+ Reply to Thread
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can it happen a second time around?

Hi,

I'm expecting my second child in a few months and the one thing that really frightens me is going through the trauma of learning how to breastfeed again.

I persisted with breastfeeding with my son through a truely awful 4 or 5 months before I felt comfortable (physically) with feeding him. In the end, I breastfed him for 20 months, stopping only when he started refusing (and by which stage I was pregnant again)

I persisted at what I think was at the expense of my own sanity and health and I worry about going through that all over again, particularly with two little ones to worry about.

If you experienced difficulty the first time round, did you also struggle a second/third etc time around?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    cant offer any help but im sure one of he lovely BF mums can so i thought I would bump in case they missed it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (09-03-2011)

Guest Guest
    I've just started bf my newborn and so far yes it's been difficult again, but for different reasons and theyre different babies when it comes to feedings.
    I don't have any advice sorry but perhaps when your new one arrives you could re asses and see how you feel? It could be a totally different experience this time like it is for me? (and hopefully better for you)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 10 weeks in to bf dd2 after a horrible time with dd1. Dd1 was bf for 4 weeks thenon ebm till she was 3.5 months. I suffered bad.pnd because of my traumatic bf with dd1.

Each bub is different, I have had issues with attachment, no pain, etc this time Round. I also think I have placed less pressure on myself as well. I'm just taking it all day by day!!!

Definitely let the me know how you are feeling if you arehaving a hospital birth. Arm yourself with a good lc, even though I had no physical issues needed help with just seeing her and talking to her was such good moral and mental support.

It's not easy with two that young, my dd1 was only 14 months when dd2 came along, but it is nowhere near as hard as what I thought it would be.

Good luck. Ways here to chat!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chicken and eggs mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you considered going to a breastfeeding education class? They are run in each state through aba (see website). They may have some info that could help plus there are 2 trained counsellors there to could talk through your individual situation. As well it includes membership to give you ongoing support through your second lactation. Hth x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had big troubles breastfeeding my first child, did so for about three weeks (of sheer hell!), then fed him EBM for a couple of months, before changing to formula.

When my daughter was born, 22 months later, I told the midwives in hospital that as far as breastfeeding was concerned, they should treat me like a new mother. I was determined to give it a go, but equally determined that if it did not work out, I would be going to formula, and WOULD NOT be guilted in persisting if it stressed bub and I out too much. And it was ridiculously easy!

Then, when #3 was born nine years later, I went in with the same attitude, and had very few hassles once again.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox in Sox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a horrible time breast feeding my ds. Horrible birth, horrible start. Supply issues. I ended up feeding him for 3-4 months- all of which were a struggle

my dd is 3 weeks tomorrow- and it has been a walk in the park. Despite having a tongue tie, she attaches and feeds like a pro.

Because of the issues i had with ds, through the pregnancy i studied ways i could have a better birth. I also joined the aba- though have had no reason to call them yet- and read the book they sent. I made sure i know what correct attachment looked like etc.

Good luck- i hope your 2nd time around goes as well as mine!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for the advice ladies - it is much appreciated!