+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did childcare affect your bubs sleep routine?

Hi,

My nearly 9 month DD will be starting childcare in ~ 3 weeks and I really don't know how it will affect her sleep.

DD usually has 2 naps a day (~9:30am -11am and ~2:30-3) but at the childcare it's only 1 (~noon). They did say they can follow her usual routine initially but eventually should adapt to the childcare's routine. She's also the type who is inconsistent to settle to sleep at home, i.e. sometimes she cries and sometimes she doesn't. She's even harder to settle outside of home, she can pretty much only sleep in the car (not all the time) or the baby carrier.

So, what are your experiences? Some of my friends reassure me and say their bubs settle into the childcare's routine easily, but can still follow their usual routines when they're at home.

I'd be keen to hear other mums' stories, whether it'd be positive or negative!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i know at our day care it sleep/rest time from 12 till2 but in the babies room they followed ( as closely as worked) my routine, but think the kids gradually start to fall in to the centre routines as they get older........ i wouldnt worry to much a good centre wont just push there set sleep times on a 9 month old, its mostly for the older kids who all sleep on the beds and have a more structured day x hth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyJs For This Useful Post:

Kovi  (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Daycare usually follows bub's routine, the only thing thatmight be affected is how she goes to sleep. DD was let to cry herself to sleep, which is something i wouldnt do so when she was home she would do the same thing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

Kovi  (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our childcare they just put the babies in the cot and settle them when it's time for them to sleep. It's a mixed age room. Sometimes the other kids are outside, sometimes not. They eventually get used to sleeping with noise around them. Sometimes they get woken up by the other kids and there can be some cranky pick ups!! But just early dinner and straight to bed.
    Might be an idea to get baby used to sleeping with some noise. I found the 'sleep sheep' with nature noises good. DD still loves it and she's almost 2!
    Luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tatiana28 For This Useful Post:

Kovi  (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most child care centres I know follow the Childs routine, it is actually a requirement for accreditation. At 9 months it is way too young to be not going to sleep till 1ish isn't it? Sure she may adjust as she gets older but I would for now write out her routine and ask they stick to it and as she gets older both work out her next routine with the centre. HTH.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niks28 For This Useful Post:

CrazyJs  (05-03-2011),Kovi  (05-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Atizmum - how they go to sleep is also exactly another thing I wasn't sure about. I asked them what they do and they simply said when it's nap time they draw the curtains and put on some special music, and the kids will go to sleep. If only it was that easy!! I asked what if they cry? They said the carers will settle them and wouldn't let them cry.

Tatiana28 - DD will be put in the newborn - 2yo room and she will sleep in the cot rather than a mattress. Thanks for your tip about sleeping with noise, as DD does sleep in a quiet room at home. I notice you're in Melbourne too, do you mind if I ask which area you're in?

Niks28 - I agree that it is quite a long time for a 9 month old to be awake from the morning till noon. I didn't realise it's a requirement for childcare to follow bubs routine, I'll investigate and see whether it's the same here.

Thanks again, hopefully there will be more replies....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out the national childcare accreditation council and principle 6.5 says indicator of high quality; Children have individual routines and a quiet place is available all day for any child to use.

Good luck if you choose to say something!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 15 months and started childcare 5 weeks ago. He is also a bad sleeper, especially during the day. His room has children aged 12 to 22 months with him being the 4 th youngest. Most if the kids sleep once a day after lunch at noon in cots in cot rooms (3 cots to a room). But as DS was just too tired and not sleeping well there with one sleep DS now has two sleeps just like at home. It has taken 4 weeks for DS to actually go down and sleep for the second time but his carers have been really good about trying to support DS's usual routine. I do however plan a very quiet morning on Thursdays at home as after 3 days at daycare DS is shattered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine has just started daycare and is on 2 sleeps a day, as are most of the little ones in the babies room. They do try to follow babies home routine but at the same time put them down together so they don't disturb each other once asleep. There are 8 babies in the room and it is very light; at home her room is dark and quiet. She goes to sleep very easily at home and to my surprise did go to sleep ok at daycare but only slept about half as long, because she was disturbed by other babies when they woke. The babies who can't settle themselves are rocked or patted to sleep. Also one thing that happened was due to some separation issues she started waking 2-4 times per night again after sleeping through consistently for about 6 weeks so be ready for that.. A bit of a killer when you have to get up for work..

My bub is 11 months btw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS started family daycare about 6 weeks ago for 1 day a week.
    His daycare mum told me to write down his routines and promised she will stick to them as much as possible. DS used to nap twice a day and she would put him asleep twice a day. However he would only have 2 X 1 hour, so I tried to change it. For the last 3 weeks I have been putting him to sleep once a day and he sleeps for 2.5 hours straight. Now his daycare mum has been doing the same and he sleeps just as well there.

I think that because it's only a family daycare with maximum 4-5 kids, she has more time to stick to the sleeping routines. She also only allows 2 kids under 2 each day and the rest are between 2-5 years old, so they don't need naps, nappy changes and extra supervision like the bubs do. That gives her more time to concentrate on the littlies and their routines.