Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blocked milk ducts

Hi, just wondering if I could get some help with a breastfeeding problem. I had masitis about 3 weeks ago and since then I have had recurring blocked ducts. These occur in the same place as the mastitis, although, I don't get the flu symptoms like I did when I had mastitis. I also have a white spot on the nipple (I've heard some call it a bleb) and I think that this may be the cause of the blockages. The white spot doesn't go away, but sometimes it doesn't look as bad as other times. It also, sometimes hurts to feed, but not all the time. I have tried to pierce the spot with a sterilised needle, but this doesn't work. I've also tried all the things for blocked ducts like heat, massage, expressing etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Also, my baby is 4 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry the only advice I have is the heat, massage etc.

I have been told to try a different position as wherever bubs chin is pointing is where most milk will be drained from so if the blockage is on the outer side of your breast try the under arm hold and if its on the bottom of your breast try sitting bub straddling your thigh and feeding that way.

Also I have had blocked duct/mastitis twice now and each time I just feed and feed and feed from that side, I make sure the other side doesnt get too engorged aswell. I just get into bed and let bub suckle all day if need be. Both times I have cleared it up myself.

Cant help with the bleb as I dont know what this is.... Sorry

For the mastitis i take lots of fresh garlic and echinacea too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reply: the pero clinic

Dear Mimicj,

Mastitis can be caused by blocked milk ducts or an infection of the breast – which is why you have experienced the pain and blocked ducts in isolation, and also with the flu symptoms. They are both cases of inflammation of the breast and ‘mastitis’.

While you should discuss the white spots with a lactation consultant or your doctor, it may also be worthwhile considering other factors that may be causing the mastitis.

Mastitis can occur due to pressure placed on the breast during feeding – bub’s incorrect attachment and/or sucking, or holding or pushing against your breast; or simply by wearing a tight or uncomfortable bra.

Reduce your risk of mastitis by taking care of your health, following good hygiene practices with breast pads and creams, ensuring your baby is well attached and is feeding regularly.

In the meantime, continue to feed your bub from the sore breast - it can also help to position your baby so that her chin points towards the blocked duct. Continue with the massage and heat packs and, if necessary, also talk to the lactation consultant about expressing or reducing your milk supply if your breasts are becoming engorged with more milk that your bub can drink.

the pero clinic