+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thumbs down facebook and high school kids

okaaay so obviously i have no life to be reading my teenage sils facebook and her friends lol.
    but a few of them added me to their page and occasionally i read through them.
    so yesterday i stumbled across something.
    her 'friend' posted that she was a liar and a backstabber and a bad friend. next thing i begin reading through the replies from other kids from her school. ALL 77 OF THEM. 77 replies mostly going "yeah she is a ***** or a ****" etc.. also that she is an ugly troll, anyone who would kiss her is effed up.. stuff about her braces
    a few people jumped to her defense. i recognise their names as kids she is friends with. apparently sil and 'friend' had a fight and arent on eachothers facebooks anymore so she doesn't know any of this until one of her friends told her about it.. but i dont think she knows the exact nastiness of some of the comments.. so now sil has to face up to school with this going on, and i feel really bad for her. what is with teenagers? I mean, I remember how mean it could get, but really.. now there is an outlet for a whole school to pretty much gang up publicly on one person who has no chance to even defend themselves!
    i seriously wanted to jump in and go "DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW OR I WILL CALL ALL YOUR PARENTS!" but I don't think that will help lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeah full on. cyber bullying can get extreme, kids kill themselves over this stuff.

imagine logging on and seeing 77 people say something bad about you...knowing that u have to go to school and see them all the next day...its awful. u should say something, one of her friends could let her log on under her name to see whats being said. i feel bad for her.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was just thinking the same thing last night while reading a big **** fight on my little sisters wall.. They all talk like wanna be gangsta's and jerry springer guests and it's disgusting! these girls are 13 my sister got slapped or something and now they're all talking about beating the crap out of this other girl etc etc.. I had no idea my sister was like that she's always had her head screwed on. I feel like showing it to my dad but he cant do anything as they live 7hrs away with their mother. I really wonder what sort of a school they go to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember when i was in high school there was ICQ. and my mum was very onto it, and worked out how to save my conversations and read them!!! but i realize now why. but at least through ICQ or msn somebody couldnt basically publish humiliating stuff about you to world and know that they would have a massive audience to read and comment.. most of them being people you see every single day.
    DP is so angry about it, MIL knows sil is being bullied and the school says they are keeping an eye on things etc, but they cant do anything about what other parents let their kids do on facebook.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Facebook adds a whole other level to school bullying.

Traditional bullying and *****iness generally stopped at home time (even if the effects of the bullying continued for the victim after school), and was limited to who was there at the time or heard about it via word of mouth (which is rather slow!).

Now bullying continues past school time, all day - everyday, through weekends and holiday, for hundred and hundreds (sometimes thousands) of peers to see as it happens

I'd like to say that most of us have no worries about this as we'll instill high morals our children - but nope. I'm ashamed to say that if Facebook was around when I was in yrs 7-10, I have no doubt that we would have used it VERY well as a tool to bully and humiliate

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (05-04-2011),Guest654  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, what can the school really do? Everyone always has a go at how the school does nothing but sometimes I feel sorry for the pple who run the school. They are damned if they do and damned if they dont. They cant control FB and what happens out of school. As it is, they are soo scared of lawsuits that they dont even want to deal with bullies at school.

The day the phone became a video is the day all kids stopped being scared of authority in my opinion. Back in the days the cops would have a 'word' to the kid and scare the hell of out them, today, cant happen, someone will video it and it will be on you tube and the poor police officer will be out of a job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarberry For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (05-04-2011)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read cr@p like this each day through links of friends of a young friend I have on my page.

The problem is that we know if we jump in with some teens - it makes it go underground, which can be more dangerous.

If it was my children - it would be a different thing - as I control the internet etc, and when my children are of age to have their own accounts - I will be getting keyloggers, as although you may think you have their password etc, there's also a chance they have an account they'll never tell you about.

I did this when my SK's used to have access to our computer - I've got a new computer now and no longer have keyloggers installed, but for every problem our children tell us about, there are 20 others they don't.

It's not about confronting them everytime we see something we know is toxic, it's about trying to work out ways to keep them safe, ways to give them coping strategies, and ways to be aware of situations so you can lend support when they need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    My cousin's going through a very similar situation. My Aunt doesn't let her have a Facebook (she's only 12) but other kids from her school do. My cousin gets bullied at school and the other week my Aunt came across a Facebook event declaring the death of my cousin. The event came down pretty quickly when reported and there was also a Facebook group titled "COUSIN STINKS!" which a bunch of kids from her school had joined.

When I heard about it, I felt sick. She's a gorgeous girl and very talkative and outgoing a lot like myself as a child and I was bullied but like someone else said, it ended when the school day ended. It's horrible that kids have this outlet for continuing their bullying away from school.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 05-04-2011 at 13:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worry about this, especially how things will be when my little ones are older and wanting to get in on all these social networking type things.

TBH I'm not surprised, I have been bullied by my own auntie and uncle over facebook, people who should know better and be setting higher standards for their children but no not even they know how to behave appropriately

I too often read over my younger cousins posts and also among the nastiness is the HUGELY sexual nature of almost all of my 14/15/16 yo cousins status's and posts

I hate wanting to be able to protect my kids from everything and knowing full well that 1) thats probably not usefull and 2) it's also impossible.... I would if I could though

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Danni~ For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (05-04-2011)

cutiepatootie is offline Babelfish's exactly-the-same-with-no-variations-at-all alter ego
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You know, the more people read this stuff and leave it and not say anything, the more it will go on.

Report this kind of talk - it's STILL bullying and it's a very insidious, nasty kind of bullying. Not only that but schools can and will step in.

Just because it's online, doesn't mean we shouldn't say anything.