ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I pick my battles
    I'm the same, some days it's just not worth it. Like today T threw a good tanty over not wanting to get back in the pram at the chemist. I wasn't up for dealing with her throwing herself around on the floor. Just kept doing what I was with A.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is easier in the short term, but then when you have a selfish spoilt brat you will regret taking the easy road.
    I'm going through all this with my nearly 3 year old, and its hard, but I need to stand my ground and not give in, because there is no way I am having one of those children who expect but don't give.
    Mostly I pick my battles, but it really depends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    lil Bo peep. 3 year olds can be challenging and selfish whether you took the 'easy road' or not. good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

nothanksbye  (14-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessBeauty View Post
    lil Bo peep. 3 year olds can be challenging and selfish whether you took the 'easy road' or not. good luck
    Ugh tell me about it! Today alone she has spent time in time out because she does nothing but demand. Its only recent where I have realised that just giving in does nothing but make things worse.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    My discussion point is...Are we raising a generation of self-indulgent children who will get their own way all the time??? What effect will this have in the future?
    I think we are raising a generation who's want's and needs regardless of our views of the importance of them are acknowledged. Raising a generation of loved and respected kids who not only curb their behaviour for the benefit of all but have leaned WHY.. I can only see good resulting from that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe we are op!! I see some children today whom make their parents look like complete fools by taking charge of the situation with poor behave & the parents who for what could be several excuses not only give into it but support it. I do believe BUT...their headache not mine so fool on them!!

My son knows the boundaries...always has & will. I'm fun & laid back but their is a clear line between respect & disrespect in our house & poor behavior falls in the later category!! He is well rounded & bright in personatly...alway uses manners has bad days yes but our bad day has never been hell & tears.

I was never a kid person & am not entirely now unless their mine or fam so not 'every' kid is cute to me. A spades a spade just as a rotten kid is a rotten kid IMO

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueKisses View Post
    I believe we are op!! I see some children today whom make their parents look like complete fools by taking charge of the situation with poor behave & the parents who for what could be several excuses not only give into it but support it. I do believe BUT...their headache not mine so fool on them!!

My son knows the boundaries...always has & will. I'm fun & laid back but their is a clear line between respect & disrespect in our house & poor behavior falls in the later category!! He is well rounded & bright in personatly...alway uses manners has bad days yes but our bad day has never been hell & tears.

I was never a kid person & am not entirely now unless their mine or fam so not 'every' kid is cute to me. A spades a spade just as a rotten kid is a rotten kid IMO
    I agree absolutely! But i believe rotten kids and the parents fault and i try not to blame the child...but its hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I pick my battles and never make a threat that I can't/won't follow through with.

It's hard at times, we have dropped everything and walked out of shops after a few warnings, but I believe in sticking to what I have saĆ­d. (makes me stop and think rather than offer empty threats and still not achieve anything).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I find that in the long run, NOT letting DS just do whatever he wants makes him better behaved. If I were to just give in to all his requests/demands, he would be a spoilt little brat. It's clear boundaries that make him the (mostly) well behaved child that he is. He's not perfect by any means, but just like learning to walk and talk, so must he learn how to behave appropriately in society, so it's expected that he will fail from time to time as he learns.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (14-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    God I am hearing this a lot lately! I have many friends with 2 year olds and this seems to be the trend. I am often seen as a strict parent because I expect a certain standard of behaviour especially in public.

eg. tantrum cause they dont want to leave playground...ok 10 more minutes then
    eg. tantrum cause they want a new toy...ok i'll buy it then

DH and I have drawn a line in the sand for all behaviour....don't get me wrong he tries pushing boundaries everyday but he is pulled back into line. I try my best to be consistent and my DH is better at it than me.

My discussion point is...Are we raising a generation of self-indulgent children who will get their own way all the time??? What effect will this have in the future?
    Fantastic! It seems it's a rarity these days, seeing parents effectively disciplining their children. Parents often spoil & indulge their kids, until they become uncontrollable and they try and introduce discipline when it's too late.
    Last edited by AngelIz; 14-01-2011 at 17:54.