View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrycreams View Post
    Pain relief during labour and birth isn't usually something someone chooses based on pleasure and enjoyment.
    But don't they choose it to reduce/eliminate pain thus they are choosing it for their own personal gain? Yet they don't drink during pregnancy, why? Because it's whats best for the baby...but IMO that concept is forgotten about when they choose to take drugs during labor.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didnt drink alchohol, whole pregnant or use recreational drugs, or smoke etc, but in later pregenancy 22 weeks when I went into labour, I was given drugs to stop the labour it thankfuly worked after a few more attempts of labour i was then on medication in hospital for the remained of my pregnancy to essentialy slow down progresion of the birth, I then had her at 35 weeks via a c section with a spinal block which didnt work then i was given a epidural,

Do I see that the same as useing recreational drugs, No I dont, the reason being is I was having them in order to try and stay pregnent as long as possible and then to have a C section which was the obnly way that my DD was going to be born safely.

Since birth she has had many GAs, she has spent months on morphine, and phentanol, years on diazapan, but Like I dont alike useing recreational drugs and drinking in pregnency to drugs during child birth I also dont liken the use of medical needed drugs used in peadiatric medicine to recreational use of drugs for children, One I condone whole heartedly there is a need for medicines used in peadiatric hospitals just like there may be a need for drugs during labour there is not a need for recreational drugs or alchohol during pregenncy, I dont think badly of those who have the odd drink while preggy either.

I dont how ever think we can totaly veiw them as both the same, It would be the same as veiwing the use of narcotics in a hospital setting post operatively as someone useing it recreationaly in the street they are two differnt things.

So yer I dont assosiate the two and dont think bad of any one who does either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    But don't they choose it to reduce/eliminate pain thus they are choosing it for their own personal gain? Yet they don't drink during pregnancy, why? Because it's whats best for the baby...but IMO that concept is forgotten about when they choose to take drugs during labor.
    But isn't there an element of how the Mother is coping/feeling during labour and birth that directly impacts on the baby? So if a Mother is not coping with the pain in labour is there a possibility of the baby being effected in a negative way? Not sure but I just assumed?

I just don't get how the two can honestly be compared. I think that it's easy to say "I won't drink while I'm pregnant" but in the moment of labour and birth I don't think it's easy to say "I'm not having ANY pain relief/drugs".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I avoided alcohol because it made me sick, nothing to do with health.
    The smell made me vomit, which is odd because I loved a few glasses of wine before being pregnant.

Also even if I could have drunk alcohol I would have choosen not to as I'm not a one glass of wine kinda chick.

I took drugs during labour, I researched my **** off and made a decision, I knew the risks and the outcomes which all happened.

But that's cool it was my choice.

I trusted my doctor who was brilliant, I trusted that he said my baby was going to be fine and it will be out of his system before I know it and I trusted him when he told me that I could have a epi the second I got to the hospital because his main concern was making sure I was calm and comfortbale so I didn't end up as traumatized as I did with my first birth where I could even sleep for weeks after.

Anyway I screamed for drugs when the pain got bad and got them.

Should I feel guilty? Cause the only time I do is when I come on here.

Funny that.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-01-2011),SomewhereOverTheRainbow  (01-01-2011),TimTamsandTea  (01-01-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo9 View Post
    i think they cant be compared to each other.

some people cant take the pain when in labour and because of complications some who wouldnt do need to.

your talking about an extremely painful thing (childbirth) and alcohol during pregnancy which is not needed to help aid pregnancy as pain relief does during labor.
    But pain relief is known to increase risks during labor (see cascade of intervention for a start), yes it helps some woman to cope, I do agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisa21 View Post
    I dont think the difference isthe affect on the baby more the fact that it's a lot more understandable that when a woman is in significant pain she'll want to stop that pain.

I chose no drugs because I didn't want it to affect my baby. However having a wine 2-3 nights a week is a lot easier to not do IMO than not take drugs during labour. Does that make sense?? I've been in early labour since 7:30am yesterday I'm not in a great mindset lol.
    You do make sense, and thanks for taking the time to reply! I sure wanted to stop the pain I was in with DS2 so I totally get where your coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Can you define what you mean by drugs?

I had panadol and panadiene for headaches. I also had coffee and 3 glasses of wine over 3 days whilst on holiday and I didn't know I was pregnant.

I had gas when I was at about 9cm with DD and syntocin afterwards to stop severe PPH (and it most likely saved my life). After that I had a plethora of drugs administered to me to manage the severe PPH (I lost nearly half my blood supply) of which I was all very grateful for.
    Sure, I'm talking about the classic pain relief drugs- the ones used for induction, gas, morphine, pethadine and epidurals, the ones used for pain relief mainly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have alcohol or pain killers during my pregnancy but did during labour (not alcohol of course Lol).

If I did not take pain killers I doubt my son would have been born. 17 hours of labour, 6 at home with shaking during each contraction for hours 4 to 6 without any pain killers. The shaking stopped once I had pain killers at hospital. Also shoulder dystocia, vac extraction and episiotomy without drugs would be rather nasty.

Drinking for pleasure when pregnant can in no way be compared to pain relief during labour. Full stop. Not everyone gets an easy, moderately painful, complication free labour.
    Last edited by Amara; 01-01-2011 at 19:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrycreams View Post
    But isn't there an element of how the Mother is coping/feeling during labour and birth that directly impacts on the baby? So if a Mother is not coping with the pain in labour is there a possibility of the baby being effected in a negative way? Not sure but I just assumed? I'd say so, def yes!

I just don't get how the two can honestly be compared. I think that it's easy to say "I won't drink while I'm pregnant" but in the moment of labour and birth I don't think it's easy to say "I'm not having ANY pain relief/drugs". No it's not easy, I did struggle quiet a bit during DS2s birth, it was a lot more painful than DS1s birth. I did want drugs at one stage and I knew I probably would, part of the reason I'm glad I stayed home is that it was that much harder for me to get them
    Quote Originally Posted by Anushka View Post
    Yes I avoided alcohol because it made me sick, nothing to do with health.
    The smell made me vomit, which is odd because I loved a few glasses of wine before being pregnant.

Also even if I could have drunk alcohol I would have choosen not to as I'm not a one glass of wine kinda chick.

I took drugs during labour, I researched my **** off and made a decision, I knew the risks and the outcomes which all happened.

But that's cool it was my choice.

I trusted my doctor who was brilliant, I trusted that he said my baby was going to be fine and it will be out of his system before I know it and I trusted him when he told me that I could have a epi the second I got to the hospital because his main concern was making sure I was calm and comfortbale so I didn't end up as traumatized as I did with my first birth where I could even sleep for weeks after.

Anyway I screamed for drugs when the pain got bad and got them.

Should I feel guilty? Cause the only time I do is when I come on here.

Funny that.
    No I don't think you should feel guilty, that wasn't the purpose of this thread I clearly stated that I was curious as to why women did, that's all and someone in another thread mentioned that they had never thought about it.

Each to their own, I don't care either way

MamaKoala is offline Happy Mummy of 2 Big Boys and a Baby Girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a couple of glasses of wine when I was pg with ds1. And I had an epi. I chose drug free births for ds2 and dd and didn't drink with either.
    I think the difference with drinking alcohol during your pg and taking pain relief is that drinking can interfere with the development with the fetus and cause fas. While there are some effects from taking pain mess during birth, there is no research to positively identify any long term developmental problems when taking pethadine, gas or epi. Yes there are suggestions that they can cause baby distress, feeding problems etc but nothing that can prove that there are long term effects.
    I choose drug free births because I don't want to effect the baby during or after labour but also because I felt drugs inhibited my first birth by making my pushing stage too long. 1.5 hours of pushing with my first and 5-10 minutes with my second and third.
    That is my personal reason and I do not pass judgment on those who feel they need drugs to cope with labour. Everyone is different and so is their labour and it isn't my plave to judge.
    I Dont like knowing people drink during pg because I know better than I did with my first and I think it is an unnecessary risk to their baby.
    But again, everyone is different and makes their own choice about their body and baby

Please excuse grammar and spelling Im on my phone..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other.

With my daughter, I opened a bottle of west coast, but felt too guilty to finish it. I was induced with her, but my waters had broken and was having very slight contractins, so she was ready to come. I had gas and pethidine, but neither worked. I had read about how drugs could affect her, but I was in so much pain and screaming for an epidural (no time left for one though and I am glad of that now) and she was bon 40 minutes later. Despite this, I realy enjoyed my birthing experience with my daughter.

With my son, I didn't touch a drop of alcohol and I wanted a drug-free birth, but not because of how the drugs would've affected him, it's just because it was the birth I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The two cannot possibly be compared, and it is completely unfair to even begin to compare them IMO. A pregnant woman's decision to not consume alcohol/drugs during her pregnancy is a decision made by a woman in a rational, calm mindset. A labouring woman's decision to use a form of pain relief during her labour is made in a time that is not calm (usually) and at a time that she is not thinking rationally.

For what its worth, although it really is besides the point, I did not drink once during my pregnancy. As for my labour, I laboured for 2 days at home until going into hospital where I laboured for a further 12 hours. I was then introduced to an OB who sat with me, and explained to me that he believed that based on my daughter's dipping HR and the length of my labour, that starting a syntocin drip was the next step in my labour. I never wanted drugs, I knew the risks. I discussed with him the risks. I weighed the risks of exposing my child to syntocin to the risks of what would happen if I refused it. I knew all about the cascade of intervention. I chose to allow my OB to start syntocin. I then accepted gas which I used for one hour. I then continued labouring drug free until DD was born. My daughter was born posterior. I had an episiotomy to allow my OB to use the ventouse as her HR plummeted as she was crowning.

I was lucky enough to be able to think rationally enough to make an informed and smart decision regarding using drugs in my labour. Many women are not so fortunate, and no offence, but this thread is coming across as a little condecending. I know you didn't mean for that though! I don't know of many women who wouldn't love to give birth with no pain relief, but this thread is comparing those women who choose to use pain relief during labour to those women who decide to expose their unborn child to alcohol or drugs.

Anyway, thats my opinion! Sorry to waffle on!
    Last edited by sunandstars17; 02-01-2011 at 10:27.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunandstars17 For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-01-2011),ComeBackKid  (01-01-2011),Lucy in the Sky  (01-01-2011)