ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help, I can't deal with no sleep anymore

My 8 month old started out a pretty good sleeper, by about a month she was waking twice overnight at 3 and 6 sleeping 7-7 everynight. When she was about 4 months that slowley went down hill.

She will not sleep for longer then 2 hours at a time, i'm constantly having to resettle her, and they only way I can do that is by feeding her. We co-sleep so it does make life alot easier, but co-sleeping wasn't 100% by choice she will not sleep in her cot, hasn't for months!

She is generally a pretty healthy baby, infact when she has been sick she actully tends to sleep better. I feel like a horrible mummy for sometimes wishing she would get sick because it means I get a couple of 3-4 hour blocks

Things I have tried-
    Patting/dummy/waterfall music- tried for 3-4 weeks. It was taking me about 2 hours to get her to sleep each time.

putting her to sleep in the pram- she would fall asleep, but wake up straight away when we moved her, no matter how gentle we were.

controlled crying- tried for 2 weeks and I will never try again. She would become hystrerical very quickly and would then take hours to calm down. During the days she became very clingy and insecure, so this is definatly not the answer for us.

I just don't know what else to do. I constantly feel sick and run down, Hubby and I fight all the time.

I have been telling myself for months it will get better....Once she starts solids she will sleep better, once she gets moving she will sleep better....both came and went and it didn't, infact it has just gotten worse and worse, Now I just keep thinkin this can't last, but I'm starting to doubt that

Please help us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Check out dr jay Gordon. Sleeping through in the family bed. Says for 12 mths + but I used it when my son was younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kar! Had a quick look, and it looks good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aaliyahs mummy,

I have a 7.5 month old DS and about a week ago I could have written your post! Up until 5 months he was a reasonable sleeper but then it all changed. Up every 1.5-2 hours every night and would only have a bottle to go to sleep! I read books to no avail and like you I decided controlled crying wasn't my thing. I did however decide that despite my great intentions, I didn't think I could fix the situation on my own, so I sought outside help.

Last Monday I commenced a five night residential stay at a Mother & Baby unit at a hospital in Melb (aka sleep school) and I can't believe the baby i have bought home - he has slept through every night since Tues, goes to bed without a bottle, self settles and is having 4.5- 5 hours day sleep - i just can't believe the change! Where i went didnt use controlled crying, however there was some crying involved in teaching bubby how to put himself to sleep without a bottle, but I learnt some very effective settling techniques which soothed him. On the first night be grizzled for forty minutes but this reduced to under five mins by day 3. So it wasn't as tough emotionally as I expected!!!

Perhaps it's worth investigating if there is something similar near you? If you're in melb I'm happy to give you the details if where I went.

Good luck - a non sleeping baby is so hard to deal with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Juzz, I'm in melb and have a 5 month old who is suddenly not sleeping properly. Are u able to give me the details of the hospital? I'm in desperate need of a solution! I'm exhausted. Thanks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    Hi Aaliyahs mummy,

I have a 7.5 month old DS and about a week ago I could have written your post! Up until 5 months he was a reasonable sleeper but then it all changed. Up every 1.5-2 hours every night and would only have a bottle to go to sleep! I read books to no avail and like you I decided controlled crying wasn't my thing. I did however decide that despite my great intentions, I didn't think I could fix the situation on my own, so I sought outside help.

Last Monday I commenced a five night residential stay at a Mother & Baby unit at a hospital in Melb (aka sleep school) and I can't believe the baby i have bought home - he has slept through every night since Tues, goes to bed without a bottle, self settles and is having 4.5- 5 hours day sleep - i just can't believe the change! Where i went didnt use controlled crying, however there was some crying involved in teaching bubby how to put himself to sleep without a bottle, but I learnt some very effective settling techniques which soothed him. On the first night be grizzled for forty minutes but this reduced to under five mins by day 3. So it wasn't as tough emotionally as I expected!!!

Perhaps it's worth investigating if there is something similar near you? If you're in melb I'm happy to give you the details if where I went.

Good luck - a non sleeping baby is so hard to deal with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Luvmybubby,

I went to the Mother & Baby Unit at Masada Private Hospital in Balaclava/St Kilda. My health insurance covered all the fees associated with my stay ( with the exception of a $25 tv/foxtel/internet fee). Since my post that was just after our stay (now two weeks ago), my DS has continued to sleep through every night, self settles and continued with good day sleeps etc. It has really been life-changing for us.

If you do not have health insurance, I have also heard good things about the Queen Elizabeth Centre, which is public, but unfortunately it takes 3-4 months to get into their residential stay program. The current wait to get into the Masada Mother & Baby Unit is 3 weeks (as my girlfriend booked in post our experience, and goes next week).

I am so happy with our decision to seek help through a sleep school, my only regret is that I didn't do it two months earlier!!!!

Good luck with overcoming your sleep issue, I know all to well how exhausting it can be.

If you want any further info, just let me know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know its not much, but it WILL pass.
    DD has her nights too, one day I fed her 19 times, and she STILL wouldnt sleep!
    Are you sure that bubs is tired, whe you are trying to settle?
    today DD was up from 930 to 4pm, until she was ready for a nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is us at the moment, except ds2 is 4mths old. Im at my wits end and just exhausted!! In my mind I'm thinking when he starts solids he will sleep better, but I'm also tempted to give him formula at night to see if that will work!!

He too wont sleep anywhere but in our bed, which is just not working for me - there is jus not enough room for him, me and dh

I hope you find something soon because I cant do this much longer!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 4babychinos
    This sounds like how our DD was. she had really bad reflux and we had to rock her to sleep, which just formed bad habits from the start. We ended up doing control crying with her and it was the best thing we ever did for our sanity. She was 7 months when we did it.
    When our DS was born we swore that we would never go down the same road again and we havent. I settled him from the start in his own bed. If he starts squarking just a protest cry then we let him go and 9/10 times he will go off to sleep. If the cry starts getting emotional, then we go in there and give him a rub on his front and he drifts off. If he still won't settle, then we pick him up and give him a cuddle til he stops crying and then we lay him back down in his bed. This has been the best thing we ever did and he is a great sleeper. Thank goodness!!
    It is really hard when you have a hard child to settle. Hang in there!! It will get better.