+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Compelling reason to attend out of catchment school?

Hi

My daughter is due to start kindergarten next January 2012. We're currently renting our house and I'm not overally impressed with our 'catchment' school.

I would like for her to attend the school in the next suburb but we are 'out of catchment'. I have spoken to the school and they have said that they have taken children out of catchment but I need to complete their out of catchment form and have a compelling reason as to why she should attend. My reasons for wanting my daughter to go to this school is that they offer languages, band and other programs that my catchment school does not. Overall, results are significantly better than my local school.

Our hopeful intention is to move within catchment this year as our tenancy is up for renewal this year. I will have to do the out of catchment form though as this closes in March.

I know this would be specific to a child's application but has anyone had any experience in this or any good ideas on what to include as a compelling reason?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no idea but here's a bump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe tell them you are looking to move into their catchment area in the next few years and dont want to disrupt your childs education?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thunk the reasons you have are very plausible. I would emphasize the fact that u are moving to the area. I would say that u are moving in the next 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say that you plan on moving into that area ASAP, and feel it is the best choice of school for your DD.

Is it time to enrol kids for kindergarten 2012 now? DD1 is going next year and I thought I would enrol her mid year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post
    I'd say that you plan on moving into that area ASAP, and feel it is the best choice of school for your DD.

Is it time to enrol kids for kindergarten 2012 now? DD1 is going next year and I thought I would enrol her mid year?

Cheers all for replying.

You are right in that schools seem to take local enrolments from about July time year before. Its just that this school have said they look at the out of catchment in May (have to submit by March).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely emphasis the moving bit. Also, will she be attending before and after school care? If so, try and get a comfirmed position in a program and mention that- it will help greatly. Any family in that area or 2nd emergency contact info will also be good.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Definitely emphasis the moving bit. Also, will she be attending before and after school care? If so, try and get a comfirmed position in a program and mention that- it will help greatly. Any family in that area or 2nd emergency contact info will also be good.
    agreed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Thats a great idea, I'll look into before and after care for the school as well. Many thanks.