+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wanting to know about mothers groups.

I have a 6 year old ds at school and a very busy bored 2 year ds at home that needs to get out and interact more and a 7 week baby girl. The problem i have is that our 2 year old needs to be out and about more and learn to interact with other children because he is so bored so i am thinking about joining a mothers group but am nervous about not know any one and people being clicky, our son goes to a private school and is in year one and i have found that at 27 years old that my husband and i are pretty much the youngest parents there and i feel that sometimes they can be very clicky, we had our son at 21 and the mums of my sons friends had their children in there 30's so there is a big age gap between us and i am a stay at home mum and they all work so its hard to get to know them socially and i feel out of place sometimes. i would like to find a mothers group where i can feel comfortable because im nervous of not knowing any body, its hard going into a group of woman who already know each other. Please could you all let me know the good and the bad about mothers groups.
    Last edited by millsmum; 18-03-2011 at 14:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi. I'm 30 with a nearly 7 yr old and two at home as well (same age as your two!) I've found that I'm the youngest mum at school but it really hasn't affected me making friends. One of my good friends is 41. I think age is irrelevant once you've had kids. They have all travelled alot more than me though.
    I joined a playgroup in my area which I found really good. People are alot more open than you may think! We also do music.
    Have a look for playgroup/walking groups/music/gym etc. As it may e easier than joining an already established group iykwim.
    Even going to the park is good for striking up conversation.
    You could even see if there is any bubhubbers in your area!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes try out some Bubhubbers

Where are you located?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What state/area do you live in?

I have the same problem in my area. An affluent area with mums well into their 30's.

I met a great bunch of ladies in their 20's on bubhub.
    I was great because we had an idea of what we were all like before we met. And we always welcome new mums to join us. The note the better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was a good idea about the park, thank you. Im in tamworth nsw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you on Facebook?
    Here in Maitland there is a page/profile on Facebook called "Mummies of Maitland" and it has about 1000 mums on it. They organise park meets etc.... there might be a Tamworth one? Or even start your own

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I joined a church run Playgroup (Not my own religion). As it was pre exhisting there were already premade friendships but they were all lovely. It had organized activities to keep DS busy and he got to do painting - something I hate setting up at home. The only religious thing they do is sing a song at snack time. Oh, and Easter and Christmas. Most let you have a free initial session to see if you like it.

Hope you find a group that you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a playgroup instead of mothers group. I found mothers groups very cliquie. Playgroup however was much friendlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for that, where are play groups held at and what is the difference between the 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Playgroups are usually held in your local community centre - try contacting the council for information. Mothers groups are usually established with your first new baby - the CHN organises a group of new local mums to meet and go to "classes" for a couple of weeks - after that the mums take it from there (well thats how it worked in my area). I do playgroup with my kids and are still the best of friends with my mothers group.