ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

    36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

    32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 162
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Spunkeemonkee there is no point trying to make you understand what I'm saying, because your completely ignoring everything people are saying and in some cases denying it, you can re word something but it's still saying the same thing, and just because your not directly saying something, its what your implying.
    You've also clearly stated yes you took drugs, you were uninformed and regret your decision and this is why I think you are being judgemental because your not on par with women who aren't regretful and are infact informed.
    Secondly your saying 'I'm simply saying both have risks' No, your not simply saying this. If you think its a fair comparison and want the risks of drugs in labour out there (as per your statement of intention) tell us what are the risks to the baby of drugs in labour and what are the risks of drinking to the baby during pregnancy? And how do they relate to each other. In conclusion I think in doing so you will find the comparison so vastly different that standing by a 'fair comparison' comment will no longer stand.
    So please, inform us.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,666
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked
    1,611
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I know your not, it would seem a lot of posts have been edited so I can't comment on those.

    Seriously though, I thought ? meant "question"
    It does. But that doesn't change the meaning of the words before it.

    When you say 'I find it a bit odd that some people avoid everything like the plague when UTD but then take drugs when in labor.' which is in your very first post, well that's an opinion and not a question, and simply does not show an intent not to be inflammatory.

  3. #143
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,950
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Spunkeemonkee there is no point trying to make you understand what I'm saying, because your completely ignoring everything people are saying and in some cases denying it, you can re word something but it's still saying the same thing, and just because your not directly saying something, its what your implying.
    You've also clearly stated yes you took drugs, you were uninformed and regret your decision and this is why I think you are being judgemental because your not on par with women who aren't regretful and are infact informed.
    Secondly your saying 'I'm simply saying both have risks' No, your not simply saying this. If you think its a fair comparison and want the risks of drugs in labour out there (as per your statement of intention) tell us what are the risks to the baby of drugs in labour and what are the risks of drinking to the baby during pregnancy? And how do they relate to each other. In conclusion I think in doing so you will find the comparison so vastly different that standing by a 'fair comparison' comment will no longer stand.
    So please, inform us.
    I don't think SM was trying to say the risks are the same, just that they both carry risks.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,833
    Thanks
    1,192
    Thanked
    974
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am absolutely appalled at the language in this thread (and coming from both sides), about women "giving in", "not being strong enough", etc etc when using pain relief during labour.

    Grow up people! We do not live in the middle ages. Women's bodies are not chatels and goods. These are real, breathing living humans that we are talking about who should recieve support for the decisions they make about their bodies.

    I sense a lot of frustration from people who did not get the ideal birth, and how they would have done things differently for them. That is wonderful that you have had that experience, and now have a solid plan in place. Bravo..more power to you. But that does not mean that your experience can identify to every woman.

    You have no idea of individual circumstances. We could be facing an absolute future nightmare of necessary medical intervention...a lot of women have gestational diabetes and are birthing larger babies. A family member had to have a c-section due to an STD. Simple matters like this are on the rise, so you will never know the story behind the individual birthing process. Women are just not tied into beds and left to it any more. OBs and midwives are aware of a variety of problems, and things are treated differently according to different needs. Of course they never get it right every time, and there is always room for improvement, but it is a very unpredictable process, and resources are stretched.

    What ever happened to the sisterhood? Women will complain that they are unsupported, that the community spirit has broken down. Well no wonder, when we are all so busy castigating each other at every given opportunity.

  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

    c38  (02-01-2011),delirium  (02-01-2011),Midwife & Mum to 3  (02-01-2011),mimsie  (02-01-2011),Witchypoo  (02-01-2011)

  6. #145
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,950
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    It does. But that doesn't change the meaning of the words before it.

    When you say 'I find it a bit odd that some people avoid everything like the plague when UTD but then take drugs when in labor.' which is in your very first post, well that's an opinion and not a question, and simply does not show an intent not to be inflammatory.
    Of course it's an opinion! It's my thoughts of what I was asking it doesn't change my original question, there was no ? after that comment. I just thought it was ok to mention why I was curious, my mistake.

  7. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,062
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Of course it's an opinion! It's my thoughts of what I was asking it doesn't change my original question, there was no ? after that comment. I just thought it was ok to mention why I was curious, my mistake.
    People can respond to your question only and NOT your opinion?

  8. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I don't think SM was trying to say the risks are the same, just that they both carry risks.
    Actually she has been saying throughout that they are a fair comparison and as per your original post, you are also comparing the 2 like they are in the same box ie. you can't undertsand how one cannot do one but do the other.
    I'd like to know how you see it as a fair comparison and simply saying 'they both carry risks' isn't a comparison.

  9. #148
    Theophania's Avatar
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked
    832
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Spunkeemonkee there is no point trying to make you understand what I'm saying, because your completely ignoring everything people are saying and in some cases denying it, you can re word something but it's still saying the same thing, and just because your not directly saying something, its what your implying.
    You've also clearly stated yes you took drugs, you were uninformed and regret your decision and this is why I think you are being judgemental because your not on par with women who aren't regretful and are infact informed.
    Secondly your saying 'I'm simply saying both have risks' No, your not simply saying this. If you think its a fair comparison and want the risks of drugs in labour out there (as per your statement of intention) tell us what are the risks to the baby of drugs in labour and what are the risks of drinking to the baby during pregnancy? And how do they relate to each other. In conclusion I think in doing so you will find the comparison so vastly different that standing by a 'fair comparison' comment will no longer stand.
    So please, inform us.
    Please don't try to tell me what I am trying to say. I have made myself very clear in what I have been saying. I am not going to go and comprise a list for you of the risks of both, I never said that had same or similar risks, just that they both carried risks. When did I ever say the risks themselves related to each other. It seems you like to put words in my mouth.... And I agree, there is no point trying to make you see where I am coming from, it appears you too are ignoring what I and others have said... Bottom line - drinking in pregnancy carries risks, taking drugs through labor carries risks.... That is all I have been trying to get across, if people are reading more into what I have written than what I intended well then so be it.

    and ETA I must disagree and say that simply saying that they both carry risks is a comparison. Might not be the same risks, but both can cause damage to the baby.

  10. #149
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,833
    Thanks
    1,192
    Thanked
    974
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I know your not, it would seem a lot of posts have been edited so I can't comment on those.

    Seriously though, I thought ? meant "question"

    ETA. and no, I'm not going to apologise for people being offended by their own assumptions, yes I apologise for being uneducated and a mother of 2 small children whom I find very distracting, I apologise for not wording my posts perfectly air tight in wording.
    This is the thing though...not once have you come in and explained/discussed the risks...Just your OP which made a comparison to drinking alcohol. It does not take a genius to draw a line of judgement.

    When I have talked about this thread, it has been in relation to everyone posting in it, not just you Thermo. There has just been emotional talk, and no actual discussion of facts. This is your thread, if you don't like the way it has headed, I suggest this is the way to move it forward.

    I will honestly say I know the risks of pain meds, but as DD fed straight after a c-section, and scored perfectly on the agpar tests, I am extremely cynical about those risks. They did not affect us, but that is just anecdotal, and in no way reflects the true risks involved. Therefore, I am not willing to wade too heavily into this debate. I am just here to support women and their choices.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

    Moxy  (02-01-2011)

  12. #150
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,950
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SorensMum View Post
    People can respond to your question only and NOT your opinion?
    No, you can, just don't get the 2 confused!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Actually she has been saying throughout that they are a fair comparison and as per your original post, you are also comparing the 2 like they are in the same box ie. you can't undertsand how one cannot do one but do the other.I'd like to know how you see it as a fair comparison and simply saying 'they both carry risks' isn't a comparison.
    Ok, never knew that.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 22:12
  2. *spin off* When did you last drink alcohol
    By CookingMonster in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 14:57
  3. Replies: 102
    Last Post: 20-02-2012, 21:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Smallprint Fingerprint JewellerySmallprint handcraft sterling silver keepsake jewellery that capture loved one's fingerprints, hand & foot prints, ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT