ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i don't think they are comparable for many of the reasons that has been stated here.

i had a failed epi during my C'section and felt being cut through four layers of my skin/muscle etc. i can say at that moment, as selfish as this sounds, i did not think of my baby. not once, i thought i was going to die. and i begged them to put me to sleep.

as it turns out, i woke up without pain relief as well. pure agony. and i begged for help just as id done when my son was still inside me.

i don't think u can compare that situation, to me activiely choosing to drink whilst pregnant (which i didn't)

this thread is quite awful.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never put much thought at all into my choice not to drink alcohol during pregnancy, it wsa just something that I felt was best avoided, and a very easy thing to let go of.

Similarly, I was very set on my decision not to have pain relief in labour, or to take any medication while pregnant. I did plenty of research which backed up my decision that I would avoid all pain relief, in a normal labour. Unfortunately, I did not have a normal labour so my choice not to have drugs was taken away from me, in favour of delivering a healthy baby. I also avoid pain medication while breastfeeding and it was with a very heavy heart that I had local aneasthetic injected into my breast while breastfeeding.

So to answer your question, yes, I put plenty of thought and research into it, but I still feel quite offended by the question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Why is it when anyone comments about posts or threads they find upsetting/confrontational the ol' "you just feel guilty,you're just trying to justify things to yourself" is thrown in? I see it alot in the bfing vs ffing threads and I find it conveiniently shifts blame onto those that feel judged by the person judging.
    Agreed!

I know it's off topic, but I constantly justify that I'm still breast feeding, not because I feel guilty, but because I KNOW people are judging my decision (ever so politely... Some times less so....) so I defend myself!

I know it's off topic example, but yeah, just because someone defends or justifies themselves doesn't mean they feel guilty. I think it's because they are just used to having to defend themselves.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 01-01-2011 at 22:18.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    This thread has been cleaned and will be reopened on the proviso the question of the OP is what is discussed.

For what it's worth i believe the OP intended to discuss the fact that most people are informed of the risks of taking alcohol during pregnancy and the affect it can have on the baby, yet will agree to taking pain killers (drugs) during childbirth without really knowing that it can have an affect on the baby.

I honestly can see that from my own experience and plenty of friends and women on here we are not as informed about the potential risks drugs can have on our children or on us while labouring. I know that having two very different birth experiences one being at hospital and one being at home, i know the difference for myself, was being educated about the risks you do take when consenting to the drugs and i was actually quite mad at my care providers for not properly explaining the risks and when i researched after the birth was so horrendous i knew id be safer at home the second time round. I believe the drugs in my first birth caused many problems that led to birth trauma and post traumatic stress and anxiety which then turned into PND so my birth had a direct affect on my bond with DS etc. It wasn't until finding out later that the drugs had a significant part in the whole process i very much wanted to avoid a repeat traumatic experience.

So my point of view from the OP was that it wasn't a judgement of those that do but perhaps that we are more informed of the risks of taking alcohol while pregnant, but not necessarily as informed of the risks of drugs during labour and whether there needs to be more education and information from our care providers? That's how i see it anyways, and since reading a great book by Dr Sarah Buckley who i'd recommend to anyone, it does detail the risks and the implications consenting to drugs during labour which i wish i had of read before i rocked up to hospy with DS1 thinking it'd just all go smoothly and trusting my care providers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not believe the ops question was judgemental or unfair or ridiculous as people have said. Its a legitimate question I feel. The difference I believe between alcohol in pregnancy and drugs in labour is that the intention is completely different. Alcohol is a recreational thing usually but drugs in labour are not. However they are both drugs and can both impact on the baby so in that way they are comparable. Like I said earlier and have said before I do not judge anyone who drinks in pregnancy occasionally or who uses drugs in labour as I believe most people are intelligent enough to make decisions they believe are best for them and their baby and unless someone is intentionally neglectful or harmful I would never assume to know better than them or make judgements about how much they value their child

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

V8  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When pregnant with DD, I drank/smoked/ingested other drugs/ate pretty much everything on the "no no" list. I had a drug free birth. Not by choice, it was just simply too late for anything Worst. Pain. Ever.

When pregnant with DS, I didn't touch a drop of alcohol and was very careful about what I ate. I had an elective CS which of course involved drugs before, during and after the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I havnt read the whole thread but I have to say no I didn't put as much thought into taking drugs in labor and drinking alcohol whilst pregnant.

I chose not to drink due to education on the effect of alcohol on a baby in utero, I also didn't eat soft cheeses, soft serves and many other foods on the no no list.

I went into labor with an open mind but not fully informed on the effects the drugs would have on my DS. After letting the midwife break my waters(wich half an hour earlier I said I wasn't going to let it happen) my labor spiraled out of control with no break in between contractions and I was begging for anything that would give me a moment to rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Drinking is much worse than the drugs, seeing as they offer the drugs and discorouge alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Labour with Dd I had a few sucks of gas and that was it. More to calm my nerves as I delivered VB breech at 28+5 weeks.

I was planning drug free with DS last year but he was posterior and my back took all the pain and I had suffered enough back pain during the pregnancy. I had an epidural with him.

Next pregnancy/birth I want to try drug free and water birth (was my plan with DS till I became high risk and wasn't allowed a water birth).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell87 View Post
    Drinking is much worse than the drugs, seeing as they offer the drugs and discorouge alcohol.
    I don't think anyone would discourage a glass on wine in labour lol but it would hardly take the edge off compared to pethidene

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast