+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question sudden reaction to foods already ok with? 11 months old and yeast

hi

we recently trialled scrambled eggs which resulted in a mild reaction of irritation, itchy eyes and explosive poo. I called an ambulance at the time but thankfully it was a false alarm.

I then realised that every time my 11 month old eats pasta he rubs his eyes and whinges. I always thought it was because he is tired but now im not so sure.

However, he has been also reacting to yeast in products he used to be ok with for example cheesymite sandwiches and weetbix. Or am I just imagining it? he used to be fine with sandwiches. What the heck else can I feed him??

are egg and yeast related as far as allergies go?

my husband is salicylate intolerant and I have hayfever that was bad as a child. We are booked to see the gp on wednesday and I will get him skin prick tested.. can they check for wheat this way?

i bought some egg free pasta but now i dont know if he is going to react to the yeast in it. he; been having cows milk on his food for the past 3 months and didnt seem to have a problem with that.

i'm really worried what to feed him now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope he's ok! No advice but to say pasta shouldn't have any yeast... If you buy egg free you should be Ok.

Fingers crossed the allergies go away soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinie For This Useful Post:

lizzymcfizzy (11-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hope the test went well today

Allergies are a reaction in the immune system. Because babies immune systems develop slowly, foods he may have "been ok with" earlier, can cause issues later down the track as their immune system gets stronger.

If he's reacting to cheesymite sandwiches, it may not be the yeast, it could be any number of things (there is a heck of a lot of different ingredients just in one cheesymite sandwich!) and there is no yeast in weetbix. Weetbix does however have malt extract which can be an issue for some.

My advice is to keep a careful food diary, and work out the trouble items by checking back on each food label. It's tedious, but in my experience (with both my DD, and myself) a prick-test didn't sufficiently answer all our allergy issues and it took time to weed-out all the problem foods and additives just by trial and error (and keeping the epipen and the baby Claratyne close by for emergencies!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

lizzymcfizzy (13-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks it was only a gp visit today to get a referal for the tests. hopefully we will get booked in soon.

sorry i meant to say wheat in weetix, not yeast lol.

thanks for your advice, I think I will kee a diary and see what reaction I get. Interestingly tonight i gave him pasta and he was fine! however i had some on my hand for awhile and my hand got itchy. i know when I eat rockmelon I get an itchy throat so I don't know what the particular ingredient is that does that. tomatoes?

the gp said if he's been having wheat and yeast with no problem so far he should be ok to keep having it. but also said what you said about the more they have something the worse the reaction can get over time.

i guess i will monitor it and write down what he has. i have a fed up with food additvites book for my husband so atleast its a blessing i am familiar with all this addititve stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD "grew" into her allergies.

When we first started solids, she was fine. Formula wise, she spent 6 months doing ok with it.

Then she got sick and bam - it all hit her.

Now at 13 months, she's allergic to dairy/soy/lactose and egg. And has a cow's milk protein intolerance.

Our paed, along with other paed's have told us it can happen. Their stomach can be "stripped" and then everything comes out of the woodwork that way.

The best thing to do is keep the diary. I still do it now. I have different colored pen's for different "groups."
    Pink for fruits, green for wheat etc.

Allergies aren't fun. Hope you get some answers soon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverMine For This Useful Post:

lizzymcfizzy (13-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou for sharing! best wishes for baby number two! what great EDD 1 .11. 11