ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell87 View Post
    I'm actually I'n tears thinking about how horrific my labour pains were, I had, gas, pethadine and an epidural as I was induced on the drip, the moment they popped my waters I was I'n agony and begged them to give me epi. But when it came to pushing they wouldn't give me anything I honestly felt I was dying and begged them to kill me, screaming blue murder. I still cry without fail at every labour I see. My son was fine but I didn't even want to hold him much after as I was so sick and I got a 2nd degree tear and 20 stitches. Nothing compared to some. I have a friend who loves her pain free births and finds them enjoyable. I have a extremly low pain threshold and faint easily. Once I fell down a few stairs banged my leg and had a seizure. Drugs In my labour are very necessary. Drinking on the other hand is just for fun, before I found out at 5 weeks I was clubbing twice a week and getting super drunk but I gave up cold turkey for my son.
    Oh hun, but you did it!

And that's all that matters.

You should be proud of yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Many women simply don't realise there is anything to be informed ABOUT. they trust their carers. Often that goes wrong and being informed is clearly the best and most wonderful thing. But it should NOT be used as a blaming mechanism - even if people clumsily pretend it isn't.

Raising awareness is fantastic - but threads like this are not the way to go about it.
    Then in those cases it is up to the OBs and midwives to inform their patients of ALL the risks involved and not to gloss over what can be serious complications. I'm not anti-OB or anti-midwife, I would just like to see more information given BEFORE a problem arises.

We should be able to trust our caregivers. But many times I personally haven't even been offered any information on the procedures about to be performed on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessBeauty View Post
    I probably was a bit harsh. But they did induced me with an undiagnosed breech for 45 hours, and that wasn't really the *worst* thing that happened. It was their general additude and disregard for my opinion about my own body or baby. I really could go on and on but there's a half dozen things they did that I feel was worse than the horrible error of inducing me for so long with a breech.

But I don't think they were cruel. I think they were thoughtless.
    I do find that horrific. I think it should be part of your admissions process when you go into labour, or go in to be induced to have a quick 'peek' to check babies position, as this will show any potential complications.

I was constantly told 'Oh baby has turned!' in the leading up weeks to my c-section, only to insist they look (as I had felt nothing) and then be told he was still breech. These were Obstetricians and Mid Wives who had trouble telling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpunkeeMunkee View Post
    Yes I am reading what people are writing, and what I am reading is alot of defensive comments from people who have used drugs in labor. I am not judging them, I too used every drug available to me throughout my sons labor, and that is something I have to live with now. It lead to the cascade of intervention and then an emergency cesarean, I now know the dangers of taking drugs in labor. You are right, I was not informed, I trusted that the hospital had my best interest at heart, I thought they would take care of me and inform me along the way of things that may be needed. How wrong I was! Instead I was lied to about potential risks and bullied into doing things 'their way'. Yes my fault also to some extent, and I will never deny that. I am most certainly not playing down labor to 'get my point across'. As far as I am concerned it is important to get this info out there. If I can help just one person who is as trusting of the medical profession as I was then I will be happy. Some women don't understand that the hospital doesn't alway know 'whats best' but go into birth trusting them and then so many times have that trust violated. So I am sorry if I seem to be comming across as a bit passionate and full on with this subject but it is something that is very important to me.

I have tried not to go off topic too much, so OP I am sorry about the above post... BUt I felt the need to explain myself. I am not judging women at all I have never said anyone was stupid or ignorant for using drugs throughout labor, I am merely stating the fact that both drinking during pregnancy and taking drugs throughout labor come with risks!!! Although some people want to pick and take what they choose from my post to make me seem unsupportive of womens choice. I am most certainly not unsupportive, I will support women in any choice they make but I am not going to sit here and pretend there aren't dangers involved...
    The problem I'm having with your posts is your complete disregard and dismissiveness to womens experiences during labour.
    This is your post:
    I find it really amazing how many people are carrying on about the risks of alcohol in a pregnancy but scoffing at the risks associated with drugs throughout labor...

I haven't seen anyone scoff at drugs during labour and when a women decides to take drugs there are many factors in play at the time. Are the same factors involved when deciding to drink during pregnancy? So you can still honestly say they're the same and its a fair comparison?

Sure sometimes they are required medically but from memory the hospital I birthed at had a 80% epi rate through labor or something like that.... It is not like compairing apples and oragnes because they are both drugs that can potentially harm a baby its just that one is more socially acceptable than the other
    ???
    .... In cases not involving surgery, taking drugs in labor is also a CHOICE... you don't have to take them but you choose to to stop the pain, fair enough, but please don't play down the risks that are associated with that.

Again no one is downplaying risks and it's offensive to women to assume they don't even know the risks or that by choosing drugs they've put their own selfish needs above their babies and put their babies in harm. It's a huge guilt trip and very arrogant to say this to a mother. You've been through a traumatic birth, pnd and now imagine a women who is going through the same thing at this minute and reading this? Your post is very cold, and dismissive, I'm sorry but thats how it's coming across. Women don't need to feel guilty or that they've hurt their baby or made a bad decision and this is judgemental whether you deny it or not. Like BabelFish said "Giving birth can be very risky. You make the choices that are right for you."
    And I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read through all this cos TBH it's got my blood boiling & my hackles up. Suffice to say I didn't touch alcohol during my pregnancy. I did take pain meds during labour. For me the risks vs benefits were worlds apart. The risks of alcohol for the benefit of having a drink weren't even something I thought about. I just flat out refused it cos I didn't *need* a drink.

The risks of pain meds for the benefit of having a pain free labour & csar were totally different. I *needed* the pain meds.

I was well educated on the risks of both.
    Last edited by Moxy; 02-01-2011 at 09:57.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    The problem I'm having with your posts is your complete disregard and dismissiveness to womens experiences during labour.
    This is your post:
    I find it really amazing how many people are carrying on about the risks of alcohol in a pregnancy but scoffing at the risks associated with drugs throughout labor...

I haven't seen anyone scoff at drugs during labour and when a women decides to take drugs there are many factors in play at the time. Are the same factors involved when deciding to drink during pregnancy? So you can still honestly say they're the same and its a fair comparison?

Sure sometimes they are required medically but from memory the hospital I birthed at had a 80% epi rate through labor or something like that.... It is not like compairing apples and oragnes because they are both drugs that can potentially harm a baby its just that one is more socially acceptable than the other
    ???
    .... In cases not involving surgery, taking drugs in labor is also a CHOICE... you don't have to take them but you choose to to stop the pain, fair enough, but please don't play down the risks that are associated with that.

Again no one is downplaying risks and it's offensive to women to assume they don't even know the risks or that by choosing drugs they've put their own selfish needs above their babies and put their babies in harm. It's a huge guilt trip and very arrogant to say this to a mother. You've been through a traumatic birth, pnd and now imagine a women who is going through the same thing at this minute and reading this? Your post is very cold, and dismissive, I'm sorry but thats how it's coming across. Women don't need to feel guilty or that they've hurt their baby or made a bad decision and this is judgemental whether you deny it or not. Like BabelFish said "Giving birth can be very risky. You make the choices that are right for you."
    And I agree with this.
    Yes I stand by my comments and the fact that I think the two can be compared. Both scenarios have risks, seriously that is all I have been trying to get across but am attacked for being cold... I don't think so. I have merely put forward that there are risks with both. I find it sad that it is ok to put down women who chose to have a drink throughout their pregnancy (an informed decision), but it is not ok to speak about taking pain relief in labor?????

Yes pain relief throughout labor is more socially acceptable than having a drink during pregnancy, don't understand the ?????

WHEN have I ever said that a mother puts her own selfish needs ahead of her baby when taking drugs in labor? NEVER, because I would never say that!! I think you are taking what I have said and twisting it to suit you.

I don't see how I am trying to put anyone on a guilt trip... I am sorry but I have simply stated a fact that there are risks to taking drugs in labor?? How is that trying to put someone on a guilt trip? Its the truth I don't aim to make people feel guilty, not my intention at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SorensMum View Post
    I do find that horrific. I think it should be part of your admissions process when you go into labour, or go in to be induced to have a quick 'peek' to check babies position, as this will show any potential complications.

I was constantly told 'Oh baby has turned!' in the leading up weeks to my c-section, only to insist they look (as I had felt nothing)
    and then be told he was still breech. These were Obstetricians and Mid Wives who had trouble telling.
    I had 8 internals and 8 abdominal palpations in that time. And an ultrasound because they couldn't find a heart beat. Dumbass didn't think to ya know, while your there, check the head position if they heart position seems off. There was no record of that ultrasound though and when they were trying to piece together what went wrOng the next day they almost didn't believe I'd had an ultrasound.

And I just never thought they could be wrong, being told 8 times 'his head is 2-5th or whatever it was'

It was a nurse who told me he was breech before running out the door to get help.

I don't think I could have delivered him breech. He had such a big head (above 97th percentile) I shudder to think if he had have gotten stuck.

Ugh. Yeah. No they didn't do it on purpose. Yes I think they are utter morons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandbump View Post
    Then in those cases it is up to the OBs and midwives to inform their patients of ALL the risks involved and not to gloss over what can be serious complications. I'm not anti-OB or anti-midwife, I would just like to see more information given BEFORE a problem arises.

We should be able to trust our caregivers. But many times I personally haven't even been offered any information on the procedures about to be performed on me.
    Indeed you are right. It IS their job and some do take it for granted, forgetting or not caring because they treat so many thousands of patients. That is no excuse.

I am fortunate to have been fully informed by my care providers (I didn't have an OB) about the risks of everything that was offered to me. Including the cascade of intervention (which did end up happening to me with my first hence my stronger determination to do it my way the second time) down to even the remotest, tiniest risks associated with taking my regular, daily medication throughout pregnancy. All epidural and other labour and birth drug risks were explained in full. All risks associated with possible c-section just in case of emergency. Everything.

I know this doesn't happen for everyone.

But to lay on the blame and guilt to women who are not similarly informed is an extremely low blow. You haven't done this personally e&b, but that IS the purpose of this entire thread and that is undeniable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the intention was to make anyone feel bad about their choices but simply to point out that there are risks and benefits to every choice during pregnancy and labour.

There are many of us who do everything possible to ensure we don't expose our inborn children to possible harm during pregnancy and feel that this should continue throughout labour and birth as well.

This isn't a "drugs are bad mmmkay" thread but merely to point out that it is important to weigh up the risks v benefits before labour so you can make an informed choice.

Its also important to have a support person who can do this for you. Every choice has pros and cons.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

meatpopsicle  (02-01-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Does it really matter if you do take drugs during labour? Its your body, your child and your decision.
    We all expect to have a perfect pregnancy and perfect labour. We all have these good intentions to "suck it up and take it like a man".
    But unfortunately, when push comes to shove, some of us have to give in and use painrelief. Doesn't make us less of a woman or a worse mother. It makes us human.

Quote Originally Posted by SpunkeeMunkee View Post
    I don't understand why people are so outraged at the comparison of taking drugs during labor being compared to an odd drink throughout pregnancy.... Yes there are some dangers to drinking whilst pregnant, those of which are not completely known etc. But there are also dangers of taking drugs whilst in labor... quite an extensive list actually. But I see women getting shot down for having a drink or two whilst pregnant but apparently drugs throughout labor are different You can't deny both scenarios carry risks for the unborn baby.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKoala View Post
    I don't see where thermo said anything about what women *should* do. The question was did you put as much thought into requesting or accepting drugs during labour as you did with not drinking alcohol.
    I know when I did accept the epi with ds1, all memory as to why I didn't want it in the first place went out of the window. All I wanted was relief. It wasn't until after I had it that I remembered why. I didn't think of the risks but I did realise I couldn't move and this slowed down my labour tremendously.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    LOL! I think that the lady started this thread, should've seen this coming. Maybe she did see it coming. Who knows?
    I've seen these kind of threads go wrong as soon as people start to compare and compete

I cant compete and compare in this one though I had an unplanned planned cesarean lol! Yet I still like reading the comments to see who's winning
    I take my hat off to anyone who's gone through labour, full stop. With or without drugs, I dont care. They have gone a lot further than I ever have. I have no clue what a contraction is like.
    TBH I *knew* it would probably happen, because it would seem that you can't start a thread being curious without being jumped on! I really find it odd, sue me I was just hoping to find out other peoples thought process

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think thermo has said anything about dictating women's births. But there have been a few posts 'I had broken XYZ and I coped', as if 'I had it way worse than you and I still didn't have drugs'.

I should add too every birth is different. One of my friends has fast posterior births and she says they are excuriatingly painful. Others have vertex easier births that progress not too fast or slow and their bodies handle it better.

It's impossible to say my birth was worse than yours and I still didn't have drugs. It'slike comparing apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy in the Sky View Post
    I love all this discussion about 'I chose not to have drugs, but it's your choice if you want to...'
    You think your drug-free labour was your choice?? You think the rest of us sat there at 30 weeks and made an informed decision to break out the pethadine? Sorry. That is completely 'holier than thou' and naive as well.

If those of you who were lucky enough to be blessed with a natural high pain tolerance (and you did nothing special to achieve this) plus an uncomplicated labour were not so lucky, how do you know you still would have had a drug-free labour? If you had a breech baby or a non-progressing labour, how do you know you would have been given the choice?

You can only sit there and pretend that a drug-free labour is as much a choice as sitting around on the couch with a glass of wine because you were lucky. Those of us not so lucky find the comparison both ludicrous and insulting.
    Of course it was my bloody choice lol! I purposely didn't go to hospital so I could avoid "all the above" I sure as hell wanted them while I was in labor! Was I going to get out of the pool, get in a car for the 5min car ride, wait to be assessed, be assessed, wait around for an epi? **** no! I was told by my MW that by the time that^ all happened I would have my baby, I labored for another 3 hours with horrible back pain, I was SCREAMING, I don't have a naturally high pain thresh hold

And don't tell me I am high and mighty for ^ I *knew* I would want drugs but FOR ME and MY BABY I thought the risks outweighed the benefits so I chose to be in a place where drugs where that much harder to get, where they wouldn't be offered to me because that's what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm View Post
    whilst this might technically be true, i find his concept hard<br />
    to swallow and a bit arrogant and self-righteous (or perhaps just poorly worded.) If<br />
    this is my opinion and I didn't drink or have pain relief during labour I can't imagine how annoyed it must make others who 'chose' pain relief for their less than subtle pain!
    I'd call it badly worded, my apologies, I should know by now not to start a thread right before I need to cook dinner I had 2 very grump children at the time.

[QUOTE=BabelFish;5465714]

There are risks in ALL birthing 'choices'. Yep, intervention in the form of drugs all the way through to freebirthing.

Giving birth can be very risky. You make the choices that are right for you.

Drinking during pregnancy is simply unnecessary, full stop.
    Last edited by cmd'smum; 02-01-2011 at 17:26. Reason: unecessary