with Highton, Waurn Ponds. There are lots of private schools in Geelong, but plenty of good public ones too.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My very good friend has lived in Highton and Grovedale. Both have seemed lovely on my visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    I grew up in South Geelong, and it was lovely. Safe, quiet, family oriented. My parents still live there, although I haven't for over a decade now. West Geelong is fashionable, Grovedale is where there are a lot of new estates going in, Highton is lovely, leafy and friendly, Newtown is pricey, but lovely. I would probably happily move back to Geelong and live in just about any location from except Corio and particularly Norlane.

Schools, well, it depends on what you're after. I dispute that Geelong College is the best school in Geelong, I think that's highly debatable. Kardinia College has an equally good reputation, is comparable for price, and has a LOT of extra inclusions (like the ability to have your child's educated 'streamed' - ie learning at their own pace, rather than their chronological age level). However, most of the schools in Geelong proper, public and private, religious and non-denominational, have pretty good reputations, so it really depends on what you're after and what area you live in.

I loved living in Geelong as a child, it was a really awesome town to grow up in. Depending on where you live, there is just the right balance between country and city - enough access to shops, but quiet enough areas that it's still safe for your kids to play at the local parks. Enough community spirit and activity to make you feel safe, not so much that your neighbours want to live in your pockets, etc.

Having said that, I moved away at the first opportunity, so make of that what you will
    Agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    I both disagree and somewhat agree with the 'steer clear of Norlane and Corio' line. There's just a few bad apples (like everywhere else) that give them a bad name.
    Sorry ladies. I was once one of you and can honestly say since moving into Norlane it's the friendliest and quietest suburb I've been in.
    Sorry, but I just wanted to get across the not judging a suburb by what everyone else says. (touchy subject )

Highton/Grovedale/Waurn Ponds and everywhere in between are very nice 'family' orientated suburbs. Or if you want to move further out Bannockburn is an up and coming suburb. They've just expanded the school and have plans to expand the supermarket complex. (I was originally out that way and growing up with a mixture of country and close city was awesome!)

Geelong has some great private schools and also some great 'normal' schools. For private you have CRC (Catholic Regional College), Kardinia International, Geelong College, Geelong Grammar, St Joseph's... I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any atm.

eta:I hope I didn't come off bishy in the begining! sorry, sorry.
    Last edited by The C Team; 14-04-2011 at 00:16.