ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping drugs for toddler insommnia

Has anyone been prescribed sleep drugs for a toddler? If so, which drugs and what was the outcome?

I have tried Phenergan in the past and this has made my 2-year-old loopy and do not want to try it again.

He has chronic insomnia after 2 years of sleep apnea (recently fixed with adenoids and tonsils being removed) however we have been unable to break the cycle of sleeplessness. I have read that some pediatricians will supply drugs to help break the cycle.

Thanks in advance for your comments - note this is a last resort and don't need to know about other settling techniques - we have tried it all.

Last edited by bubblegut; 05-04-2011 at 12:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about Night Time Pain Stop? You don't need a prescription, just buy it over the counter. It's like panadol but also has something in it for sedation. My sister-in-law uses it when her kids get really bad ear infections and are up all night screaming. I think it knocks them out. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes but you are not supposed to use Pain Stop when there is no pain and not for more than 24 hours as it has codeine which can be habit forming.

Your GP is really the only person who can advise you on this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

Myztik  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Peachie. Pain Stop Night has Phenergan in it - I'm very hesitant to try it again after the last time but maybe it's the best option. I'll keep it it mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry but I really don't think an over-the-counter drug being used for something it's not designed for *is* the best option! I'm not having a go at you as you clearly do have a genuine problem here. Is there any reason you can't ask your GP? Do you think you might get the runaround? I can see that could happen but this is not something you want to start experimenting with. Over the counter doesn't mean safe for all uses, which I'm sure you know already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be heading to the GP to speak about metatonin (spl), body naturally makes it. Some people don't product enough to get to sleep or stay asleep.

I wouldn't be using pain stop unless the child is in pain.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

bubblegut  (05-04-2011),Myztik  (05-04-2011),surfergal  (09-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Brauers from your health food shop has a remedy for insomnia for children, it's white and purple packaging like the teething relief one. We have the sleep apnea problem with DD because if her tonsils and adenoids but we don't get insomnia because of it, just a cranky tired little 4yr old who has to goto school and try to stay awake!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

bubblegut  (05-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree with Babelfish. Drugs are serious, whether over the counter or not, and especially when little ones are concerned. I strongly recommend visiting your GP in regards to this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could also speak to the ENT who did your sons' adenoids & tonsils. My DS had them out at 3 1/2 and it was a very rough time. We had endless sleepless nights and it took another 6 months to break him of the bad sleeping habits he had developed in all that time. Our ENT suggested Phenergan but it did nothing so we just rode it out, in our sleep deprived state with a new baby LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you Babelfish. I have an appointment with the GP on Friday however I am hoping to hear other people's experiences with particular drugs and if they had any success. I have read that often GPs prescribe antihistamines but that these are largely unsuccessful.