+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejkid View Post
    Hey ladies. Just thought I would say, The first few posts numbers look like haemoglobin (which in turn gives and idea of iron levels. The last post (Hopefullyamumma) number looks like actual iron level. A haemoglobin of 20 would be fatal. I went down to 102 and have been taking flurodix. It does make my already bad heartburn worse at times but is by far the most gentle way to take an iron supplement, plus it tastes 100 times better than the chemist brand iron liquid (was like drinking nails).
    I second this. Drs always refer to low iron no matter if its Haemoglobin or actual iron levels. Also Somme refer to it as 110, others 11.0 so it can be confusing. My HB is 97 but I always say 9.7, its to low so I'm on a high iron diet and meds and they'll recheck it in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be precise from my last post my ferratin was that low number which refers also in general to iron. He wants me to have a transfusion, as iron injections have not worked nor have the pills. But I really just dont like the idea of having another persona blood in my body. Id rather wait it out. My iron levels are certainly NOT by any medical definition as you put it fine lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Normal iron levels in pregnancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanite View Post
    To be precise from my last post my ferratin was that low number which refers also in general to iron. He wants me to have a transfusion, as iron injections have not worked nor have the pills. But I really just dont like the idea of having another persona blood in my body. Id rather wait it out. My iron levels are certainly NOT by any medical definition as you put it fine lol!
    An iron transfusion is just liquid iron
    It's a bag of black liquid they pump into you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Normal iron levels in pregnancy?

I'm booked in for an iron transfusion at the end of the month. I've had one before and I'm hoping it will give me some energy back.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzanite View Post
    My iron levels as of today were 6 (yes SIX), down from 9 and before pregnancy my average was 102.

Im just on a simple iron tablet to help. Im not stressed about it because I know these levels do fluctuate for all women, especially pregnant ones like may of us
    There are 2 different readings when looking at iron levels the blood iron level (haemoglobin) and the store Iron level (Ferritin) so when you refer to your result of 102 that would have been your haemoglobin level which should be between 60-170ng and when you say 6 or 9 that is your stored level (ferritin) which in a women is normally 12 but they like it to stay above 14 in pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was first tested at 6 weeks my iron levels were 68, and at 12 weeks down to 42... I was told it's not a worry until it is below 30....however I have started taking an iron supplement as doc said it certainly wouldn't hurt will be interested to see levels again next time I'm now 22 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all this info. Does anyone know how quickly I can increase my iron level naturally. I don't want to take tablets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    An iron transfusion is just liquid iron
    It's a bag of black liquid they pump into you.
    When I had mine it was a bag of really orange liquid (looked liked Irn Bru for those familiar with the Scottish drink). The only issue with them is they take a really long time. A few hours from what I remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Julierule View Post
    Thanks for all this info. Does anyone know how quickly I can increase my iron level naturally. I don't want to take tablets.
    Iron rich foods, such as red meat and leafy greens are your best source.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    When I had mine it was a bag of really orange liquid (looked liked Irn Bru for those familiar with the Scottish drink). The only issue with them is they take a really long time. A few hours from what I remember.
    There is a new one on the market - can be done in 20 min at the GP, I had one during my pregnancy with DS and felt it really improved my energy levels (had been taking tablets since 6 weeks, but levels still not improved at 26 weeks).