+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question ASD mums chat??

Ds was recently diagnosed with Autism and Im wondering if there are any mums who are free to chat about our children? where to go from here? Helpful resources? things which have helped your children in everyday skills etc?

Look forward to hearing from you!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or not.... ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!!

DD has not long been diagnosed, we have just started horse riding and home therapy (with therapist), so still new to all this. THey also suspect my ds might be asd, however not nearly as bad as dd.

How old is your ds? Did you suspect there may be autism or did it all come out of the blue?

Look forward to having someone to chat to

Thanks
    Reviews
    [post deleted as it's obvious from the lack of replies that no one gives a toss]
    Last edited by aquarius; 27-03-2011 at 08:24. Reason: see above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Kris, how do you find the horse riding going?? And do you mind me asking what sort of things your home therapist works on??

My ds is 2.5yrs old, I had suspected autism but I suppose I had talked myself out of the idea thinking it would never happen to me or that he wasn't that bad.... So although I was feeling prepared it was still a huge shock...

Do you have any struggles with meal times and feeding??

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    [post deleted as it's obvious from the lack of replies that no one gives a toss]
    Sorry you feel that way... I also waited quite a while for anyone to respond and was busy yesterday to come back and reply... Feel free to come back if you'd like to chat .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

My DS2 was diagnosed with PDD-NOS last September. He has just turned 3yrs. I always suspected it, but like you Aussiemummy, it was still hard to get the diagnosis.

We have been doing speech, OT & early intervention for the past 6 months and he has come a LONG way!!! I am becoming very hopeful. I have days of pure, blissful denial that are soon knocked back to earth once I see another 'normal' child of the same age. Then I get upset & angry But my DS is an absolute treasure and has a beautiful nature.

Anytime I hear tv shows or lectures on ASD I can't help feeling overwhelmed and it's hard to hold back the tears. I also don't get much emotional support from family, friends or DH. Much of the time I feel very alone & totally responsible for DS's outcome in life. Overwhelming & exhausting to say the least.

Meal times are a NIGHTMARE with us. DS has a very limited diet and flat out refuses to try new things. We were trying to get him on a gluten & casein free diet, but I am finding it near impossible He is on numerous supplements; Omega 3, zinc, iron, digestive enzymes, double dose multi-vitamins & probiotics. I do believe these have helped his development a lot.

aquarius - I hate when that happens. Sorry I wasn't around to respond

Look forward to chatting (venting) more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2made3 View Post

My DS2 was diagnosed with PDD-NOS last September. He has just turned 3yrs. I always suspected it, but like you Aussiemummy, it was still hard to get the diagnosis.
    We are the same here... Im begginning to dread meal times all together... Ds is currently gluten free but we're really struggling to cut out dairy products, especially since eats white foods which are generally all dairy lol (milk, yoghurt, cheese...). Ds also takes quite a few supplements, many similar to what your Ds is taking ( fish oil, zinc drops, multi, baby biotics and about to start a magnesium powder soon also).

I bought myself a really good book "The autism sourcebook" which Im finding extremely informative... Im hoping that if I can somehow understand autism alot more I'll be alot more patient and able to help Ds further.... I hope... lol. I also got quite a large pile of books from the library on all different topics relating to autism, so I have quite a bit of reading to do...

Have you been to an autism playgroup before?

And also, have you tried many alternative therapies like Chiro, kinesiology, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, accupuncture, homeopath etc?? How did you find them?

We've been doing chiro/kinesiology for the last 6 months or so and find quite immediate improvement on the days he does go which is great to see, however the effects don't seem to last very long...

Is your Ds still in nappies also?

Sorry for all the questions.. so glad to have found some other mums to chat to though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'd like to join in your thread. DD1 isn't diagnosed yet. She's 4.5yrs and we're thinking she may have Aspergers. Unusual social skills, poor motor skills, highly verbal but poor comprehension, lots of sensory issues, short attention span, highly emotional (quite irrational at times).

She has done OT and speech therapy for the last 2 yrs. We've also been to Kinesiology which definately helped. Tomorrow we have our first Osteopathy appointment. I am hoping this will help her sleep better at night which is one of our main concerns at the moment. She wakes 2-3 times every night and will stay wide awake for an hour (or two). I also have a 3yr old with reflux that is waking up 2-3 times each night too, so sleep is a big issue right now!

In regards to food she refuses to eat meat and veg, but will happily eat fruit, dairy and bread. She has food intolerances and I am considering trying the gluten and casein free diet, although I can see this will severley limit her food intake.

Toilet training took a long time and she still has the occassional accident during the day. Night time she is still in a pull-ups. I've tried a few times to get rid of the night nappy, but so far it's been unsuccessful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goodluck with the diagnosing process monkeytoes.. Let us know how the osteopathy goes also!

How old was your DD when you started Toilet training? Ds seems to be nowhere near starting to use the potty or staying dry/clean lol. We've been trying all sorts and have recently given up to have a break for a few months and see if his ready again later...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiemummy View Post
    Goodluck with the diagnosing process monkeytoes.. Let us know how the osteopathy goes also!

How old was your DD when you started Toilet training? Ds seems to be nowhere near starting to use the potty or staying dry/clean lol. We've been trying all sorts and have recently given up to have a break for a few months and see if his ready again later...
    We started TT at 18 months because we wanted to get her out of nappies before her little sister was born. What a joke!!! I was under the impression that because I was a dedicated SAHM I could TT my DD early. Then I realised it has little to do with the parents. The child will TT when they are ready.
    She started doing the occassional wee in the toilet at 2.5yrs, but I couldn't say she was propperly TT until 3.5yrs. She seemed to make great progress, then regressed. We went through this cycle several times until eventually she seemed to "get it". Even after her 4th birthday we would have her doing wee's on the couch 2-3 times per week. This usually happened if she was zoned out watching TV. Even now (she'll be 5yrs in July) she has accidents. Last week she had 3 wee accidents. She refuses to go to the toilet before going to bed and first thing in the morning. When she wakes at night I always suggest she goes to the toilet and this makes her cry hysterically. I use bribery when I can. I try explaining to her that everyone goes to the toilet before bed etc. I figure she will get it when she's ready.

I was so lucky that her younger sister TT really easily at 20 months. I didn't even encourage her at all, she just did it.