+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Implanon or mirena?? please help.

Hi guys, i am pregnant with baby #4 and this will be our last, so i am looking into long term contraception, I am tossing up between the mirena and implanon. Can people please tell me there personal experiences on both, i have heard good and bad about both.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing - I am interested too!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Happymumzy  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the implanon and I love it. I haven't had a period since having it in but I do get some very light spotting every so often. I do get slightly paranoid that I may be pregnant so I do a test every 2 months or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Señor Chang For This Useful Post:

Happymumzy  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 3 implanon's. I love the fact they last for 3 years. You can have it put back in while you're breastfeeding too. I haven't had a period since having one in. Love it! I also fell pregnant straight away after having it removed (I know you don't want more kids!).

I don't have any experience with the mirena but couldn't be happier with the implanon!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bg14 For This Useful Post:

Happymumzy  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had implanon after DS#1, inserted when he was 8 weeks and I didn't get a period until he was 11 months, I stopped bf at 8 months. Whilst bf, it was wonderful. But when I got my period it came for 6 weeks straight. I also had terrible mood swings, tiredness and weight gain until I had it taken out, after which everything returned to normal.

You might just have to try it and see. I never had any probs with levlen oral pill for the many years I took it so I guess implanon just wasn't for me unless coupled with bf.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I had implanon put in after I had my DD. I didn't have any noticeable side effects, it enabled me to breastfeed, and i didn't get a period the whole time I had it in. After I had it removed, it took about 6 weeks to get a period, and then I fell pregnant. Highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 2 implanons and a mirena. the first implanon was absolutely fantasic, i only had a little weight gain, but no other real side affects. 3 years later when i had the second on put in i had nothing but problems with it, my cycle went from being fairly regular to totally out of whack, i had awesome PMS(no-one wanted to be around me) and massive period pain and would bleed 10 days on, 2 weeks off. I went through that for about 8 months before i switched to a mirena . i hadn't had any kids by that stage and alot of people will tell you that they dont put a mirena in if you havent, but it just means i had to have it inserted at a day surgery where they gave me a D&C as well to sort out why i was bleeding so much, so i had a GA to put it in.
    After three months i didn't get AF anymore, and the only notable complaint was from DH who said the strings sometimes scratched him which was easily fixed at the check up with the gyno.
    moral of the story, personally a mirena worked better for me, but i wouldn't know the difference if i hadn't had both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I do love my implanon and it's a less invasive procedure so tends to be a nice place to start.

It's slow release and pretty much stops effecting you once it's out (in most cases).

I found that after 2yrs the first time I went a little mental though. Jealous, obsessive, paranoid... I just had to have it removed. Within a week I was back to normal.

I've just had it put back in this week as treatment for endometriosis so will have to let you know how it goes this time round, but remember that everyone reacts to the same hormones differently. So it the joy of the fluctuating hormone levels we all have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on my 3rd implanon and love it. For about the first 2 years I get no period then irregular light spotting the last year. The hormone level drops off gradually which is why that happens to me. But it depends on your body, everyone reacts differently. I've heard of a lot of friends who've had problems with it but for me it's great. Have you tried the injection? if so and your body coped well with it then it should be fine (same type of hormone).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had implanon for 9 months and bled everyday unless I was taking strong hbc pill. I also I very strong abdominal cramps everyday and was extremely emotional.

I went for the copper IUD instead of the Mirena because I wanted to avoid any hormones. I have have found it fantastic, had normal periods, and no hormonal problems. I also lost 4kgs instantly due to all the fluid that the hormones were making me retain.