+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Controversial - Anyone tried Regression therapy

Hi all

I've suffered chronic depression since the birth of my 3rd child, now 18 months old. I am considering doing regression therapy, going into my past lives to see if there is something I've carried over to cause this debilitating depression.

They also hypnotise you to see if you have blocked anything out from childhood etc for those of you who don't believe in past lives.

I know when I'm having one of my meltdown days that I have this deep seated sadness & despair and I have no idea where it comes from.

I think I'm just sick of being on so many meds, feeling like a zombie, I've tried Psych's, support groups etc, just at the point I feel I need to fix this once & for all. I'm so sick of being up & down as are my children and husband! And cats, poor loves!

Just wondered if anyone has tried this or heard any successful stories regarding hypnotherapy and regression therapy.

Thankyou in advance

Gracie xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are right with your title heading that it is controversial. This is because there are a lot of cases of false memory recovery.

In normal phychology they do not even think it is necessary to remember in detail past events as this can make you feel worse.

You can heal from past events or what you think may have happened to you by doing the therapy without knowing the details of what has happened to you, if anything even has.

Personally I would not do it, even though I thought about it once upon a time. I became a little obsessed for a while with the idea that something I can't remember must have happened for me to feel this way, and the more literature I read supporting this theory, the more into this theory I became. This was just a way for me to cope with how I was feeling as in society.. "something must have happened" if you feel bad. The truth is, that nothing has to happen for you to feel bad. I never tried this therapy but today I sit here feeling sunny and fine and have no worries about what may or may not have happened to me in this life or past lives (if they exist) I went to a phychiatrist for a while years ago and when I found out that I don't have to control everything, including my past, and that I don't have to know absolutly everything that has happened to me in order to be happy.

If you research the negative affects of past life regression or repressed memories, you will find a lot of negative findings about how these patients feel after they undergo these "treatments". To me it was not a risk I wanted to take. Why do you think it will make you feel better? If something horrible happened to you... do you think it would make you feel better or worse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your honesty Melbournemummy, I am a bit confused as to whether this is the right path for me, I'm just a big believer in everything spiritual and I have only read positive outcomes for people who have done this.

After reading your thoughts I will do some further research into negative outcomes. I just feel it may answer a few questions for me, and help me with some negative relationships I have with some people.

I am scared if I found out I died horrifically, would that make me feel worse. Also with my mental state being quite fragile, I could be susceptible to negative energies.

It is a curiosity I have had for sometime and I'm going to seek some help and answers from some spiritual & natural healers that I know before I go ahead with it.

Also, I asked my angels (don't think I'm weird!) to give me a sign whether or not I should go through with this, I'm wondering if you message was the sign!

Very confused!!

Will keep you posted.

Thanks once again
    Gracie xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have never heard of this before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GracieV View Post
    Thankyou for your honesty Melbournemummy, I am a bit confused as to whether this is the right path for me, I'm just a big believer in everything spiritual and I have only read positive outcomes for people who have done this.

After reading your thoughts I will do some further research into negative outcomes. I just feel it may answer a few questions for me, and help me with some negative relationships I have with some people.

I am scared if I found out I died horrifically, would that make me feel worse. Also with my mental state being quite fragile, I could be susceptible to negative energies.

It is a curiosity I have had for sometime and I'm going to seek some help and answers from some spiritual & natural healers that I know before I go ahead with it.

Also, I asked my angels (don't think I'm weird!) to give me a sign whether or not I should go through with this, I'm wondering if you message was the sign!
    That's ok, I am glad you aren't offended. I don't think that you are weird for asking your angels either, I think that it was a good thing anyway, as it is any form of being spiritual (praying, meditation, asking your guides/angels/god etc) that makes you more able to concentrate on making the right choice for you.

My questions at the end of my post weren't rhetorical either, I should have said, they are some of the questions I considered and asked myself, and maybe they would be helpful. Reading my post back to myself they sounded rude lol.

Like I said in my post, I really considered this option and even had a therapist in america whom I was living with at the time (long story lol) wanting to have a fellow therapist do it for me and had a friend have it done by him. Nothing really happened for her. She found out some stories of her past life but she thought it was more just a fun story that didn't matter to her. At the time I declined as I was fine at the time. When my first daughter was born though I was going through a really hard time and wanted to know answers for why I felt so bad all the time. This was when I sat there wishing I could have it done. I am glad I didn't know any therapists at the time to do it because in my volnerable state I would have done it for sure.

It has taken almost three years after my first DD1's birth to feel ok again and it happened over time, to the point where I sit here and remember how I felt when she was 6 months old and feel shocked to remember how bad I felt when I feel so good now. When I try to pinpoint what made me feel better, I can't. I just got through it one day at a time, went to therapy and had another baby. My second daughter healed me in a lot of ways.

Ultimatly it is up to you, to do what is right for you to heal. For me, I didn't want to risk feeling worse, so that was my personal choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I completely agree with what MM has said. There really are a huge number of false memory recoveries and the devastation it causes can be unrepairable. An ex-psychiatrist of mine suggested I do it for reasons I won't go into here and I immediately declined because for me personally, I think it's a very, very bad idea...not to mention a dangerous one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently visited a Kinesioligist to help with my depression. I have spoken about her before, that I had an immediate sense about her that she was a true, genuine healer. I trust my instincts where people are concerned. She had a beautiful calming nature.

Anyway she has given me the number of a medium/clairvoyant who is going to do a reading for me tomorrow, not a past life regression but try to give me some answers as to where my sadness comes from. I don't think this could be harmful and after my brief conversation with her over the phone, I only felt positive about her. I'm looking so forward to speaking to her tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes.

She also does regression therapy, but I would need to go to Melbourne to see her in person (I'm in Canberra) but I will judge how tomorrow goes before I make the decision to do this.

Thankyou all for your concern, but I believe this is the right path for me. I have found someone I trust who has been referred to me by someone I trust implicitly, not just some number from the phonebook.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by asking this question. I'm not going to tell others to do it, just wondered if anyone had undertaken this.

I'm feeling very low and down today, very homesick and lonely as all my friends & family are in Perth. We are here for hubby's job and I feel a bit trapped. I think this is the reason why I'm searching for answers and help. I sometimes feel any decision is too hard to make when I'm feeling like this.

Hope you all have a good day and are feeling a bit brighter than me.

Love Gracie xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi gracie ive been reading this thread and im not judging you at all. my husband lives with severe debilitating depression. we lived in a small country town with no/little support life was hard and mundane and he spent all day in bed or on the computer and all night on the computer he thought the only way out was suicide.
    we got in contact with a company that support people with depression called lamp they relocated us to a place we dreamed of living,right near the beach,he goes to a music group run by them and has opportunities to do something with them almost every day of the week and there is support for me as well. he goes fishing on the beach at least once a week and often with my younger brothers. we also attend the church here and love going down to the foreshore with them for a byo picnic and swim time while getting to know them. we bought a puppy and my husband is begining to see a light at the end of all this.at long last his depression has lasted at least 8 years on meds (they have also just got the dosage right) and seeing counciling and this is the only time i have seen a change in him.so what im trying to say through all this is dont give up hope it does improve and it does get easier maybe you just need a change in your life?! something you can enjoy? all the best to you and i hope you see the light at the end of your tunnel and find the answers you are looking for ever just want some one to chat to feel free to pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to send you some hugs I hope you're feeling better soon. Looking forward to hearing how your reading goes. I hope you get the answers you want

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you would have already had your reading today, so i won't wish you good luck, but let us know how it went.

If you feel like it is 100% the path for you, then you can only follow what your heart believes.