+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Exclamation 3 month old constipated - help!

Hey

My DS is 14 weeks old and appears to be constipated. Used to go somewhere around 2 times a day, but hasnt gone for almost 3 days now. Plenty of wet nappys and nothing in his diet has changed.

At the Pharmacy they gave me subpositries (sp?), but said to give him watered down prune juice as well...

My question is, how much do i give him, what ratio of juice to water....

help please....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you're 110% sure it's constipation (my DD had stages where she wouldn't have a poo for a few days, then she'd go through stages where she'd have one every day) then diluted prune juice can help, but a word of warning - go easy!! It's powerful stuff!!

My Dr suggested boiling some prunes in plenty water and then using this water. It's hard to say how long to boil them for, but I wouldn't do it for too long. (ie: I would only boil the prunes until the water started to colour). You can always try it a little stronger next time if it doesn't work. Too much prune juice will cause diorrhea and tummy pains.

My Dr did also suggest diluted pear juice which is a little milder, although I'm not sure of the right concentration of water:juice.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it constipation in the sense of hard dry stools, or just that the frequency is less?
    A change in the frequency of pooing is not uncommon, and nothing to worry about, I have heard someone tell me that magnesium worked wonders for their daughter who had hard dry stools and was in obvious pain when trying to get a bowel motion out, not sure of dosage sorry, and I know nothing about prune juice.
    Can you try offering feeds more often to try to help get the fluid intake up?

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    BTW - my Dr offered the above suggestions in the event that we needed them, but we never did. I was just concerned that she was, at the time, only pooing every 3rd day.

Even if a child has a well-formed (rather than runny or smooth) poo, and even if they seem to be having difficulty passing it (grunting & straining), it is not necessarily constipation.

Obviously I have no idea whether you have been to the Dr about it, so I'm not saying that what you've been told is wrong or anything, it's just that a lot of people think sometimes that they need to do something, when it's really just natural (like me, for instance! )

As ApprenticeMomma said, it is only if they are distressed passing it & the poo is hard and dry that you may need to do something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Bekky,

Are you still predomanantly breastfeeding? My Pead. assurred me it is normal for b'feed babies to go days without a bowel movement. From memory, I think the longest Porsha went was 5 days between.
    Like others have asked...is it the lack of going, or the consistantcy thats worrying you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has gone for a day before without doing something, but this time its been 3 days - not like him at all. and he seems to be getting alot of belly pain.

He grunts and strains doing poo anyway - and has since birth. We constinatly tell him "if you need to push that hard, it doesnt need to come out yet!" but for some reason he doesnt listen.... HA HA... The pharmaist gave us all the other **** of subositrys and such, but i dont really want to give him them, id prefer to give him some watered down prune juice... hense this thread.

thanks heaps for the suggestions! He is still having normal amount of wet nappies - so there shouldnt be any real concern for dehydration. He did have a small 'skid" (for want of a better word) just before - but still nothing on his usual habits.

I was thinking of about 30ml of water, but how much prune juice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bekky,

my DD suffered from severe constipation when she was around 5 months old, right. She didn't go for about a week and throughout that time she would push and grunt (which she always did before when pooing), but nothing would come out. Occasionally there would be "skid" marks. It got so bad that she was in serious pain and was screaming and crying while trying to go. It has happened a fwe more times since then,

Here are some possible remedies, unfortunately, none worked for my DD and I had to endure an afternoon of her screaming in pain while large dry hard poos finally came out. However, she was so backed up that I think they helped after the initial hard stools came out.

Let me add that if you are breastfeeding it is very unlikely that your baby is constipated as someone already mentioned.

1) If you are bottle feeding, you can add an extra 10 mls of water to the bottle preparation as a preventative method although this probably won't help much for the current round of constipation.

2) You can add 1 tsp of sugar to the bottle, but you can only do this for a 24 hr period - this method usually works really well but can cause diarrhoea.

3) prune juice, 60 mls once a day, you should dilute the prune juice 1:3

4) Give cooled boiled water (which you have already mentioned). The idea is to get more water into the system to help loosen up the stools

5) If none of the natural methods work, they have drops at the chemist specifically for constipated infants, although I am sure everyone would agree they would rather not give their babies something unnatural

6) suppositories - last resort. This was what we ended up having to do for my poor DD, and it was the most horrid afternoon. The worst part was that her stools were so hard, 2 suppositories didn't provide much relief for her in passing the stools.

7) What finally helped her pass them was after the suppositories dissolved I put her to soak in a warm bath.

With a lot of pain and crying my poor DD made it through the ordeal. She has since been constipated a few more times, but now that she is on a good range of solids I make sure that she gets a good amount of fruit to keep her regular. I find certain foods are quite constipating to her (namely rice cereal and yogurt)

good luck!

mumma_jessy is offline Proud Mummy To Three Lovely Little People!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD only did 1 poo a week up until about 4 months! But according to the doctors and midwives this is normal for some b/fed babies, it just means they are using up all the nutrients you feed them, so don't have as much to dispose of.

I was told to give her some disolved brown sugar in a bottle with some warm boiled water if i was worried. I only had to wait a few hours for it work, and when it did i tell ya, a weeks worth does not fit in one nappy!

But in saying that, he might not be constipated at all, i'd check with your Dr, pharmacists don't study medicine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i tried the watered down prune juice with both dd and ds, like someone said "watch out its powerful."
    didnt really find it worked for me...well u know what i mean..lol (not to mention they didnt like it) in the long term so dr told me to buy coloxyl drops (at chemist) these work really well, u just place it in there bottle 3 times a day.
    good luck hope it sorts itslef out soon.
    mary