+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help please How do I get this kid to sleep I don't wanna control cry

Hi guys my sons 6 months and wont sleep any more I'n his cot we cosleep mostly but normally I can get him to go to bed around 7-8 I'n his cot and transfer him later. Well il get him to sleep but as soon as I put him I'n his cot he wakes up. Sooo frustrating because I can't do any thing and I just started a weight loss challenge and want to work out on the cross trainer and just some me time. I'm a single mummy with pnd and I'm feeling desperate to have a break. Help any tips I really want to avoid control crying but I'm scared that will be the choice soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Help anyone...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What sort of settling techniques do you use?

I find the best one that works for me is flipping him onto his tummy and patting his back while shooshing him. Usually that gets him off to sleep for me. Otherwise I rub him, sing to him (poor thing! lol) and if he is in his bassinette I rock him. Do you have a stereo you could put on in his room? Or one of those toys that attaches to the cot and projects a nice gentle image on the roof while playing lullabys?

Pretty much anything that stops you from picking him up to settle him. I do CC, but not this young (DS is 6 weeks) so yep thats really all I can suggest sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    What wakes him? Is it the movement of being transferred? The cool sheet on the back of his head? Wind? Do you feed him to sleep? Do you hold him upright for a while after feeding? So many things I could suggest but it depends on specifically whAt is happening. Have you read any books on sleep? I've just looked at the exerps (sp?) from "no cry sleep solution" and have had success with sounds. I use beach/ waves sound that's on my monitor but music should work as well

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we have sleepy toys which play music and have soothing lights. that helps DD self settle on her own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep at six months I had a fair bit of success with one of those projecting image/lullaby things he really enjoyed it. I always had trouble getting ds to stay asleep once I had put him down and I always enjoyed my quiet alone time in the evening too. Another thing was patting him gently in his cot or rocking him. I know its a pain in the *** at this age

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might put some worship music on or invest I'n the light thinger, he just seems to wake so easily it's so frustrating. If I put him on his back he tries to push up and move around he fights me so much. Il try the music or sounds I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is he wrapped? There was no way DD could settle without being wrapped and a dummy in her mouth - we had to wrap her until she was 7 months old. Before then, the smallest movement would set her off like anything! I still also feed her to sleep in the middle of the night, and she's a year old now. It's the only thing that works right now.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hs he just started doing this? or has it been an on going problem? Do you wrap your DS?

I ask because DD (just turned 7 months) started doing this about 3 weeks ago. She was a terrible sleeper when born, persistence turned her into a great sleeper (could put her in her cot wide awake and shed be out like a light without a peep in 5 mins)..

NOW.. I get screams everytime I place her in her cot. EVERYTIME. I had no flippin idea what happened to her (they say everything changes at 6 months)

First thing I did was unwrapp her. She seemed to be really fighting it and getting angry.

2nd thing I did was what Iv always done. Put her in her cot. tuck her in (shes screaming by this point) stand by the cot, patting her chest and singing her lulabyes, when she starts having a big fit or when I cant stand the crying anymore I pick her up and rock her till she calms and starts closing her eyes, then put her back down. 3 weeks ago I think I repeated this over and over again for an hour before she finally went to sleep. Now, I only have to pick her up and rock her once then off to sleep when I put her back down.

I dont know if this is any help to you. Hope it is. In my experience persistance and being consistent lets baby know they can carry on however they like but at the end of the day their still going to bed. and therefore they dont fight it for so long. Seems to have worked on DD anyway. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think some bubs just really dislike their cots, my dd does too and there doesnt seem much i can do about it ( we only use gentle methods, no cc). Something that has worked for me is to put the cot mattress on the floor in a safe room and lay with her for five mins once she is asleep. This seems to stop the crying as soon as she is put down and she will usually stay assleep there until i bring her to bed with me. If she does wake up i just go and lay down with her for another few minutes, much better imo than leaning over the cottrying to resettle.

Hugs, i know it is hard but i promise it gets better. My dd is nine months old, she does not self settle but now feeding her to sleep takes ten minutes at night, then she only stirs briefly when i come to bed and then sleep until morning (cosleeps)