Closed Thread
Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    "Yous"

There is no plural to the word 'you'.

Don't say "Yous should come over to dinner" (or worse: "you's" ).

Maybe try "you guys" or "you all" instead, or better yet, "You should all come over for dinner". *happy sigh*
    Oh yeah, that's a good one. Especially when they put an 'e' on the end, 'youse'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    Oh yeah, that's a good one. Especially when they put an 'e' on the end, 'youse'.
    Haha, nothing worse than spelling an imaginary word incorrectly!!

I though of some more, couldn't sleep last night

• Peak instead of peek (I took a peak around the corner
    • The misuse of the word literally would have to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It is not a word used just to emphasise something! On the biggest loser the other night Michelle said she was 'literally sweating bullets'. Um, okay?
    • I realised I didn't throw in a trick to remembering the difference between affect/effect in my previous post. The only thing I can think of is the Effect is the End result, does that help?

I have to admit I am an overuser of exclamation points and ellipses. Ah well, we can't always be perfect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never understand ending a sentence with 'but'. E.g., "I'll have to go home early but."

I think this is an 'Aussie-ism'??? For ages after I arrived in Australia I'd keep answering "But what?" It genuinely baffled me for ages...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I never understand ending a sentence with 'but'. E.g., "I'll have to go home early but."

I think this is an 'Aussie-ism'??? For ages after I arrived in Australia I'd keep answering "But what?" It genuinely baffled me for ages...
    I hate this too. There's nothing to understand, don't worry, it's wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't stand the word literally misused either
    'I literally froze to death' What??? How are you still talking if you are dead?
    "I literally laughed my **** off" What?? You are now **** less?

I also dislike when people say something is blatantly obvious - blatant means obvious.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerised View Post
    [*]The misuse of the word literally would have to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It is not a word used just to emphasise something! On the biggest loser the other night Michelle said she was 'literally sweating bullets'. Um, okay?

I have to admit I am an overuser of exclamation points and ellipses. Ah well, we can't always be perfect
    The other day I heard someone say they were "literally over the moon"... I almost giggled

I also overuse ellipses when online, but I justify it because I think it makes the typed word closer to a real conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, everyone must hate/avoid my posts because I do so much of this stuff...

!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iMischa View Post

!
    Not at all
    I love your posts

Grammar/spelling isn't that big of a deal for me, i know i make lots of mistakes that may annoy people. I use - a lot and ..... and !!! my grammar isn't the best.
    Some things annoy me (like loose instead of lose) but not to the point that i avoid/hate posts.
    The only posts i avoid reading are really, really ones with no punctuation at all because it hurts my eyes trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by iMischa View Post

!
    No, not at all! None of these things make me avoid any posts.

My biggest problem (with writing posts) is over-use of the emoticons. I just love them... Sometimes I have to exercise huge self-control, when all I really want to do is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    In essays, important letters or emails I use proper grammar and spelling. On bh, fb and texts I don't worry about it. I'm usually on my iPhone which I hate typing on as it's either always too sensitive or it's not sensitive enough or I'm too busy doing other things to care. I would never pull someone up on grammar or spelling, it is so rude.
    See, I don't get this. If you can spell, and you understand grammar, doesn't it just come naturally? I couldn't imagine being too busy not to spell properly. It would actually take me MORE time not to.

I don't know if I'm making sense ... but I post predominantly from my phone too, and again, it would take me longer NOT to get it right. I would have to think really hard not to spell a word properly or use correct grammar. It's just that ingrained, I guess.

I know what you mean about your DH though. Mine has three degrees (one honours) and he is terrible at spelling. My favourite one of his is a note he left me once: 'I love you my sweat'