+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default is it ok to leave a hanky in the cot (8 months old)

HI

My DS uses a hanky (cotton) or small muslin cloth to go to sleep with. I usually take it out of the cot when I go to bed but I'm wondering if its safe to leave it there to help him him resettle himself during the night?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 8 months, I would have left something like that in my DS's cot. It's up to you though, and what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    how will he find it

how does he resettle now without it maybe easier to teach him to resettle himself without it rather than worry about it

but up to you no right or wrong answer like most things with babies do what works for you

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is now 7 months old and has always liked to pull a sheet or wrap over her face to fall asleep. Now that she is getting older though, rather than pull it over her face she cuddles into it. I don't see any problem with you giving your DS a muslin wrap, they are made of breathable fabric.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

lizzymcfizzy (14-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has had a *whole* muslin in his cot loose since he was unswaddled, as he likes that as his snuggle blankie... he is just fine with it in there, smooshes his face into it.. and helps him resettle through the night.

But if its only a hanky size... your bub might have trouble finding it himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalTheGal View Post
    My DS has had a *whole* muslin in his cot loose since he was unswaddled, as he likes that as his snuggle blankie... he is just fine with it in there, smooshes his face into it.. and helps him resettle through the night.

LOL...you'd be surprised!

My little sister was never without a "woobie" (what she called them!) as a baby/toddler, which is what she slept with. They were those tiny little flannels that are really thin and smaller than normal flannels/facewashers and come in pack of 6/10/12 etc.

She had many of them, and she didn't have to have a particular one, as long as she had one or 2 in her bed, she was happy!She would hold them in her hand or put them up next to her cheek.

Thanks
    Reviews

my one year old has a blankie like that. it's so cute to see him fast asleep snuggled up to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by overitand36 View Post
    how will he find it

how does he resettle now without it maybe easier to teach him to resettle himself without it rather than worry about it

but up to you no right or wrong answer like most things with babies do what works for you
    yeah good point, I don't want him relying on it, he still wakes for one feed a night which I am assuming is resettling him anyway so I'm not sure if he needs it or not.

He sleeps in a sleeping bag, or just pjs, and rolls all over the bed so its usually within reach

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    LOL...you'd be surprised!

My little sister was never without a "woobie" (what she called them!) as a baby/toddler, which is what she slept with. They were those tiny little flannels that are really thin and smaller than normal flannels/facewashers and come in pack of 6/10/12 etc.

She had many of them, and she didn't have to have a particular one, as long as she had one or 2 in her bed, she was happy!She would hold them in her hand or put them up next to her cheek.
    haha thats so cute. I was using little muslin squares but lost them and in a hurry one night thought daddy's hankies were about the same size and lightweight. I did consider those little flannels I guess there isn't much difference