+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New mum questions

Hi,
    I found out yesterday that I'm pregnant. Again. I miscarried last may at 7 weeks so theres that thought constantly on our minds.
    Although what i'm more interested in now is peoples thoughts on Private health insurance. For or against and reasons???
    We're in 2 minds about it and just don't know if it is worth it.
    Mel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy!
    I can't really help with the private health insurance, i have never had it, we live in the country and don't really need it, but if i lived in the city i most probably would get it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    CONGRATS MEL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.
    We live in the country and the nearest hospital at all is 30 mins away.
    The nearest hospital of a decent size is an hours drive away.
    We think it is probably a good idea, not just coz of Wigglet but also for glasses, dentures, my ability to be run over by a motorbike etc. Also DH is accident prone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!!

We got private health because we both see the chiropractor regularly, save on dentist trips and for peace of mind, seeing as though DH does a few sporting activities that have seen him hurting himself in the past. So for us its worth it. Pregnancy wise, I like that i have consistency of care with one OB and i really wanted a private room and one where DH could stay the whole time.

Are you thinking about PHI for your pregnancy? If so, I think you may have missed the boat. There is usually a one year waiting period before you can claim on pregnancy related things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have private health, i think its great. You never know what could happen and if one of us had an accident or illness the last thing we want to be worried about is forking out heaps of money. I also think it can cut down your waiting time for certain things..although im not sure

We upgraded to be covered for obstetrics when I wa thinking about having a baby, however it happened very quickly and I have not served the 12 month waiting period..so we went through the public birth centre, which has been great and hasn't costed us a cent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! Do you mean whether or not to use it? Obviously it is too late to get it for this pregnancy if you don't already. It really depends what you want and the birthing options where you are. I chose private for continuity of care, a private room at the hospital of my choice and the opportunity for my husband to stay with us at hospital for the 4 days post birth.

It worked out well too - I had an awesome, active, natural labour (at the hospital nicknamed Caesar's Palace, no less!) and great support pre and post birth (in comfort)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    Weve been looking at it for awhile and were thinking of getting it for the fact were both accident prone.
    Although apparently now im not allowed to do any of the things i get hurt at.....
    The other issue is DH is 29 this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

My husband and I had top level cover on everything for years, and after using it only on some minor dental & podiatry work, we finally scrapped it altogether. I wish we'd self insured for those years as we'd be so much better off now, it didn't come cheap!

It would have been nice for maternity (but really, the main benefit is the private room, and that comes at a hefty out of pocket price), but I'd rather go public as the intervention rates are much lower so my chances of a natural birth are much better - and it won't cost us a cent for basically the same treatment.

If you do go ahead, just be very careful about waiting periods, as a previous poster said, it's usually 1 year before you qualify for maternity!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on the great news. Yeh, like others said there is a one year waiting period on private health insurance for maternity. I do think your can still be a public patient and pay to see someone private with out having insurance. However the cost is rather high.