View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't drink when I knew I was pregnant (but had 2glasses of wine at my nans funeral, 4 days after ovulation) and had no drugs during labour (21hrs active labour. but 3 days of prelabour, uterine inversion, episiotomy and 4th degree tears, forwards, backward and sideways, massive blood loss and maternal ressussatation)
    after birth I took iv morphine once (but didn't bf that day as I was in icu after bleeding to death, and due to the blood loss my colostrum stopped until day 3) and oral codiene once, back on ward (couldnt sleep and was in a great deal of pain).
    if I have my way, I won't be having anything next time either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had drugs...I wouldn't have survived being cut in half otherwise.

Gee..this is just another one of those "in a perfect world/I shall judge and define you entirely by my own experiences" threads.

I look at it this way (for any woman who had drugs, or didn't have any drugs), they have drugs in hospitals, they don't have bars.

Trisha..Your birth sounds similar to my besties'. I think she had to have 381 stitches to put her back together, and all without pain relief. That, in my mind, is just cruel. They wouldn't do that to ordinary human beings in ordinary situations, but birthing women are meant to be superheros who can withstand any treatment imaginable. And all with gratitude.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Lucy in the Sky  (01-01-2011),Señor Chang  (01-01-2011),SomewhereOverTheRainbow  (01-01-2011),TimTamsandTea  (01-01-2011),trishalishous  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok in one instance I think they can be compared: for example if you get a mum who decides to totally abstain from alcohol her whole pregnancy but even before labour arrives, and not knowing what it will be like, decides she will take all the drugs she can. Now that wouldn't be logical would it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Did you take any drugs during labor?

If so, did you think about the risks involved as much as you did when you were considering whether consuming alcohol was a good idea?

Thoughts?

Just curious with all these alcohol threads going around and all, it always makes me wonder. I find it a bit odd that some people avoid everything like the plague when UTD but then take drugs when in labor.
    Isn't this the main point of the thread?? Can't anything be discussed without people feeling judged?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know the risks of the drugs I will need during my sons birth but without a general for my csection I have a high chance of bleeding to death, and a natural birth is out of the question.

I guess it's a risk v benefit decision. I get nothing out of drinking except a buzz and it tastes nice, drugs in labour will save our lives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the point of this thread was to get judgy on anyone but people sure are taking it that way! I really doubt Thermolicious intended to have a go at anyone who has accepted pain relief during labour.

I see A's Mummy's point that the decision not to drink during pregnancy is made when you're in a more rational frame of mind than while experiencing labour pain. But I think Thermolicious was asking about people who choose not to drink while pregnant but also make the decision before going into labour that they'll have an epi/gas/peth/whatever to cope with the pain, considering the risks to the baby in BOTH situations.

No judgment though - at least not that I could see!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was going to attempt the reverse of that concept. I did have the occasional glass (well half glass) of wine while pregnant, but wanted a drug free labour.

Epic fail.

You wanna try declining drugs for days while being offered them over and over. I was told I wouldn't be offered drugs, but I could have anything if I asked. I was badgered into take sleeping pills, panadene, gas, the middie had started 'operation convinced me to have an epidural'

I wound up having a csection anyway, so got plenty of pain killers after wards.

Id read 'ima Mays guide to childbirth' cover to cover over and over during my pregnancy.

I just stupidly from reading that book assumed all midwives would be kind and understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't see how the two are comparable, if I'm in pain (and have never been in as much pain as when I was in labour) I tend to take pain relief.

I didn't drink even a drop of alcohol during my pregnancy, nor did I eat cold meats nor did I wear cosmetics containing vitamin A.

But I took a darn lot of painkillers during labour and I'm not apologetic for it at all. When I fractured my coxyc bone I didn't give a damn about any 'risks' I just wanted the immense pain to stop.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-01-2011),TimTamsandTea  (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't Bubhub a place to think out aloud? To bounce ideas around? To refine ideas about certain things? I thought so???

I don't get how the OP is being judgemental?! She is simply doing ALL of the above. NOTHING wrong with that IMO!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't see how you can compare drinking alcohol while pregnant (which i think it would be near impossible to find a doctor who would recommend drinking alcohol while pregnant) to taking pain relief recommended for you from medical professionals (who i find most a over careful because of being afraid of being sued if something goes wrong)

In my opinion you cant even begin to compare the two........ pain relief is there for you if you feel you need it, alcohol is recreational, i highly doubt women in labour are taking pain relief for a bit of fun

15. The Following User Says Thank You to scout02 For This Useful Post:

Lucy in the Sky  (01-01-2011)