View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't drink during my first pregnancy (and haven't/won't this one either) but I had every drug on offer during my labour. I don't get why people are offended at the question? It's a reasonable question imo and I'm not feeling any holier than thou attitude at all?! It was my choice to have drugs whilst in labour, I'm really annoyed at myself that I did too as I had planned and hoped not to, but I did and I regret it everyday. My son and myself were both affected by them, not dramatically and not long lasting, but enough for me to be kicking myself now. I blame me having drugs on incredibly bad support during labour and an intervention-happy OB, but it was also essentially MY choice and not one I'm ever going to try and make myself feel better about. It is one of the main reasons I have decided a completely different route/care provider this time and I'm going into this birth with a completely different attitude and armed with a lot more information and research.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to em1984 For This Useful Post:

meatpopsicle  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd have *a sip* of beer when I was pregnant... I don't even like beer, but it seemed irresistable while I was pregnant. So a single sip if I was out at dinner and the ex was having one. I don't really class that as drinking though.

As for labour... I didn't experience labour.

I had a caesarean, and of course that was riddled with drugs.

I didn't want a caesarean though, and had no real plans to have much more than gas in labour. I did not want an epidural, nor a shot of pethadine.

With any future babies, I will continue to not drink during pregnancy and will have a homebirth... meaning no drugs by default. If I do need to go to hospital though, I will again opt for no drugs, as I feel it's the best way to ensure I have a VBAC.

My choice has very little to do with the use of using drugs while a baby is still in my body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't drink during pregnancy (I don't drink at all even when not UTD), but I did have a Spinal Tap for my c-section.

Lol, I don't think abdominal surgery without pain control would be a good idea.

In saying that, I did plan on being open to 'drugs' to help me cope with labour pain, if I got to have the desired VB.

Why pain relief and not alcohol? The main reason for not drinking through pregnancy is the effect it has on the development of the baby, by the time baby arrives it has developed its essential organs and pain relief is unlikely to leave permanent health issues for the child.

I could never compare the two as they are apples and oranges, one is for medical care, the other for social recreation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

SomewhereOverTheRainbow  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyThreeCubs View Post
    I have to say this is one of the most ludicrous threads I've seen in a while.
    I agree! Threads like this remind me why I haven't been here in a long time..

For the record, I'm a little from column A and a little from column B. I didn't drink/smoke in any of my pregnancies.
    My first baby I was 19, scared and very very tense. I had pethidine and gas, personally I didn't find they helped me pain-wise much, but they did relax me and my birth progressed well.

Second labour I was 26, did Calmbirthing and had a lovely experience, with no drugs. It was a much nicer experience...I don't think I'm a super-hero though...plenty of women give birth everywhere in the world without drugs, and plenty with drugs. Really, who cares? Both my babies were healthy and that is all that matters.

Having said that, these are 2 very very different times in my life and I don't think the 2 can be compared.

As others have said, pain relief in labour is often needed! If the mother is anxious or not coping with the pain, some pethidine/morphine will often help her relax which will help her labour progress. Yes, I realise that in many cases drugs can slow labour down but they can speed it up too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandbump View Post
    Its not just women who are at fault here though, when was the last time you saw a midwife or OB reminding a woman of the risks involved with an epi? But the same midwife or OB wouldn't blink before telling the same woman not to drink/smoke/eat a ham sandwich.
    Uhh... really? I had to sign pieces of paper saying I'd been informed of the potential consequences of my spinal tap.

I always found it funny how they don't make you sign pieces of paper describing the potential consequences of a VB.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a previous poster just said, i too had to sign a form stating i was informed of the risks associated with a spinal...
    I didn't drink any alcohol during pregnancy because of the risks to the development of my unborn child. That is what I personally call a really high unknown risk.
    I had an emergency elective c-section and had a spinal so had drugs, but I would have anyway. I was in a hospital where
    both myself and my child would have been monitored and any ill effects caused by drugs mediated. This is to me is a managed low risk.
    If I ever have another child i know I will feel the same way.
    Last edited by kezanazz; 01-01-2011 at 22:55.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
    I love all this discussion about 'I chose not to have drugs, but it's your choice if you want to...'
    You think your drug-free labour was your choice?? You think the rest of us sat there at 30 weeks and made an informed decision to break out the pethadine? Sorry. That is completely 'holier than thou' and naive as well.

If those of you who were lucky enough to be blessed with a natural high pain tolerance (and you did nothing special to achieve this) plus an uncomplicated labour were not so lucky, how do you know you still would have had a drug-free labour? If you had a breech baby or a non-progressing labour, how do you know you would have been given the choice?

You can only sit there and pretend that a drug-free labour is as much a choice as sitting around on the couch with a glass of wine because you were lucky. Those of us not so lucky find the comparison both ludicrous and insulting.
    I disagree with it all coming down to luck and blessings. A lot more contributes to whether you have a drug free birth or not. But all this talk and comparison of pain in labour is not what this thread is about....

Did you take any drugs during labor?

If so, did you think about the risks involved as much as you did when you were considering whether consuming alcohol was a good idea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like alot of others, i dont see the comparison between the two.

but to answer your question, I have not had a drop of alcohol in both pregnancies... my DDs birth was drug free, and im hoping to do the same in the coming weeks with our DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah, bubhub! All threads regarding birth choices go the same way...defense is the best offense it seems.
    Women are different. Every birth is different. A hubber saying that they did xyz is not attacking the hubbers that did xyz, they are offering their experience about their own situation.

Heck yes I had a bevy if I felt like it, I also had drugs during my first birth. I was shamefully uninformed about birth, and believed my care providers would care for me. They didn't.

Every woman needs to evaluate their own risk factors. IMHO/JMO/Whatevs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh I agree elleandbump. It's crazy. I was given 'the talk' by a middie for eating a subway sub woops !

But after everything they'd given me she started telling me if I needed a rest or a sleep she could get me an epidural and I could lay down and have a nap. After so many hours in labour thats a pretty seductive offer!

I declined. I'm sure she brought it up more than once.

But I knew that if I had an epidural I'd have a csection.

Not that it matter. Jasper was breech anyway and it was all for nothing.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast