+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What were your experiences with a Doula like??

Im nearly 17 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy and im considering having a doula this time. I had a horrible experience with Ds's labour and birth and this time im really trying to make it a positive one.

Im just wondering if any of you have had a doula, and what was your experience like? Was it much easier? Did you feel like you could cope better? or it didnt really make a difference?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a Doula (first baby - no more just yet). It was the BEST thing we ever did. Hubby claims it as his idea (even though I mentioned it early on the pregnancy). He did do some research of his own and say one morning "we are getting a Doula".

She was amazing while we were at home and if it hadn't of been for her I don't think I would have had the natural birth that I had (private hospital and I didn't like one of the midwives). She knew just what to do as well when we were at the hospital.

When we get around to having no.2, I'll be contacting her again ASAP to book in!

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an amazing Dould at my second baby's birth. She was awesome, she took all the pics, helped out with massage, positioning, guarded my birth plan, kept me hydrated, she even shampooed and conditioned my hair for me in the shower afterwards when I was too sore to stand I would definitely recommend one.

It also took alot of pressure of DP as he was free to be focused solely on supporting, massaging, cuddling me rather than the practical stuff in the background.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what are the approx costs associated with a doula? is it just a flat fee?

Thanks
    Reviews
    my first birth was bad too and thats why i got one. A big part for me was talking over what happened and having my feelings validated and dealt with. I guess fees would vary but mine was a flat fee 1500 paid in 3 installments. Well worth it for the support both before and during labour. It was like having your mum there as pp said she 'tended' to me but also advocated and knew the way things work. Highly recommend it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies Im going private so will ask my OB about it next week - if he has any problems ill just say shes a friend lol.