+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age did you let your kids play outside by themselves???

The other thread got about letting your kids play outside alone got me thinking at what age did you let you kids play outside alone??

I let DD1 who is 3.5 play outside by herself but only when DS who is 18months is having a nap as he can't be trusted outside with just DD out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my oldest i think was 5 when i let her out side on her own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not yet for my 7 year old don't know when I will either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS plays out the back for short periods of time by himself now at 4 yo (5 next month) but the back end of our house is more glass than walls so we can see and hear him out there anyway, he's never quiet lol. I'd never let him out there alone if we had a pool or dog, ever.

I read a story recently of a toddler playing outside by him/herself (can't remember if it was a boy or a girl) and drowned in the pets water bowl They really do need to be supervised at all waking hours, life is so precious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is 14 months and I let him play outside by himself. The back wall of our living room is all glass windows and I leave the back double doors open so I can see and hear him. He's pretty sneaky, tries to run down the side out to the front all the time, so I always have an ear and eye out for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    He was a tad bit over 3 i think and thats with gates open too as my gates are never shut

Sent from my GT-I9000T

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not at this house. We live on acreage here and there are snakes so no way!! But luckily the house is huge so she never really asks to get outside. We go our everyday for our sunshine

At our old rental I did as it was a tiny house in a very safe street with a tiny, fully fenced back yard and she would just run in and out for a few hours a day she was 3 at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 2! Normally when I was doing the laundry and could see him from the back porch. Short times out of my sight probably 2.5 in the back yard and is 3 now and I let him roam as he pleases in the yard all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I let him play out in the yard before he was one I think...he just used to roam around out there while I was doing housework etc and I'd check on him through the upstairs window.

That's in a fully fenced yard though, and I had it pretty well baby-proofed. I've always encouraged independent play, within a safe environment. At 3.5 I still don't allow unsupervised play out the front of our place though, as there is no barrier to the road and it's not worth the risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 15 months and plays outside for short periods of time by herself. It is fully fenced and only when the dog is locked up. I can see outside from the kitchen or laundry so usually she's out there while i'm doing dishes or putting a load on then I join her out there again... She goes in and out of the house all day