+ Reply to Thread
    DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should we change schools? Opinions needed!!

I'm thinking about changing the school DS goes to. Atm he attends a private catholic school which is literally on the same street as us so very convienient and is the best school in our area (inner city). I think the school is fairly good but tbh I think DS would do better with a more 'hands on' learning enviroment.

He's had some behavioural issues and has been seeing an OT for them. I think his teacher has been doing a fairly good job of dealing with his behaviour, but whenever we talk about it there is always this underlying air of...frustration? I just get the feeling that she see's him as a 'problem' child and would really rather not bother with it all. It's nothing i can really put my finger on, just a feeling.

Anyway, my lease is up and I've been looking around at schools which I think might suit DS a bit more. I was thinking maybe a Steiner or Montessori school but then came across a public school in a gorgeous little town about 20 minutes out of the CBD. It incorporates a lot of steiner & montessori philosophies and looks to be very hands on in learning, plenty of awesome programs and facilities. And of course, once we're in the catchment area he's garunteed a spot. There is also a Montessori school in this town and a Steiner school a few towns over on a bus route so I'd say we're pretty spoilt for choice if we move there.

I'd have to get the ok from DS's dad as per the court order. But i don't forsee it being too much of an issue. though.

But I spoke to my Dad today and he seemed to think that I should stay put and let DS settle in and stabilize with his OT for 'a year or two' before moving him. This seems like a ridiculous idea to me though. Why would I let DS settle in at a school which I did not intend on keeping him in? He started mid year last year so has done half a year of reception already and will now do another full year of reception. Personally I think it's the perfect time to move him as he will have half a year to settle into the new school before staring year one. But now I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experience with this kind of situation?

Should I stay another year (even though I don't want to) to let him settle in? Or should I do the move and have him settle where I intend for him to stay?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I changed my kids school late last year, best thing i ever did, although most of our town told me not to, i am pleased i did.

My kids now have to get dropped at the jetty and take a ferry ride to school, but a bus waits for them on the other side and takes them to school. It ends up being a pretty big day all up for them, but they have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. Both were apparently bottom of therir class here, had behaviour problems etc etc...over there DD is top of her class, voted on the student council etc DS has caught up to the other kids really well and can now read his home reader (before he couldnt read the word 'THE' They put him in a special class so he can catch up and he is doing exactly that

Trust your instinct

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JabberJaw For This Useful Post:

DaughteroftheForest  (23-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What year is he in? If it is the first few years of school, I would change as they are IMO the most important years for learning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

DaughteroftheForest  (24-02-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I had a similar situation. My DS was in kindy last year at a public school and was struggling he did OT it was mainly his fine motor skills but then would struggle and be silly in class. The teachers were great but he was not even getting the foundations of reading and writting. Spoke to the principal NO HELP I wanted to repeat him she said to wait until year 6, No way when all his friends will go to high school. So after much thought and opinions we moved him this year to a catholic school. He loves it coming along in leaps and bounds - yes misses his old friends but I would be worried if he didn't but I also repeated him so he started kindergarten again so everyone was new which has help. Totaly pain for me before could walk to the school 5 minutes now a 10 minute drive each mroning but worth it.

My opinion is you just have to follow your instinct you will know. But if just the teacher he will get a different one each year and could geta dud anywhere

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jacandbelly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you feel the smaller school will be more helpful in dealing with his behaviour issues and won't be frustrated at him, then I'd change his school. Leaving your DS in this current school for a year or two isn't a good idea if you already have a feeling that the teachers will see him as a problem child. He may carry that label all throughout the next few years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bibs For This Useful Post: