View Poll Results: Did you avoid alcohol while UTD but take drugs during labor?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I avoided alcohol when UTD but took drugs during labor.

36 52.94%
  • Nope, didn't touch either.

32 47.06%
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Mummabear is offline Gone.....and no doubt already forgotten
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did my own research on most things preggo related. I made decisions based on personal judgement. However, I also don't subscribe to the theory that seems to run rampant in certain parts of this site that the medical profession is nothing but a conspiracy and they're all out to trick or purposefully misinform us in order to push their own agenda and that they should be looked down upon as some organised form of soul stealing ogres. Medical opinion is generally that alcohol consumption during pregnancy is not recommended, the careful and monitored administration of certain drugs during labour is safe and comes with a minimal and calculated risk.

Apples and organges for me.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mummabear For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (02-01-2011),jellybean86  (02-01-2011),LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2011),Lucy in the Sky  (02-01-2011),scout02  (03-01-2011),SpecialPatrolGroup  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Cannot - and should not - be compared.

Entirely agree with Mummabear.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabelFish For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-01-2011),Moxy  (02-01-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm actually I'n tears thinking about how horrific my labour pains were, I had, gas, pethadine and an epidural as I was induced on the drip, the moment they popped my waters I was I'n agony and begged them to give me epi. But when it came to pushing they wouldn't give me anything I honestly felt I was dying and begged them to kill me, screaming blue murder. I still cry without fail at every labour I see. My son was fine but I didn't even want to hold him much after as I was so sick and I got a 2nd degree tear and 20 stitches. Nothing compared to some. I have a friend who loves her pain free births and finds them enjoyable. I have a extremly low pain threshold and faint easily. Once I fell down a few stairs banged my leg and had a seizure. Drugs In my labour are very necessary. Drinking on the other hand is just for fun, before I found out at 5 weeks I was clubbing twice a week and getting super drunk but I gave up cold turkey for my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SorensMum View Post
    Uhh... really? I had to sign pieces of paper saying I'd been informed of the potential consequences of my spinal tap.

I always found it funny how they don't make you sign pieces of paper describing the potential consequences of a VB.
    But when you had your spinal tap did someone go through ALL the potentional risks with you, including maternal and fetal death? Did someone tell you the make up of the drug? Epis contain some of the same elements as cocaine! Did someone explain how much crosses over the placenta? How about potentional difficulties after birth like respiratory problems for the baby?

Or for the mother? I didn't know about the shakes until after my epidural, no one told me about the potentional for the spot to still be tender almost a year and a half later. Or the epidural headache. I was told complications were very rare and I would be fine, and pain free, isn't that what I want?

I never knew about the cascade of intervention until after my labour either. My OB didn't explain that having an epi increased my risk of instrumental delivery and csection.

And why don't you have to sign a waiver when you have a VB, probably because a VB is a natural process that ours bodies are designed to do while a csection is a surgical procedure. Not dissing csections, almost had one last night, and will be having one in a maximum of 4 weeks and 1 day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    But don't they choose it to reduce/eliminate pain thus they are choosing it for their own personal gain? Yet they don't drink during pregnancy, why? Because it's whats best for the baby...but IMO that concept is forgotten about when they choose to take drugs during labor.
    whilst this might technically be true, i find his concept hard<br />
    to swallow and a bit arrogant and self-righteous (or perhaps just poorly worded.) If<br />
    this is my opinion and I didn't drink or have pain relief during labour I can't imagine how annoyed it must make others who 'chose' pain relief for their less than subtle pain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    [QUOTE=elleandbump;5465497]But when you had your spinal tap did someone go through ALL the potentional risks with you, including maternal and fetal death? Did someone tell you the make up of the drug? Epis contain some of the same elements as cocaine! Did someone explain how much crosses over the placenta? How about potentional difficulties after birth like respiratory problems for the baby?

Or for the mother? I didn't know about the shakes until after my epidural, no one told me about the potentional for the spot to still be tender almost a year and a half later. Or the epidural headache. I was told complications were very rare and I would be fine, and pain free, isn't that what I want?

I never knew about the cascade of intervention until after my labour either. My OB didn't explain that having an epi increased my risk of instrumental delivery and csection.

QUOTE]

Yes to all the above. I was informed before I made the decision to have a c/section and take the drugs that go with that. I was very blessed that my bub didn't wait for all that to be done and he popped while they were transferring me to the op table to have the drugs inserted. I was well informed of all the risks to me and my bubs. I have been with all of my babies (5) in 3 different hospitals. I have been given a pain relieving drugs with full disclosure on there effect on my and my bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandbump View Post
    But when you had your spinal tap did someone go through ALL the potentional risks with you, including maternal and fetal death? Did someone tell you the make up of the drug? Epis contain some of the same elements as cocaine! Did someone explain how much crosses over the placenta? How about potentional difficulties after birth like respiratory problems for the baby?.
    Here is how the conversation about alcohol goes "Alcohol can have severe and permanent deterimental effects to your developing foetus. As it is a completely unnecessary recreational drug - don't drink"

Here is how the conversation for a spinal tap goes. "Here are all the horrible things that could unlikely happen to you and your baby if we give you a caesarean... but if we don't give you one, you or your baby will definitely die. Enjoy the birth of your child."

When a woman no longer has a choice (physically or emotionally) and the caregivers believe the drugs are necessary, why make a difficult situation impossible by pointing out every possible side effect of the drugs?

The reason a different level of information is passed on for alcohol and labour drugs is that alcohol is unnecessary and something all women can easily obstain from when properly informed. Often labour drugs are necessary and unavoidable regardless of how much information is given.
    I was so scared going in for my emergency c-section. If the Ob had sat there and read me a text book list of every possible worst case scenario for drugs that I had no choice in taking, it would have caused emotional birth trauma that would have taken WAY longer to heal than any minor side effects of the spinal tap to me and my child.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it really amazing how many people are carrying on about the risks of alcohol in a pregnancy (mind you we are talking about a drink on an odd occaision, not binge drinking) but scoffing at the risks associated with drugs throughout labor... Sure sometimes they are required medically but from memory the hospital I birthed at had a 80% epi rate through labor or something like that.... It is not like compairing apples and oragnes because they are both drugs that can potentially harm a baby its just that one is more socially acceptable than the other.... In cases not involving surgery, taking drugs in labor is also a CHOICE... you don't have to take them but you choose to to stop the pain, fair enough, but please don't play down the risks that are associated with that.
    Last edited by Theophania; 02-01-2011 at 07:31.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandbump View Post
    But when you had your spinal tap did someone go through ALL the potentional risks with you, including maternal and fetal death? Did someone tell you the make up of the drug? Epis contain some of the same elements as cocaine! Did someone explain how much crosses over the placenta? How about potentional difficulties after birth like respiratory problems for the baby?

And why don't you have to sign a waiver when you have a VB, probably because a VB is a natural process that ours bodies are designed to do while a csection is a surgical procedure. Not dissing csections, almost had one last night, and will be having one in a maximum of 4 weeks and 1 day.

Great Post. I was never informed of the dangers of the epi I was reassured everything would be fine.. I was left with burning pins and needles down my leg for 6 weeks, and the worry from that made my PND so much worse. I was also not told the dangers of a cesarean, after a 27 hour labor, drugged up I had a piece of paper thrown in my face and told to sign it, end of story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpunkeeMunkee View Post
    I find it really amazing how many people are carrying on about the risks of alcohol in a pregnancy but scoffing at the risks associated with drugs throughout labor... Sure sometimes they are required medically but from memory the hospital I birthed at had a 80% epi rate through labor or something like that.... It is not like compairing apples and oragnes because they are both drugs that can potentially harm a baby its just that one is more socially acceptable than the other.... In cases not involving surgery, taking drugs in labor is also a CHOICE... you don't have to take them but you choose to to stop the pain, fair enough, but please don't play down the risks that are associated with that.
    Are you actually reading what people are writing? Your being completely ignorant and I think you are downplaying labour to try and get a fruitless point across.
    As for your 2nd post, it is also your responsibility to read up on the effects of drugs during labour, and you are offered alot of information at your hospital appointments prior to your labour. You can't expect the hospital to inform you of all the risks during labour because at that point if you need a c/s, the risks of drugs far out weigh the risks of not having a c/s?