ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's been a long time since I've seen a thread started here with such obvious intent from a member of one 'faction' to denigrate others so harshly.

I seem to remember a thread about freebirth where people came in and tried to outline the risks and someone jumping up and down and asking anyone who would listen to report, report and report some more in between throwing a full scale tanty that anyone could dare criticise freebirth.

But yeah, it's totally fine to start an entire thread in judgement of others that has now turned into a huge debate and been closed and cleaned once already.

Hypocritical, much?

There are risks in ALL birthing 'choices'. Yep, intervention in the form of drugs all the way through to freebirthing.

Giving birth can be very risky. You make the choices that are right for you.

Drinking during pregnancy is simply unnecessary, full stop.
    Last edited by BabelFish; 02-01-2011 at 09:28.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-01-2011),BlissedOut  (02-01-2011),delirium  (02-01-2011),Mummabear  (02-01-2011),scout02  (03-01-2011),TTYL  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandbump View Post

Not all midwives are bad, but not all midwives are wonderful either.
    Yep, I think that's true with every profession because when it comes down to it we are still all an individual and whilst it's mostly caring, considerate individuals who gravitate towards caring considerate positions it's not always the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    birth is risky business. No matter where, how, with whom. There's always a risk something could go wrong, with the best carers, in the best location, with a healthy mum and Bub. There's always risks. We just have to all weigh up what risks we are happy taking .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    Yep, I think that's true with every profession because when it comes down to it we are still all an individual and whilst it's mostly caring, considerate individuals who gravitate towards caring considerate positions it's not always the case.
    very true and very well said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    It's been a long time since I've seen a thread started here with such obvious intent from a member of one 'faction' to denigrate others so harshly.

I seem to remember a thread about freebirth where people came in and tried to outline the risks and someone jumping up and down and asking anyone who would listen to report, report and report some more in between throwing a full scale tanty that anyone could dare criticise freebirth.

But yeah, it's totally fine to start an entire thread in judgement of others that has now turned into a huge debate and been closed and cleaned once already.

Hypocritical, much?

There are risks in ALL birthing 'choices'. Yep, intervention in the form of drugs all the way through to freebirthing.

Yes, this! This is exactly what I tried to get at (although you put it much better) but *sigh* I was bingoed. Apparantly homebirth and freebirth are informed decisions and pain relief during labour is not informed

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (02-01-2011),delirium  (02-01-2011),Mrs Nietzsche  (02-01-2011),TTYL  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post

Hypocritical, much?

100% agree!! Babel you always have a way with words

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Yes, this! This is exactly what I tried to get at (although you put it much better) but *sigh* I was bingoed. Apparantly homebirth and freebirth are informed decisions and pain relief during labour is not informed
    Where did anyone say a home or free birth were informed and a hospital birth was not?

Having a birth at home without researching all the options, learning about resus, and reading about all the dangers is also an uniformed choice.

Going into labour without reading about the risks and benefits of gas, pethidine, epidurals and the cascade of intervention is also an uniformed choice.

That doesn't mean a woman doesn't have the right to choose however if you're going to research all the risks and benefits of Choices during pregnancy, and then which car seat/pram/sleeping method is safest, weigh up the risks and benefits of BFing bs FFing, CIO vs non-CIO then why wouldn't you look into ALL the risks of birth choices and question your care providers?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-01-2011),meatpopsicle  (02-01-2011),Theophania  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because some people do, and some people don't.

There are MANY who trust that their care providers have several years of training and therefore are the best informed to make those decisions.

Right or wrong, that's the way it IS out there in the real world.

As women, we should be sticking together. Not comparing having drugs in labour to drinking during pregnancy to make people feel bad for being weak enough to perhaps need them. Or not informed enough. Or making the wrong `choice' for going to hospital instead of freebirthing or homebirthing. Or to denigrate obstetricians, midwives or other health professionals. I'm sure there were some other reasons this thread was started but I think this covers most of them.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-01-2011),LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2011),Mummabear  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, 'being informed' is becoming one of the new weapons here to make people feel either unintelligent, neglectful or downright stupid for the choices they make.

Many women simply don't realise there is anything to be informed ABOUT. they trust their carers. Often that goes wrong and being informed is clearly the best and most wonderful thing. But it should NOT be used as a blaming mechanism - even if people clumsily pretend it isn't.

Raising awareness is fantastic - but threads like this are not the way to go about it.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (02-01-2011),LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2011),Mummabear  (02-01-2011),scout02  (03-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't drink during pregnancy. Nor would I ever, as there's absolutely no need for it.

I didn't take any drugs during pregnancy either, because *I* didn't need them. Had I had severe Hypermesis I would have, because I would have needed to.

I didn't want to have any pain relief whatsoever during labour - but I made a HUGE mistake, which was agreeing to be induced. After the gel was inserted at 8pm I had a non stop contraction for 9 hours, and was vomitting all night. At 5am contractions finally had a break between them, and I began passing out between each one and was severely dehydrated. So yes I had an Epi. I could not have continued without it. I desperately wanted to avoid a c-section, and the Epi helped me to do so.

If I hadn't needed the Epi I wouldn't have had it. I didn't want it. In hind sight I shouldn't have agreed to be induced, but it was too late once it was done.

Comparing drinking alcohol and taking unneccary drugs during pregnancy and labour, to having pain relief when needed is not fair in my opinion.