+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental application- "Reason for Leaving"????

I'm only just starting to think about starting to look again properly (lol) but there's a place open tomorrow that looks ok so thought i would check it out.

Going through the application, I always get stuck on this question: "Reason for leaving" (current address)? If the real reason is that the place is a sh!thole and the landlord is a nightmare, how do I word that without seeming like a potentially difficult tenant?

I'm not, honestly, and my record for the last 2 years here is impeccable- the owner however has had his "own way" of managing the place (when it stated on my agreement that it would be fully managed by the RE)- and the problems have been endless. At the moment I have only one working hotplate on the stove, another which emits electrical shocks when switched on and a back door about to come off its hinges, and a ceiling growing more mildew by the day, amongst other things.

I know that I will have to basically take it to the Tribunal to get these things fixed- it's been months and months of nothing happening and I'm fed up to the point where I don't even care any more. (Thanks for hitting me with over 6 months worth of water bills you "forgot" about and expecting them paid within the 2 weeks before Christmas last year, too, sir. Cheers. )

So what would be a good thing to put in that space? I don't want any new agencies thinking I've been asked to leave but I don't want to come across as someone who has lots of grievances with my landlord either. (Although I do- , but not without good reason. I've rented from some wonderful owners in the past.)

I was also asked by the last property guy when I put in an application recently when I had to move by, as he said they generally give priority to applicants who are on a deadline, once they've done all the checks etc. I thought that was considerate of them but I'm NOT on any deadline, I guess most landlords wouldn't care anyway but would it help to get my application at least moved to the step of being seen by the owner if I said I had to be out by a certain time? It seems only the nice-to-tenants-type RE agencies take that into consideration, but they're the only ones I deal with anyway (Know my local area!)

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    closer to work, want more room, different parking arrangement, stairs not suitable, blah blah.

make something up, they won't actually be able to check it up, just pick something that they won't freak about!

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work in real estate so I have a bit of experience from the inside on that one. If you simply say that "the property was unfit for habitation" it would sound better. The only issue with that is if they call your agent for a rental referral they will bring that up and ask about the issues, which could lead them to open up about any other issues. Otherwise, would it be feasible to say that you want to be closer to transport or some other amenity that the new property is closer to? Is it bigger than the old one? If so you could say that you need a bigger property. Just some ideas for you...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Go the 'need more space' or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh, and quite a few applications that come through our office have a blank space after that question. It is not necessarily the most important question in an application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I said "insufficient storage" on one, and "can't afford the $30 per week rent increase" on the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lol I love "insufficient storage"! It would be true! Thanks ladies I think I'll write something positive about the next property rather than something negative about the current