ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this is something important that should be discussed, burying our heads in the sand and assuming women know the risks of drugs in labor is not helping anyone. A lot of women do go into labor thinking the hospital has their best interests at heart, only to fall victim to the cascade of intervention when they are offered pain relief and not fully informed of the risks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think thermo has said anything about dictating women's births. But there have been a few posts 'I had broken XYZ and I coped', as if 'I had it way worse than you and I still didn't have drugs'.

I should add too every birth is different. One of my friends has fast posterior births and she says they are excuriatingly painful. Others have vertex easier births that progress not too fast or slow and their bodies handle it better.

It's impossible to say my birth was worse than yours and I still didn't have drugs. It'slike comparing apples and oranges.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (01-01-2011),LoveLivesHere  (01-01-2011),Lucy in the Sky  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't touch either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didnt drink nor did i have drugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It's impossible to say my birth was worse than yours and I still didn't have drugs. It'slike comparing apples and oranges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Its not just women who are at fault here though, when was the last time you saw a midwife or OB reminding a woman of the risks involved with an epi? But the same midwife or OB wouldn't blink before telling the same woman not to drink/smoke/eat a ham sandwich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont drink during pregnancy but then again i dont drink much anyways so it is no big deal for me not to.

I had an epi with DD1, i found it really numbed the feeling of the knife being put through my abdomen....worked a treat i tell you
    DD2 i went with the spinal and golly be gosh that was just as good as the epi
    Last edited by SorenLorensen; 01-01-2011 at 22:18.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SorenLorensen For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-01-2011),SomewhereOverTheRainbow  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love all this discussion about 'I chose not to have drugs, but it's your choice if you want to...'
    You think your drug-free labour was your choice?? You think the rest of us sat there at 30 weeks and made an informed decision to break out the pethadine? Sorry. That is completely 'holier than thou' and naive as well.

If those of you who were lucky enough to be blessed with a natural high pain tolerance (and you did nothing special to achieve this) plus an uncomplicated labour were not so lucky, how do you know you still would have had a drug-free labour? If you had a breech baby or a non-progressing labour, how do you know you would have been given the choice?

You can only sit there and pretend that a drug-free labour is as much a choice as sitting around on the couch with a glass of wine because you were lucky. Those of us not so lucky find the comparison both ludicrous and insulting.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

scout02  (03-01-2011),SomewhereOverTheRainbow  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SorenLorensen View Post
    I didnt drink during pregnancy but then again i dont drink much anyways so it was no big deal for me.

I had an epi with DD1, i found it really numbed the feeling of the knife being put through my abdomen....worked a treat i tell you
    DD2 i went with the spinal and golly be gosh that was just as good as the epi

GOLD!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have nurtured both of my babies, inside of my body and out, I would never do anything to put them at risk and have made the best decisions for them at every step. So Yes when I got past 42 weeks with not a single sign of impending labour I had a 'drug' to induce me and another 'drug' to anesthetise my body so my babies could be safely brought earthside. Yes I would have loved to have had a 'natural birth' and had prepared myself for a drug free labour but in the end it wasn't all about me it was about my babies. I wasn't prepared to put them at risk for my 'ideal' birth and made the best decisions for them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Mrs Nietzsche  (01-01-2011)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast