+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How did you know you were ready for a dog?

Hi guys I would love some advice on owning a dog. My son dearly wants a boxer and I know he would really care for a dog I'm just a bit nervous. What are the pros and cons of a dog? Also costs of expenses and cost of using a boarding kennel when needed.

Adivce on boxers would also be great. I terrible visions of my leather lounge being torn to shreds lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know about boxers, but we have a 5 year old border collie and DS (17 months) and she are best friends. The most damage she has ever done is rip up her bedding and dig holes. With him, she is very gentle and he climbs all over her and when she's had enough she goes and hides!

I would recommend puppy classes. We did that with ours and it helped with obedience. She is a very good girl and everyone always comments on how lovely she is. Part if that is her temperament, and part is training and how we raised her. She gets to sit on the lounge and have cuddles on the bed, but only when invited. She knows her place in the pack and has gone from 3rd to 4th easily.

I thinks kids and dogs are a good mix if you get the right dog. Some aren't kid friendly due to breed or temperament, so make sure the doggy parents aren't aggressive and are social and friendly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I thinks kids and dogs are a good mix if you get the right dog. Some aren't kid friendly due to breed or temperament, so make sure the doggy parents aren't aggressive and are social and friendly
    Couldn't agree with this more and also the training. Also do some research on whether boxers are prone to any ailments that could shorten their life span and select breeders whose stud dogs have no history of these. We have a large German Shepherd who is great with both our kids and has no history in his blood lines of hip dysplasia (very common in large dogs, especially Shepherds). He was a little quirky in his younger days (chased shadows and butterflies) but never ever aggressive towards children although we never left him unsupervised around them at any point). He is quite the opposite and tends to be over-protective. He frets if the kids get too far away from him so he has been a wonderful companion to both kids. My biggest con for dogs is the hair!!! Even if your dog is an outside dweller, their hair goes everywhere although boxers have lovely short coats so not really as big a problem. The other issue is poo. Big dogs do big poos and lots of them. Having kids renders you immune to most poo so you should be fine.

In regards to boarding, prices vary from centre to centre so best to call around your area and compare prices as well as finding customer reviews. As an example, the centre we use (NOR Perth) charges approx $23 a day. They aren't cheap but they have lovely air conditioned kennels and seem to care a great deal for their boarders. The daily fee does not include walks or treats which we usually include. 30 min walks can cost around the $20 to $30 mark.
    Last edited by TeenyT; 19-02-2011 at 12:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies that's a great help. Teeny T is that an extra $20 for a walk on top of the daily rate? Crikey I need to be walking dogs for that price!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We always leave ours with family when we go away, but check your area for pet sitters. There are a few around here which are a bit cheaper than kennels and they will come and walk, feed and play with the dogs for an hour a day while you are away. I'd use something like that for a few days, but not for longer stays as would be scared she'd fret without us.

If gong away for a long trip, you can also get a housesitter who will look after the pets. If you go through an agency they are police checked and should be safe!!