+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Petulia View Post
    Because when your mood is not right it's hard to just shrug things off. I feel like mine would be better off without me too, I'm certainly not contributing anything at the moment. Dads leave all the time, why can't mums? That's what I think anyway. Everyone keeps telling me it will get easier, blah blah blah, but what if I'm just not the mothering type? How do I know what is my PND and what is me?
    that last sentence nails it for me. how do i know if "this" is pnd or just me? i'm a pretty emotional person and wear my heart on my sleeve (although i'm fiercely private) and tend to react quickly to situations. maybe this is just my reactions to being a mum?

i don't really feel depressed as such, sure i have the odd day/s where i feel down/flat etc, but overall i wouldn't say i feel depressed. definitely though i think anxiety is an issue. i come from a line of anxious people and i know i was anxious pre-bub, i think it's just easier to hide/deny/deal with when you only have to think about yourself. having another being reliant on you etc can really bring it out.

i guess the next step for me will be to talk to a gp and get a referral to chat to someone.

we'd like to have a second bub and i'm terrified of dealing with anxiety again plus having 2 kids to take care of. so yeah, it's not something i can defer for much longer i think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Petulia View Post
    I fantasise about going back to work full time and my partner being a stay at home dad (which he would do) - and I've never been the kind of person who loves working! Also the childcare thing - but what would stop me doing that is they would get sick all the time (they say the first year of childcare you can expect to them to get sick with something every other week) and that would freak me out then having to deal with 2 sick babies (they already cry enough) and us getting sick too. I guess I have to add about a month to most developmental milestones as they were premmies, and another 3 months seems like an eternity. Most days I wake up wishing it was already time to go to bed to so time will pass quicker.
    I'm not saying it's not terrible when they get sick every other week but I find that more manageable and give me more sanity than dealing with the kids full time. I felt terrible at the beginning when my DD1 constantly got the bug from childcare and then passing on to baby DD2 but in hindsight I'm so glad I didn't pull her out like I wanted to at the start. She has grown to love it and learnt so much there and I get to have a break! I'm willing to put up with this constant sickness with the hope that it's building their immunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the third day of babies arrival home, at around 3am, I looked at my partner and asked 'what have we done? We had a good life before'. After 72 hours of no sleep, our cute baby started resembling a demon. Every time she closed her eyes, we'd sit motionless praying it might lead to a couple of hours of sleep. Choice phrases like 'what do you you want from me?!?' are heard throughout the house at various ungodly hours when she fails to settle

Still waiting for the 'but the rewards outweigh the hard times! ' bit lol

In all honesty, though - it's a hard adjustment (going from childless and carefree to slave) and there's no shame in honesty - we're human and we get better as we go but it's definitely nothing picnic.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (12-11-2018),fielbes (14-11-2018),Mum-I-Am (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This morning I told my kids that all the patience I've built up over the past 37 years is gone and I have none left. I've always been a patient person, particularly with my kids, but my 5 year old in particular has worn me so thin I feel like if I'm worn down any more there'll be nothing left of me.